Author Topic: any thoughts on the SPP Electronic Engine Fan?  (Read 2099 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
any thoughts on the SPP Electronic Engine Fan?
« on: June 01, 2004, 03:22:55 AM »
I saw this GB on CB5:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81020

Sounds like a nice performance mod, but I'm concerned with the time, effort and difficulty on this install/mod, as you need to remove the bumper, headlights, radiator and install new wiring to make it happen.
I already bought the SPP lightweight aluminum crank pully, but don't know much on how to install it and was wondering if I really need to go through some of this stuff to install this crank pully, if so it may make sense to do it all at once and I don't feel so frustrated in getting myself into a mod I don't really want to do.

Thanks!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 12:06:22 PM »
I have the EFK from SPP.  It's made by SPAL and I'm very glad I did it.  It's a great way to get ten horsepower for little money without putting additional stress on your engine.  However, I have the original size pulley.  I do not know why, but I've heard a few times it's a bad idea to use the smaller pulley and EFK at the same time.  Chas might know.  Also, if you call up some of the tuners or post on the A4 forum of AW I think you'll get a response.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 12:06:22 PM »

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 02:24:13 AM »
I don't know about the combo of the two things (UDP and EFK), but doing both would give a nice HP increase for sure.   8) I don't know why you wouldn't want to do them both together. The pulley shouldn't have any direct relationship to the fan system. Other that it's all driven (or drove) by belts.

Anyhow, if you do decide to get this Alan, yes it would be a perfect time to do the UPD along with the EFK. It's all right there in the same area.

Just a suggestion, but get a APR or GreedSpeed snub mount as well. That's a nice mod too and again, you'll be right there as well.  8)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 02:24:49 PM »
ka-ching!

I'd guess I'll be eating Kraft Dinner for the next month!

BTW, what does the snub mount do?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 02:33:15 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"

BTW, what does the snub mount do?

It's a MUCH harder engine mount for the front. Makes your connection with the car alot more solid. I don't know exactly what it does, but it makes my shifting and power feel alot better and more solid not to mention adding a bit of vibration to the car and makes is sound WAY COOL!

BTW...you can pick up the GreedSpeed Snubmount for approximately 8-9 Kraft Mac and Cheese boxes. So that would equal out to about a weeks worth of food for you :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 02:57:56 PM »
Nevermind, the snub mount seems like an affordable performance mod.

I just bought one from ECS, along with electronic fan kit from SPP.
Anything else for the mod sucker?

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 03:27:13 PM »
Sounds like you have it all covered so far.

I love my APR snub.  Granted, its added some vibs in the cabin, but after a month or so, it quieted down.  I must say though, that the mount itself stiffens the movement of the engine and transmission.  With the OE mount in the front, you can feel the car shift its weight, and also feel the slop (movement) in the shifting of the car.

And, since you are already have that stuff all moved out of the way of the car, might as well replace that snub.  Sometimes, its in more then one peice and requires it to be replaced anyway.

For bumper/snub install, check out my howto on CB5.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 08:42:45 PM »
...Yeah...what he said...

And while you're in there, you might as well put in a KO4 and do your Timing belt HAHA!

....just kidding.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 10:56:55 PM »
you wil be 2 screws away from having the timing belt so do it to.

if i had the cash i would have done and UDP, EFK, sunbmount all at the same time as my head/t-belt. best do do the work only once (n ot that it is difficult work, i'm just lazy)
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!