Author Topic: Is it hard to adjust the headlights in a 2002 S4 ?  (Read 1635 times)

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Is it hard to adjust the headlights in a 2002 S4 ?
« on: June 01, 2004, 10:18:27 PM »
While it was at the dealership for some other warranty work, they put in new headlights (not sure if it was just the housing) because the lights wouldn't "hold" the adjustments.  Now they have it set too high (at least that is what everyone else thinks, I get flashed a lot, even though the brights are not on).  I can see MUCH better at night than I used to, but it definitely looks like it is set a little too high.  I guess they are auto leveling, would they be hard to adjust by myself or with the help of one of you guys/gals ?  Or should I just take it to the dealer again and have them adjust it down, and risk them putting it too low :P  Thanks for any advice you guys and gals have :)

Jonathan

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 10:21:27 PM »
Jonathan, if tehy are HIDs, they should be auto levelling. We can check AW for what the standard coding is, but really, you don;t want to mess too much with teh levelling.

If they replaced the lights under warranty and you think te levelling is off go back and make them fix it.

However, I bet yours were aimed down previously and these are aimed normal.  I thought mine were aimed high too, but they seem to be level.

Also, if the houseings are brand new and there are new bulbs and all that they will probably appear brighter since the housings aren't chipped/faded and there are new bulbs.  Who knows. :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 10:21:27 PM »

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 10:31:14 PM »
Hmmmm good point, if there is a "code" that all the lights are put at, it would be pretty hard to screw that up??  Gonna go look at them now, see if they just replaced the whole thing, I can't see why they would do that since (I think) those suckers cost quite a bit of money!  Driving at night now is sick, definitely *looks* like I have my brights on, but then I turn those on, and it gets even brighter  8O   The way they used to be was pretty bad (thanks for telling me to get that checked Pat!), but I got used to them since some guy at the dealership said that was how they were supposd to be...

Jonathan

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 11:32:10 PM »
Another point I forgot to make, is there is "manual" leveling, just like all headlights there are screws by the housing to level them.  You enable/diable a code to set the lights.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 02:52:12 AM »
Told you they were low sucka! I was thinking, "I don't know what all the hubbub is about HIDs if this is what you get."

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 03:05:30 AM »
Quote from: "shummer"
Told you they were low sucka! I was thinking, "I don't know what all the hubbub is about HIDs if this is what you get."

hahaha  you should see them now ....  Light up everything around you  8O   and unfortunately, probably pisses half the people off in front of me  :cry:   I think I need to get some feed back from you guys, as I drive towards you, and come up behind ya, to see how bright they are before I mess with em  :P   Honestly can't tell atm if they replaced everything, as I have driven quite a bit since they were fixed, lots of bug juice and dust on my car right now...

Jonathan

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 03:09:00 AM »
After riding in our friends' decked out Toyota Sienna minivan w/ HIDs, it was like a miniature sun shining from the hood! They were amazing! All the people flashing you are just haters.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 01:06:10 PM »
I agree!  They get pissed off that they are suddenly the moth to the light and they can't have it. ;)  Actually I have played with mine over time and I figure they are close enough when people do not flash me.  I just think it is funny when I am at a intersection that slopes up and people flash me.  I just hit my brights and that shuts them up!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 01:18:50 PM »
I'll tell you what Jonathan, I'll get a shotgun and you drive at me, if they are too bright I'll just shoot em out and you'll know ;).  J/K, I really bet they are ok.

You are more likely to get flashed on dark roads than well lit city roads.