Author Topic: Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...  (Read 3430 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Colorado_Baja

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,672
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« on: May 25, 2004, 05:49:06 PM »
I just did my first oil change ever this morning.  Need less to say geting the oil filter off was a pain in the ass.... their is little or no room to work with on the transversly mounted 1.8t.

Any way my question is. Im seeing a little dribble of oil on the engine below the filter, is it normal for their to be a little drip after you put a new filter on? Or should I tighten it a touch more? I dident want to over tighten it for fear of possably stripping it out.

I know all of you B5ers dont have transversely mounted 1.8t's but I would think this would be a universal thing.

Thanks in advance for any info! :D

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

92UrS4

  • Administrator
  • Supercar
  • *****
  • Posts: 5,934
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 05:54:47 PM »
There should be no leak from the filter.  Isn't there a crush washer in there between the filter and the engine? I think that may need to have been replaced.

I think Eric changes his own oil on his Jetta, same trnasverse mounted engine, he might have some more insight.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 05:54:47 PM »

Colorado_Baja

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,672
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 06:02:50 PM »
No crush washer that I saw around the filter.  Their is however a crush washer around the drain plug that I did replace.
The oil that is on the engine is really dark im thinking that it may have goten on the engine when I had to stab the filter with a screw driver to get it loose and than driped down.

Thanks Jay!

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

92UrS4

  • Administrator
  • Supercar
  • *****
  • Posts: 5,934
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 06:04:50 PM »
That is probably it Greg.  I knew there was a crush washer somewhere.  I let the dealer do all mine on the Passat since there was a Powertrain warranty.

I would clean the spot and watch it, if ooil is leaking fromt he filter you should be able to run your fingers round it and see if anything is coming out.

Colorado_Baja

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,672
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 06:49:16 PM »
Thats what it was, just oil dripping down from higher up. its been sitting for about an hour and it hasent changed.

Thanks again for the reasurence Jay.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Eric18T

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,668
Re: Just did my first oil change and have a quick question..
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 10:48:26 PM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"
I just did my first oil change ever this morning.  Need less to say geting the oil filter off was a pain in the ass.... their is little or no room to work with on the transversly mounted 1.8t.

Any way my question is. Im seeing a little dribble of oil on the engine below the filter, is it normal for their to be a little drip after you put a new filter on? Or should I tighten it a touch more? I dident want to over tighten it for fear of possably stripping it out.

I know all of you B5ers dont have transversely mounted 1.8t's but I would think this would be a universal thing.

Thanks in advance for any info! :D

Greg


Always replace the washer on the drain plug, let the oil drain then undo the oil filter. There is no seperate gasket on the oil filter. et the oil drain for 30 minutes of so. Reinstall a new oil filter coating the gasket on the filter witha  tad of NEW oil. tighter it up, replace the drain plug, with new crush filter. Fill oil up with good synthetic oil. and start it up, check the oil again. Go for a drive and check it every so often..

and no i don't run nor recommend Mobil 1 oil..

oh yeah and the filer placement is shitty and yes you will make a mess.

Colorado_Baja

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,672
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 11:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the info Eric!
I used Valvoline SynPower full synthetic this time around so ill have to see how I like it.

Is thier any better or easyer way to get the filter off than stabing it with a screwdirver or is that the only option.
I coulent see a better way but its always worth asking.

Thanks again

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Eric18T

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,668
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 12:34:42 AM »
Quote from: "blueGOLFturbo"
Thanks for the info Eric!
I used Valvoline SynPower full synthetic this time around so ill have to see how I like it.

Is thier any better or easyer way to get the filter off than stabing it with a screwdirver or is that the only option.
I coulent see a better way but its always worth asking.

Thanks again

Greg


yeah there is. buy the long handle filter wrench.. life is good with the right tools.

Colorado_Baja

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,672
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 03:21:12 AM »
I have a filter wrench, I could get the wrench around the filter but had no room to turn it.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

GTIguy

  • Stock
  • *
  • Posts: 84
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 09:28:27 AM »
Did you try this style with an extension?

itrous is like a really hot chick with STD's, you really want to hit it , but you're worried about the aftermath.

jayryan

  • Supercar
  • *****
  • Posts: 6,211
    • JayFriesen.com
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 09:44:01 AM »
I use Mobil 1 Syn...I think you're the first to say you don't like it...hmm. I have no problems with it.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,668
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 10:21:07 AM »
Quote from: "GTIguy"
Did you try this style with an extension?



that is very similar to the tool i have. If i recall correctly i picked it up from AutoZone or checker 3 years or so ago

Eric18T

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,668
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 10:21:55 AM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
I use Mobil 1 Syn...I think you're the first to say you don't like it...hmm. I have no problems with it.


Long story. I will explain at a later date. ;)

jayryan

  • Supercar
  • *****
  • Posts: 6,211
    • JayFriesen.com
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 11:50:23 AM »
Quote from: "Eric18T"
Quote from: "GTIguy"
Did you try this style with an extension?



that is very similar to the tool i have. If i recall correctly i picked it up from AutoZone or checker 3 years or so ago


BTW...good tool, but mine was stolen a few years ago with a bunch of other stuff...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

  • Heavily Modded
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,672
Just did my first oil change and have a quick question...
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 02:27:38 PM »
Mine Dosent look like that, Ill have too look into geting one that would have worked alot better.
The one I have slips around the filter and tightens when you turn the handle.

Thanks for the info.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi