Poll

Do you want a Garage day this weekend?

Yes
4 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: June 12, 2004, 09:41:41 AM

Author Topic: Garage Day?  (Read 11071 times)

shummer

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2004, 01:45:21 PM »
Quote from: "velo"
I haven't had time to search clubb5 for good brake replacement write-ups.  Have you guys come across any good ones?  I've got my Haynes manual too, but need to find time to look thru it before Sunday.

Installing brake pads and rotors

Pics don't work, but it has text describing them.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2004, 01:26:17 AM »
Quote from: "madigan"
Actually, JR, Eric, Pat and Jason are the only people from the Club that I've had over...I'll PM you my address. Who else needs my address? Send me a PM...

Thanks.

Mark

I do!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Garage Day?
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2004, 01:26:17 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Garage Day?
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2004, 01:42:25 AM »
Mark I need it as well please

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Garage Day?
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2004, 04:02:57 AM »
Mark, can you send me your address also?

What time do you guys want to get started on Sunday?  I need to help my roommate move a little bit first thing in the morning, but can probably make it to Mark's by 10 a.m.  I could drop the brake bleeder off at Jay's on Saturday if you need it first thing on Sunday.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

Chas

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2004, 04:04:06 AM »
I'll be there too guys. Mark what time are we planning on starting? And I'll need your addy too. I'll send you a PM asking for it. Here's the catcher for me, I can only be there till noon. My wife has some plans of her own. So I plan on being there as early as possible. Mark, you just say when I can be there.  8)  :-D

Also, Dave, is it possible to get the tie rod ends done in only a few hours? I think you're the only one to have done these so far. I have all the parts including the new bolts. I can't see how it could be all that difficult, but I'm not sure. Your help will be greatly appriciated on this one. I know you said you have church in the morning. I'm sure I can muddle through.  :P

I'll bring my brake piston compression tools as well as my hand tools, but I have to say that after the last massive garage day I'm a bit itchy about loaning out my tools. I had a few (smaller) tools go missing and they never got returned. So please don't be offended if I am constaintly asking where my stuff is.

I'll also bring a floor jack and my jack stands. I can leave the brake tools, jack and stands if they are still needed when the time comes for me to leave. I just need a promise that they'll get returned to me once the garage day is done. I really need my tools to at my finger tips when I need them. I hate having to track them down. I hope everyone understands and doesn't think I'm an A$$hole. I just like having my stuff when I need it.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

velo

• Lightly Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2004, 04:11:39 AM »
Chas, I totally understand what you mean about keeping close eye on your tools.  I've always tried to keep close tabs on my tools at garage days.  Not that I have nice tools, but it's just a pain when a tools goes missing and you have to go replace it.

I'll be happy to get your brake tool back to you ASAP.  It's the least I can do to thank you for loaning it to us.  See ya Sunday!
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2004, 09:53:14 AM »
Chas I will get there as soon as I can.  Winston has also done this and created a great write-up, I have the link below.  Big thing is to hit the end of the tie rod where the tie rod ends and the tie rod boot/bolt meets and let it soak for 15-20 min.  Use either WD40 or I used PBBlaster (similar stuff that worked well for me).  The other big thing is using one or two vise grips for clamping leverage.  I have two that you can use if needed.

If you can get your wheels off and spray the tie rods and let it soak, by the time I get there you and I can hit each side and get it done pretty quickly.  Remember that you will need an alignment after this.

Winston's tie rod write-up:

Lastly, roger that on the tools.  Evidently, I was a major culprit at Jon's garage day.  I think with my tools and tools box so near Jon's stuff that some people may have gotten confused.  I think both Jon and I were relieved to get it straightened out.  I do not know if he ever got everything back.

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2004, 02:31:48 PM »
Chas, what time do you have in mind? I'm up for anything...no pun intended. :lol:
mad wagon

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2004, 02:46:23 PM »
I'll be there at 10am or whenever guys decide when -- Stapleton is only a short drive for me.
What sould we do on food?  Mark, do you have a BBQ?

My tie rod ends needs replacing after running over some serious road debris, but the dealership is working on it as I speak (at $460 including alignment, along with a new CV at $275, and a new tranny gasket $407), but then again we have a lot to do on Sunday anyways.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2004, 03:02:57 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
I'll be there at 10am or whenever guys decide when -- Stapleton is only a short drive for me.
What sould we do on food?  Mark, do you have a BBQ?

My tie rod ends needs replacing after running over some serious road debris, but the dealership is working on it as I speak (at $460 including alignment, along with a new CV at $275, and a new tranny gasket $407), but then again we have a lot to do on Sunday anyways.

I have a BBQ and King Soopers is two blocks away if we need to pick up anything. I will pick up some stuff on Saturday, but everyone should bring anything they might want...We can just do the standard stuff; burgers, brats, sausages, etc...
mad wagon

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2004, 03:23:49 PM »
cool, my firm designed the King Soopers (along with all the buildings at the end/entrance of Town Green), it will finally give me an excuse to take a look around.

Actually, I'll pick up a bunch of awesome fresh homemade brauts from Whole Foods.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2004, 03:37:17 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
Actually, I'll pick up a bunch of awesome fresh homemade brauts from Whole Foods.

Sounds good. I was going to pick up brats from Whole Foods too, but I'll let you do that, since the ones you had at your last GTG were amazing!
mad wagon

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Garage Day?
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2004, 04:15:13 PM »
Steve from Shadetree software might be interested in coming I think.  Someone had posted aboutdoing brakes on AW (A6 forum) and I mentioned we were going some Passats and my Audi and he seemed interested.

They make the pro-diag software for hand helds which is very similar to VAG-COM.  Which by the way i will have my Pro-Diag with me on Sunday if anyone needs to do or check anything.

So I told him to e-mail me about Sunday for details.

Chas

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2004, 03:42:07 AM »
How about 9am Mark? Is that too early. I really want to get this done. But if that's too early for you, let me know. It's your call. :)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2004, 05:42:11 PM »
Quote from: "Chas"
How about 9am Mark? Is that too early. I really want to get this done. But if that's too early for you, let me know. It's your call. :)

See you at 9am Chas!

Mark
mad wagon

velo

• Lightly Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2004, 08:03:08 PM »
Still need your address Mark.  PM it to me if you can.  If I don't hear from you, I'm pretty sure I've got your number and will just call in the a.m.  I'm hoping to show up by about 10 or so.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2004, 12:54:15 AM »
Okay guys. We are starting the day around 9am, so feel free to show up any time after 9am. Bring anything you might want to eat or drink...We're going to grill up some grub for lunch. If you don't feel like bringing anything, King Soopers is two blocks away...I also have wireless access in my garage if anyone wants to bring their laptop...I have a Bently and part # guide...um, I think that's about it. See you in the morning! Give me a call if anything comes up.

Mark
mad wagon

shummer

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2004, 01:39:01 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm going to be a little late like after 1pm. Hopefully I can still lend a hand if anybody is still around.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Garage Day?
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2004, 01:50:16 AM »
If anyone will be attending this garage day that lives near Wads/470 and could pick me up on the way, it'd be appreciated.  Otherwise I might just do the light rail/bike thing.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Chas

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2004, 03:15:52 AM »
See ya all in the morning!

So Pat, is the car in the shop or is the clutch that bad that it won't drive any more? Hopefully it's in the shop getting new clutch parts.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Garage Day?
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2004, 11:23:21 AM »
I can still drive it, but it does NOT feel good.  I'm just letting it sit at the mechanic's until the part gets here Tuesday or Wednesday.
I may not show today at Mark's.  Not sure I want to bike/light rail it if I can just go for a regular ride instead.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2004, 11:52:31 PM »
Mark, Thanks for hosting today's garage day.  I had a lot of fun and you have a wonderful house.

madigan

• Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2004, 01:30:50 AM »
I had a fun time hosting today's garage day. Space wasn't a problem either...a few tools were left behind (see pic) and a some Gojo (Alan W.). Check out the pics here:

http://www.rmcb5.com/modules.php?set_albumName=6-13-04-Garage-Day-at-Marks&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Thanks to everyone who stopped by!

Please contact Alan (velo) if any of these are your tools. He has taken responsibility for them. Thanks!
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day?
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2004, 05:06:04 PM »
Nice looking brakes guys!  Looks like it was a great day!

Hey Alan R. One thing I noticed is that you have the slots on your discs going inward as they spin.  When I got mine they are going the opposite way.  I did this because they were marked L and R.  

My first thought was "This isn't right" followed by "Well if that's the right way, I guess I had better do it.

Is there a preferred way?

Thanks,
W
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

velo

• Lightly Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2004, 05:29:38 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Hey Alan R. One thing I noticed is that you have the slots on your discs going inward as they spin.  When I got mine they are going the opposite way.  I did this because they were marked L and R.  

My first thought was "This isn't right" followed by "Well if that's the right way, I guess I had better do it.

Is there a preferred way?

Thanks,
W

You bring up a good question.  I initially thought the rotors should be installed the reverse of the way I did so, but asked on clubb5 just to be sure.  Turns out that you should "install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor always contacting the brake pads first".  That quote is from a tirerack page describing the Brembo slotted rotors.

I also was referred to this site for Baer brake systems which recommends similar installation.  However, Alan W's rotors came labelled "right" and "left" in the opposite of what I'd read, so I think he installed his reversed of the way I did.  My feeling is that since the vanes in the middle of the rotors are straight and not curved, it probably doesn't matter.  In race applications you might notice a difference, but for those of us who track our cars only occasionally, it probably won't matter much.  (I could be wrong though.)

Alan W, that Baer site has the rotor seasoning and pad bedding instructions I was showing you yesterday in case you want to look at them.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day?
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2004, 05:35:14 PM »
Thanks Alan.  That is exactly what I was thinking as well.  I just assumed ECS was correct and you know what that means...

I'll send them an email just to confirm.

velo

• Lightly Modded
Garage Day?
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2004, 05:39:03 PM »
OH, and thanks again to Mark (and Lisa) for playing host to us all.  Thanks to Dave and Andrew for stopping by and lending a hand even though they didn't have any work to do on their own cars.  And thanks to Chas and Jay for the loan of their brake tool and bleeder.

You guys rock! :D
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Garage Day?
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2004, 05:54:35 PM »
Double those props to everyone.  I know I only had time to get my rears done, but it was great to see everyone.

Alan, thanks for dropping everything off last night.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Garage Day?
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2004, 11:36:27 AM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Thanks Alan.  That is exactly what I was thinking as well.  I just assumed ECS was correct and you know what that means...

I'll send them an email just to confirm.

Just got a confirmation from Adam at ECS Tuning:

Quote from: "Adam @ ECS Tuning"
The way in which we have slots does matter.  Here is how they should look.
(You might have to use your imagination a little)  The drivers side the
slots should go like this [  /  ]  The passenger side [  \  ]  If this still
does not help or you have some more questions please let me know and I would
be glad to help you out.