Author Topic: $200 off Phatnoise  (Read 1787 times)

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
$200 off Phatnoise
« on: May 10, 2004, 01:47:41 PM »
I don't know if any of you received this email.. but in case any of you are interested in getting the Phatnoise system for $499 instead of $699.. buy it online at drivergear and use VW200006 for the promo code in checkout. This works for any model VW...

Tempting.. very tempting....although I think I will just try to wire in an aux input for my iPod and save myself $500
MWJD?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
$200 off Phatnoise
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 02:29:30 PM »
Yeah, the dealers have been offering these at deep discounts because supposedly PhatNoise is going to sell them direct, bringing the price down.  So the dealers have been rtying to liquidate inventory so they aren't stuck with these pricey units.  Of course this was the word around Christmas time so I'm not sure if that has changed.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

$200 off Phatnoise
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 02:29:30 PM »

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
$200 off Phatnoise
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 08:26:19 PM »
Yeah..? That's cool.. you can get the Kenwood Music Keg for a lot cheaper, it's the same thing. Phatnoise and Kenwood merged a while back. But from what I understand you can't use the Music Keg unless you have a Kenwood deck, which is why the Phatnoise is so cool. Maybe if they come down another $200 I will bite. ;)
MWJD?

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
$200 off Phatnoise
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 03:48:30 PM »
I have the Phatbox and it's a great system, unfortunately I had a software conflict or a corrupt cartridge and I haven't used it for almost a year. With my move, new job, getting a new computer and Phatnoise's rather slow and not-so great customer help I haven't had a chance to devote enough time to fix out the bugs.

When it did work, it was cool having the existing stereo controls to scan through your library (by artist, genre, album, etc.) and having the voice prompts guiding you through everything.  It took some time assigning proper names, song titles, and genre to each mp3 file, but once you get through all of that it is well worth the time and effort.

The 20-gig cartridge is a bit on the small size -- I suggest going to the 40-gig cartridge if you want to store your entire music collection in one place at a decent compression/quality level.
The cartridges are on the pricey side, and I hope these will come down in price to comparible file storage systems.

Installation is an easy plug and play, but securing it to the CD-changer slot is a little tricky and time consuming (I could only use one screw and had to wedge a sheet of styrofoam in the gap for a solid and tight fit).  You have to install it as far back in the shelf as possible (and manipulating the cords to save on space), so that the door panel could shut properly (the protruding cartridge will be pressed by the door panel when closed, creating a slight bulge, but that's ok).

I'm thinking once I get this system working again, I'll get a subscription to Napster for a couple months and download a bunch of rare or hard to find tunes.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
$200 off Phatnoise
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 06:38:26 PM »
Ha, I just got an e-mail on this from Audi, same price same discount:

AU200001