Author Topic: Plugs and Pads...Suggestions?  (Read 5672 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Plugs and Pads...Suggestions?
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:36:46 PM »
I need to change the plugs in my 1.8t and do the rear brakes. Any suggestions or recommendations…

TIA
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 01:44:50 PM »
I'd just call ECS and get whatever they recommend.  They normally have a pretty good idea of what to do.  Jon's been happy with the PBR Ceramic pads he bought from them.  I personally have only used four different pads.  Keeping in mind I don't mind dust, in order from worst to best in my opinion:
1.  Mintex Red
2.  EBC Green
3.  OEM
4.  Pagid Sport Blue
The biggest difference between any of these is the Pagid pads.  They bite hard when cold, are very fade resistant, and extremely durable.  That's a tough combo to find.  You'll pay a premium for them, but in the long rund I think it's worth it due to their durability.  The Red Box pads lasted me less than one year.  The Pagids look like they're going to last twice that long.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 01:44:50 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 01:51:00 PM »
I picked up some Beru sparkplugs from Neuspeed. Love 'em, no issues and it's an upgrade very close to the standard plug price.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 02:16:16 PM »
I oredered OEM plugs from Virtual World Parts (our sponsor) for about $40+. Cheaper than the dealer by far.

I believe there is some debate about using plugs other than what's specified for the engine.  If you search Clubb5.com you will see that some poeple have paid top dollar for the best plugs out there ony to have poor performance on that engine.

I was always satisfied with OEM plugs.

As for Pads, Pat is pretty much on the money with performance and wear there.  I am about to join the PBR Ceramic club.  I am getting ready to order pads and front rotors. I'd like to get the Pagids as well, but I am on a tight budget.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 02:35:26 PM »
I just changed my plugs when I did my oil yesterday and I got the NGK R Laser Platinum from ECS. I have only had them on thier a day or so but they seem fine so far.

Hawk put these same plugs on his A4 at Jons mini garage day a while back.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 02:51:54 PM »
As for plugs I just used the Autolite (sorry for not having the model).
As for pads and rotors, I used Ferodo all around and Zimmerman rotors for the front and OEM for the rear.  The Ferodo's seem to be working well and have little brake dust.

Not overly exciting, but it works.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 03:49:18 PM »
I found a couple posts on clubb5 indicating that Hawk pads might be a little less dusty than the PBR pads, so I just ordered some Hawk HPS from our sponsor (VWP) yesterday.  The PBR ultimates were my next choice.  I tried to get the PBR metal masters for their low dust, but couldn't find them in stock.

For plugs, I first tried the autolite (3923) plugs sold at Checker cause they were cheap and I was in a hurry.  I recently switched to the OEM NGK's (they're cheaper at VWP than ECS) and haven't really noticed a difference.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 04:59:43 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guy's - I just ordered the following:

PBR Pads and NGK Plugs

Friday afternoon will be fun.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 02:49:30 PM »
i need to redo my rear brakes, the mintex red box brake wore out real fast in the rear, not sure why, but the squeeck is driving me nuts....
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 08:52:35 PM »
Sweet Randy,  I like the PBR pads a lot!  Good choice.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 08:41:18 PM »
do you guys buy the brake pads locally?  and who has the best price?

I'm starting to chop around for brake pads, originally I was looking at tbe EBC Greenstuff because they are reasonably priced and have the D-connector for the wear sensors.

I just want something with decent stopping power and that is durable and produces as little dust as possible.  The PBR Ceramic maybe a good choice.
Does PBR have the wear sensors?
I know the Hawks do not.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 09:02:16 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"

I just want something with decent stopping power and that is durable and produces as little dust as possible.  The PBR Ceramic maybe a good choice.
Does PBR have the wear sensors?
I know the Hawks do not.

The PBRs do, but you have to splice, they have a square or rectangle plug.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 11:20:58 AM »
Actually the PBR Ceramics are plug and play.  No splicing necessary.  I got them recently and so far I have been very happy with them.

No squeal, little more dust than Mintex, but twice the stopping grip.  I like them.  Good fade and initial bite.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 11:37:04 AM »
Oh man per the ECS site they aren't for Audi's at least:

With Sensor wires, but the plug configuration is incorrect for the USA market. You will need to splice your only sensor connector in order for the pad warning system to work properly.

Well that's good for you B5 guys!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 02:50:20 PM »
The Padgid pads seem to be around the same price as the PBRs, EBCs and Hawk -- what are the pluses and minuses for the Padgid since I haven't heard much about them?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 02:52:55 PM »
I know Pat has used Pagid, but I have not heard too much about them.  Maybe he will chime in here.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 02:59:47 PM »
The Padgid pads seem to be around the same price as the PBRs, EBCs and Hawk -- what are the pluses and minuses for the Padgid since I haven't heard much about them?

The Pagid "Blue" as it is known is what Pat runs I believe.  I would be suprised if it was the same price as the PBR Ceramic or Hawk pads.  The Pagids will last a long time and have little fade.  They are good both cold and hot.  They also help reduce wear on the rotors.  They are worth the investment, but they are pricey.

For someone like Pat, buying those pads saves him money because he's burn through so many sets of other pads. :)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 05:51:28 PM »
Like Dub and Gietl said, I'm a big fan of the Pagid Blues.  I haven't had PBRs or Hawks, so I can't really tell you anything about how the Pagids compare to them.  I would also be surprised if you could find the Pagids for the same price as the others.  If so, let me know.  :!:
If you're going to be around tonight we can talk about it.  Feel free to give me a call if you'd like.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 08:31:50 PM »
They are not the Blues, but the Blacks that are comparibly priced with the other brand of pads.  I assume the Pagid Blues are the high performance pads.

Anyways, I just bought a set of Axxis (also known as PBR) MetalMaster pads online.
I got them for $95 (fronts and rears) -- I decided that it is best pads for the money, have consistantly good reviews, good resistance to fade, and puts out very little dust.  It also has the wear sensor connectors (plug and play) which is a plus.
The MetalMaster is inbetween the Axxis Ultimate and Axxis Deluxe in terms of performance and price.  The MetalMaster is a semi-metallic compound that produces very little noise and dust; while the Ultimate is a Ceramic compound which provide excellent stopping power (suitable for track and competition) however it is noisier and produces a fair amount of dust; and the Deluxe is an organic compound pad that is good value OEM replacement.

velo

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 08:58:54 PM »
Where did you order them from Alan?
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 01:37:59 PM »
to be exact, I paid $54.59 for the front pads and $33.99 for the rears -- total: $97.03 including UPS shipping.

I ordered them from Import Replacement Parts: www.importrp.com
They also sell Mintex, Padgid and Hawk.
A few people on CB5 have ordered from them and they have been satisfied, it's also apparently the best price you will find on brake pads online.

velo

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 01:26:33 PM »
I asked because that's the same place I ordered some Metal Masters from, but they called me the same day to tell me they were out of stock.  I would have thought our cars would use the same pads, but I guess not.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 01:59:57 PM »
Whew, just ordered my pads, PBR Ceramics, I looked at that site for the PBR/Axxis and they prices were a little better, but I was concerned about stock and so forth.

I also wanted to order a new temperature sensor so I went through ECS.

Man, having these hardcore brakes are pricey, 4 pads for each front rotor.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 02:51:14 PM »
Wow, I just got confirmation that more order status has changed to shipped, damn those guys are fast!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 03:39:17 PM »
wait a minute, the Axxis front pad set for $54.49 are just for one wheel?!!!

The pads with the wear sensors are on back order at ECS, I believe.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 03:39:33 PM »
I cant complain either.  The times that I have ordered things online through ECS, it usually ships within a day or 2.  I just ordered sway links from them on Tuesday, and they were shipped Wednesday.  They will be here this afternoon.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 04:37:45 PM »
wait a minute, the Axxis front pad set for $54.49 are just for one wheel?!!!

The pads with the wear sensors are on back order at ECS, I believe.

Alan, the A6 2.7T, Allroad and S4 brake setup is really heavy duty.  I think the Passat just uses 2 pads each side.  My brakes use 4 pads each side up front which is why it costs so much more.

When i looked at the site you posted it was $90 for front pads for my setup since I need 8 pads instead of 4.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 05:50:07 PM »
whew, that's a relief I have been spending too much $$$ on my car lately.