Author Topic: 1.8T Chips??  (Read 2818 times)

Dylan303

• n00balicious
    • http://agent.kw.com/dylandalton
1.8T Chips??
« on: May 25, 2004, 05:57:28 AM »
I have a 2001 1.8T Jetta.  I would like to get it chipped.  Right now I am hearing that APR has the best chip.  Any input or recomendations would be appreciated.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
1.8T Chips??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 10:43:22 AM »
Garrett (GIAC) That's what I'm going to get...one day, when I have the money.
Madigan has one in his car.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

1.8T Chips??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 10:43:22 AM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
1.8T Chips??
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 10:48:44 AM »
When it comes to chips these days...they are all pretty much similar...depends on the cost, and options you may want.  Right now APR is working on DPP, direct port program...which means they will flash your OEM chip and that will protect warranty issues, if that is a concern.

I have APR, different application than what you need, but it has a 2 program set, with a lock out so the program can not be changed.  I can run my stock program and a 91 oct program, then lock out changes with a security code so it appears to be OEM when I head into service.

As far as other members with APR, I believe Chas, Shummer and Noob-Shum have APR as well, that is the 4 that I can think of off the top of my head...

Garrett is a great company as well, as JR stated...but ultimately it will come down to cost and what you really want...or need.

cheers
jon

shummer

• Modded
1.8T Chips??
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 01:57:19 PM »
I'm real happy w/ the APR chip. I really like the ability to switch between programs the most. Gets pretty pricey once you start adding programs.

Here's a short review that's part of this thread over at clubb5.com. Granted, it's for Passats and your Jetta's engine will respond differently, but it covers quite a few chip options.

Year: 2000

Engine/Engine Code 1.8T Tiptronic/ATW

mileage/mileage with chip: 50000 miles/40000 miles chipped

Chip details: APR v3.0 EMCS - i) stock, ii) 91 octane, iii) valet, iv) 100 octane, Fault Code Erase/Throttle Body Alignment, and Security Lockout.

Review:

Pros: Plenty of power to chirp the tires at the end of 1st/beginning of 2nd with stock suspension and tires. Thought that was impressive since it's an automatic. Switching between programs (using the cruise control buttons) for dealer visits, bad weather, and track days is my favorite feature.

Cons: At the time, there was no local dealer in CO (now there is) so I had to mail my ECU to AL. I was without a car for essentially 3 days.

Review on Customer service: Excellent customer service. Was promised race and valet programs for free once developed - unavailable at time of purchase. 2 years passed, programs were developed, and APR employee who promised me the free programs no longer worked there. Another employee verified the letter from ex-employee and honored the promise.

price paid: $573

additional details: Denver, CO. The chip does wonders at altitude. No complaints about the chip. The weak components (i.e. DV, vacuum hoses, MAF) become very evident once chipped.

Scuba2001

• Modded
1.8T Chips??
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 02:28:37 PM »
I, too have the APR chip.  I got a package deal at an event and paid $498 for 2 programs.  They messed up, and ended giving me 3 programs.  So, I ended with stock, 91, and 100 octane programs.  I only wanted 91, and 100 but got stock too.  I dont have the ability to lock out programs as my ECU isnt able to communicate as much as some of the new ECU's.  So, I have an external switch to switch between programs.  Sneaky me just used the RCA cable like connection, pinched it between the 2 halves of the ecu box, ran my wire and switch, and then strapped the switch inside of my fuse box.

I cant be happier with my purchase.  Puts a grin on my face, and always makes my day when I can stomp some rice fairly easily.

Steve

colo18t

• n00balicious
1.8T Chips??
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 07:30:48 PM »
I have a neuspeed 1.0 bar chip on my 99 18t b5 it is defentaly the cheepest and does not differnt modes like the apr but i love it it made my car faster and besides i am a poor student i cant afford to pay 500 for a chip it would be noce though.  enough rambling id go with the apr with the differnt modes.  There is a very good write up on culbb5 info forum.
9' 1.8t Passat B5

To Many Mods Not Enough Money

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
1.8T Chips??
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 07:38:33 PM »
Yep, for affordability Neuspeed and Upsolute are the cheapest.  Both are about 0.8 bar IIRC.

I had teh Upsolute, ColoradoB5 has it as well.  I really had no complaints with it.  I really enjoyed it and it is around the $300 range.

Without a doubt, APR is really the best overall.  For what you get for the money it is fantastic.  You just need to be able to afford it.  You can always add programs on, again, IIRC.

Pretty much all the chips provide a standard HP and torque increase.

As mentioned, Clubb5.com has a good writeup I beleive in the Information forum.  Also, check the classifieds there, people are always selling used Chips. Just need to make sure the engine codes match.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: 1.8T Chips??
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 10:26:54 PM »
Quote from: "Dylan303"
I have a 2001 1.8T Jetta.  I would like to get it chipped.  Right now I am hearing that APR has the best chip.  Any input or recomendations would be appreciated.

All the chip companies are pretty good. Since i have the same car as you i would say give the APR a try. I had upsolute in the beginning for about 5k miles and it was really good, but not super smooth. I tried the GIAC for a couple hundred miles, and then tried the APR. I have had the APR for 40k miles now and still smiling.  The AWW motor  has a stronger peak with the GIAC chip, but the APR is smoother. Maybe not as much peak power, but it seems to be broader and smoother overall. This smoother power fit my needs better.

I am running APR V.2 w/ stock, 91oct, 93oct, 100oct, FCE/TBA and security lockout. :thumbsup:

GTIguy

• Stock
1.8T Chips??
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 12:52:31 AM »
Don't for get Revo www.revotechnik.com

I had the Revo software in my 20AE GTI and loved it, I also had the SPS 3 module as well.

Avalon Motorsports is the Colorado Revo dealer.

www.avalonmotorsports.com   Give Zev (the owner) a call and tell him Pat sent you (I know him pretty good), he'll take good care of you.
itrous is like a really hot chick with STD's, you really want to hit it , but you're worried about the aftermath.