Author Topic: Shhhh - Need Some Seat Help, plz?  (Read 3455 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Shhhh - Need Some Seat Help, plz?
« on: June 04, 2004, 04:00:06 PM »
Sup Fella's.  Thought I would post this over here.  Didnt want to let the cat out of the bag completly so here are some things that I have been looking to do.

Since I autocross my car atleast once a month, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to need some better seats in the Passat.  A few months ago, I got a chance to sit in the R32.  Those seats in the R are amazingly comfortable.  For anyone that hasnt sat in the R32 yet... I highly recomment it, just for giggles.  So, since that time, I was on a mission to get some R32 seats to match up to the Passat rails.  Over on Vortex, there is a feeler/gb thread for R32 seats so I set in on the adventure.  Come to find out, for the 2 seats, its atleast $4,000 for the OE's.  Guess who supplies the seats for VW?  Koenig.  They have a standard seat, the K5000, which the R32 seat is based on.  The R seat just has a different fabric, and of course, has heat, and airbags.  The K5000 seat is compatible with racing harnesses.  PN for that with the harnesses cut out is K5000G.

So, here is the question.  Does anyone know if the Koenig seats have rails available for the Passat?  Ive only been able to locate items for the Mk4 chassis cars.  JCWhitney has rails, but doesnt stock the seats.  Im wanting to do a black leather, and tan leather on the seats, both fronts.  Later, Ill upgrade the rest of the interior to leather as well.  There is an option for heating as well, along with multiple color combos.  What all is needed to get these to fit in my rig?

And, please, on the DL.   :cool:

Steve

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 10:49:25 PM »
Man, I would love to have those in tan.  Sorry I cannot answer you question, I hope you can work it out.  I would like to see how your car would look with those.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 10:49:25 PM »

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 11:45:44 PM »
Thanks Dave.

With the contrasting tan, black, and aluminum in the interior of the car, these will really set things off.  So, a bump TTT to see if anyone can help me out, or atleast point me in the direction I need to be in.

Thanks,
Steve

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 10:46:05 PM »
well if you go and do this be sure to post where you got the seats and the rails and everything... would love to see some pics of this...
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
If only I lived near the "Aluminum Outlaw", I could probably help you out.  I'm in the process of designing my own seat brackets.  I just installed a Cobra Imola II racing seat and the brackets that came with it had to be significantly modified to accomodate my 6'2" frame.  Plus they are steel and weigh almost as much as my seat - 13 lb brackets, 16 lb seat.  argh...

So in a few weeks I'll be working with a mech engineer here at work to replace my hacked-up steel bracket with a custom aluminum one.  Hopefully I can supply a detailed drawing so that you could have them fabbed up.  You'll still need to find some toothed for-and-aft adjusting rails, but you should be able to get them from the seat mfr.  My bracket will bolt into the floor, the rails to my bracket, the seat to the rails.

A few weeks?  Sheesh, what have I been smoking... I've got WAY too much to do.  More like a few months...
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 05:44:09 PM »
Well, it will be a while for me as well so whenever, lemme know.

Steve

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 12:18:28 PM »
Steve,

I was just recommending Kraut-Sled (Randy) do the same thing.  His driver seat went bad and since his car is still under warranty, I told him to just pay the difference and get the R32 seat.  I guess that won't work though...

Good luck and let us know what you go with...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 12:22:10 PM »
That would be possible to do but thing is, R32 seat frames arent a direct swap into the Passats and other B5 chassis cars.  You can weld them in or make a custom braket for them, but thats money.  Let along, I think ONE R32 seat costs about $2k?  I remember it being talked about on the Vortex thread where the feeler GB is going on.  Big money, and the replica ones without the airbag from Konig are much cheaper, but dont have the airbags.  They do have a heated option though, at the cost of $199.

Steve

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 05:25:01 PM »
Alright guys, I just got an email back from Karl.  He said that he can do something up and below is what I just got from him in an email.

Quote from: "Karl@Keonig-USA"
Hello Steve
 Thank you for your interest in Koenig Seats.
Unfortunately we do not have a sample packet available. But if you visit your local VW dealer you get a very good idea for our fabric quality.
The colors are pretty much true on our web site. (slight variations are to be expected from one production lot to the next)
Assuming you are looking for the K5000G (which has the harness cutout in the top section) the price is $699 each in cloth,
for leatherette add 99.00, for real leather add $599. If you want the harness hole for the sub strap in the seat bottom add 59.00
Shipping is $59 each. If you want sliders they are 79 and the bracket for the Passat is 99.
If you order a pair a discount for VWVortex members of 10% applies.
Hope that answers your questions, we are looking forward to hear from you soon.
Karl
Koenig-USA

Quote from: "Steven Jarrett"
I have been looking all over the 'net for a state side retailer for the Konig k5000 seats.  Is there a fabric packet that you have available where I could possibly view some fabirc samples before I make a purchase?  Im looking at getting a tan/beige leather inside, and a black leather outer side on the seats.  Also, I would want the cutouts for the racing harnesses.  Do you all make seat brakets for a 1998 VW Passat rails?

Thanks,
Steve

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 06:50:21 PM »
Quote from: "Steven Jarrett"
... Do you all make seat brakets...

My Boy's from the SAYUTH now, tell us about it, heah?  He said "you all", "you-all", "y'all", "yew-awl"... whaah sheet-fire, he even wrote it inna letter!!!

Cool, Steve - I grew up in Chattanooga.  It's good to hear home-folks tawk.   :cool:  :D  :)  Thanks for sharing this info - I think the Koenig is a great option for a lot of people.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 01:52:00 AM »
WTH man, Im not country AT ALL.

I may live in Carolina but when you hear my voice, you would never know it.  I was born in Jersey and later moved to Florida where I didnt have to worry about any "dirty souf" folk.

The seats, very much welcome.  The seats are amazing.  Karl said that the same material used in the R32 seats is the same materials they use then building the K5000, the seats we are looking at.  He said we can get the same fabric and design as the R32 seats, we just cant have the "R32" embriodery and airbags.  Still, not bad though as for anyone who has sat in the R, knows how comfortable and supporting these seats are.

Steve

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 11:32:57 AM »
Steve,  the R seats are very comfortable.  I can't believe they charge $2000 a piece for that though.  They better be doing some serious body massaging for that price.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 01:21:02 PM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
WTH man, Im not country AT ALL.

I may live in Carolina but when you hear my voice, you would never know it.  I was born in Jersey and later moved to Florida where I didnt have to worry about any "dirty souf" folk.

:lol: yeah, but it's creeping in! :)

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 02:28:32 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty"
:lol: yeah, but it's creeping in! :)

NEVA sonny.