Author Topic: XBOX or PS2 Online Gamers?  (Read 1941 times)

s4LEX

• Stock
XBOX or PS2 Online Gamers?
« on: May 28, 2004, 05:39:10 PM »
Any of you folks do online racing? e.g. Need for Speed Underground (PS2), Project Gotham Racing 2 (XBOX), Rallisport 2 (XBOX). Played some of this online with random people, but might be fun to hook up to race some locals sometime. Have a pretty sweet modded Golf on NSU, although I've been mostly playing PGR2 (Nordschleife rules!) and R2 lately.

I'm GrendelAlex on XBOX Live if you are ever online late send me an invite. R2 has some sweet rally-modes online and awesome graphics.

Also play some online Crimson Skies, Top Spin (tennis), Rainbow Six 3 and SOCOM II (PS2). Have a couple of online capable PC racing games, but I've gotten lazy with how easy the XBOX and PS2 are to hook up. Waiting for Sony's Gran Turismo 4 later this year, or the XBOX GT-killer that Micros0ft announced.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 07:30:44 PM »
I have been wanting to get an Xbox just for the racing games and since the price went down, I think I will try to get one in the next few months.  I already have the high speed connection (for Halo and UT2K4) plus the WiFi stuff, so I'm ready.

I'm down.  Which one should I get first?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 07:30:44 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 08:35:18 PM »
Dub, What's your thought of UT2K4?  I have played the demo and liked it.  I am thinking of picking up the full version.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

s4LEX

• Stock
Good question: I'd buy both PGR2 and R2
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 08:37:07 PM »
PGR2 has lots of Audis and a couple of VWs (including the R32 if I recall). It also has the 14 mile Nordschleife (classic Nurburgring track). Plenty of online competition and a fun game overall, although more arcade/less sim. Best road racing game out for the XBOX. The gamers have come up with several game variations like Elimination and Cat & Mouse (picture two teams each with one Mini and the rest Enzos and TVRs) to extend the replayability.

Rallisport 2 just came out and is a ton of fun if you are a rally fan. Also has ice racing, hillclimbs and rallycross. Hillclimbs are a blast. One thing I like is in the rally modes, you can see your competitors outlines so it is kind of like racing, but still comes down to skill and time since they can't bump into you or run you off the road.

I think those are the two best racing games on XBOX and both have online modes, but there are several good deals in the $20-30 range like Colin McRae 4 and Pro Race Driver 2 if you finish those off.

The games come with a 2-month trial, but you really want a headset to get the most out of XBOX Live. I'd get the package deal, like $60 for a headset, one year Live subscription, and a bundled online game or two. Send me an XBOX invite when you are plugged in and we'll take it for a spin.

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 10:14:59 PM »
i play Diablo 2 online, but have not plaayed it in months. need to get back online and play if i ever have the time to breathe and relax at the same time...
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 11:10:38 AM »
UT2K4 is a blast.  It took all of the playability of the original UT and plut the awesome graphics of UT2K3 together and added vehicles.

It's lots of fun, but the speed is pretty fast on the gameplay.  I still prefer Halo with all of its PITA gameplay issues (no respawn protection, lag, etc.)

The racing games are something the pc just does not do as well though, so I do want to get an xbox.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 11:57:46 AM »
Man, I have all those games too.

Ive got Halo, Project Gothem 1, Ralli Sport Racing 2, and a few others.  Ive wanted to get online and start gaming, but not enough interest in my house to get highspeed internet.  Ive thought about getting the Dish Network high speed (not sure if they have it or not) as I hear its faster then basic cable stuff.  Maybe I can get the parents to do it.

Steve

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »
My wife won't let me buy an XBox...I've wanted one FOREVER!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

s4LEX

• Stock
Tell her you can play with your friends online instead...
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 04:59:45 PM »
of having to go and hang out with them at bars until 4:00 AM. At $5/month the XBOX Live is cheaper than a decent beer. Add broadband $30-50/month and you're still spending less than on a night out with the guys.

Either that or sell how much you will save on gas+tires and tickets+insurance by being able to race online instead of on the street  :cool:

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 05:45:24 PM »
Im only 20, so I save that money already not even going to the bars. ;-)