Author Topic: 2nd Annual RMCB5 GTG Aug 20-22, 2004  (Read 12312 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
2nd Annual RMCB5 GTG Aug 20-22, 2004
« on: June 08, 2004, 03:20:52 PM »
Check here for the original planning thread.  This still may be the ClubB5.com national GTG, but if that does not pan out to happen in Denver this year, we will still hold our 2nd Annual RMCB5 GTG Extravaganza at the same time.

Virtual World Parts will still sponsor us, but I plan on also asking a few other places to sponsor us, send banners, etc. for the track days.

Pat and I have been talking about the track and this year, we would like to consider going to Pueblo for a day.  I will let Pat post why this would be a better track in spite of the extended drive time to get there.

At this point, the dates we are looking at are for August and September, but we want to get started now to allow people to plan for the GTG.

Let's get it on.

Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 04:58:45 PM »
Well, most of us know Second Creek well enough to know what it has to offer.  It's a great track and tons of fun.  However, some of us would like to drive a different track to mix it up a little bit.  Pueblo has a killer track with great variety of speed and turns.  A friend of mine that races a lot says it's the best around.  Jon and I saw One Lap of America there a month or two ago and were both very impressed.  Check out the website:
http://www.pueblomotorsportspark.com/pmiroad.htm
It's about an hour of extra drive time each (from my place in Littleton) than Second Creek, but I think it would be worth it.  They actually have some trees there for shade, unlike SCR.  Anyway, I'm a big proponent of holding the event at Pueblo, and I think Jon would probably say the same thing.  It's about the same price as SCR, and I think scheduling the Pueblo track would be easier than at SCR.
How does everyone feel about this?  I'm thinking we should set something up for September or October to keep the heat to a minimum.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 04:58:45 PM »

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:56:02 PM »
Couple of things to add:

1) Is anyone even interested in this being a Nat GTG deal from the CB5 perspective? I've been looking over there in the events and happenings thread, and havn't seen a whisper of it. If there is truly interest in this, someone should take the reigns and get on it pronto. In past years the planning for a Nat GTG was WELL underway by now, giving those who plan on attending at least some notice to arrange time off

2) I understand the desire to get to know another track. I hear (granted, AGAIN this year) that this is the last season for SCR. I know that this has been rumored in years past, and turned out NOT to be true, but if it IS, it might be a last hurrah

3) I have recently seen activity at Rocky Mountain Motorsports park? (name?) Near me in Mead (about 1/2hr north of Denver) Recent P-car events being held there tell me either the owner drives a P-car, or they are renting the track all by themselves! This is certainly a closer alternative. I have NO idea as to cost, could be less, could be more, could be not an option!

Opinion:
If we're going to do something that far out of town (that's a 2+hr drive for me, and pleaty long for those on the north side of Denver) then I propose planning evening events and staying in Pueblo. After driving 2+ hours, then driving the car hard for several more, I know I won't be relishing a 2+ hour drive home. That's not to mention if god forbid anything went wrong with ANYONE'S care, we would be quite a distance from any local resources we might have.

I've always wished that we could do some different day/group drives then just the local Denver stuff however. I'm not sure there are any fun public roads down that way, but could be fun to find out. My desire has always been to do a local day (SCR\ whatever) then to a drive up to vail/or even steamboat stay overnight, drive a different route home.
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 09:04:37 PM »
Hey Rian,
We checked into the Mead track last year and found them to have different requirements than Pueblo and SCR.  Mead requires you to have an ambulance on site if I remember correctly, and maybe have your own special insurance.  I really don't remember the details, but that was the worst option of the three last year after we did the research.  It'd be cool to have somthing that close, but unless there have been major changes there, we can do better elsewhere.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 02:08:21 PM »
I like the Pueblo idea.

And I agree that if this is going to be the Nat'l GTG, someone better get on it at CB5... I'll volunteer to post an initial feeler... lemme know.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 02:37:04 PM »
I like the Pueblo idea. Maybe make it an over night thing, then take a drive through the west side of the state on the way back or something?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 03:10:11 PM »
I have posted a feeler thread over on CB5 to see if anyone is interested in joining us for this.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=820738#820738

I also plan on posting over on VWvortex, and the Audiworld forums as well.  I plan on including everyone so I will also post to the local clubs, like DCI and 719.

Everyone check out the links and post comments and suggestions as you feel are helpful in the conversation.

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 03:29:04 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
I like the Pueblo idea. Maybe make it an over night thing, then take a drive through the west side of the state on the way back or something?

How does anyone feel about camping? It would be fun drive all day and then find a nice place to camp...
mad wagon

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 05:03:13 PM »
I'm down with camping or a hotel.
-Chuck Patterson

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 06:32:12 PM »
Count me in on this!  Camping is a great idea.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 10:22:06 AM »
Camping is a very cool idea
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 02:01:07 PM »
I would like to camp, but with everything going on, I'll have to wait and see what happens with this.  I LOVE to camp though.  This would be fun.  It would add a lot of extra stuff though.  And the cars would get pretty dirty.

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 02:16:10 PM »
Hello Everyone, I would prefer the Pueblo idea, since it is something different than SCR.  As far as accommodations, I would prefer to stay in a hotel, because of my back issues right now, however I could handle camping too.  Along with the track, a long twisty drive would be ideal, maybe up to a place to camp, and then return the next morning.  Count me in on the planning side for sure!

Thanks everyone,

Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 04:13:31 AM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
 Pueblo has a killer track with great variety of speed and turns.  A friend of mine that races a lot says it's the best around.  Jon and I saw One Lap of America there a month or two ago and were both very impressed.

Anyway, I'm a big proponent of holding the event at Pueblo, and I think Jon would probably say the same thing.  It's about the same price as SCR, and I think scheduling the Pueblo track would be easier than at SCR.
How does everyone feel about this?  I'm thinking we should set something up for September or October to keep the heat to a minimum.

I do agree with Pat, it is a killer track, and a ton of fun.  If you all are open to inviting others, I bet I can wrangle up a bunch of MINI folks to go in on this as well.  That track would even things out between the cars fairly well. long straights would benefit the B5 platform, and the tight corners would benefit the MINI folks...make for some fun times and competition with times.

I certainly hope I can make it...the earlier you all pick a date, the better I can plan...my schedule is way packed now with 2 major job commitments...which I will fill everyone in on soon enough.

cheers
jon

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 01:18:50 AM »
a short road trip and/or camping sounds like fun.

Our passats even make great camping tents with the rear seats folded down (yes, I've slept in my car once and it was comfy).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 02:02:19 AM »
Dates!! We need dates... No not that kind of dates, but actual numbers of the days in a certain month. :roll:

I'll have to check and see when the kids are scedualed to go back to school. I'd love for it to be later in the summer season just because the heat is so very hard on our cars. Turbos and heat make for no fun at all.

"Oh, can you get three dates for my friends?" What movie was that from?  :P  :)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 02:06:31 AM »
Quote from: "Chas"

Animal House

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 02:41:04 AM »
Quote from: "gietl"

Animal House

That was one of the all time best scenes!  :)

But back to the discussion, what dates are we talking here. I like the idea of later in the year time frame. The last couple years at SCR has been horrible. The heat is draining on the cars and drivers alike.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 02:37:43 PM »
OK, Chris (pass-variant), a mod from ClubB5.com, requested a couple date for us to think about.

CB5 National GTG thread

These will hinge on the track availablility dates for Pueblo.  Pat will be back on Sunday, but in the meantime, let's get some opinions on dates.  

I know Jay has some availability issues in August, so everyone pipe up and let us know what works for you.

Winston

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 02:46:18 PM »
I will be out of town during Aug 13 - 22, August 8 is Bug In.

Don't hinge the National GTG on one person, if I miss it I miss it, I want what works best for everyone.

We could do Aug 6 - 8, maybe finish up at Bug In?

I agree August may be really hot, especially that first weekend.  However, I agree with the challenges of getting people out in September even though the weather would be better.

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2004, 06:22:53 PM »
Either of the dates Chris suggested are fine with me, the only concern I'd have is that the weekend of the 8th is only 7 weeks away! Honestly, Sunday's have been the slowest day of the GTG from every year. Might not be a bad Idea to do a show/shine kind of deal as it's already a planned event and a no brainer for our planning purposes (one less thing to do in a short time frame)

I understand peoples desire for cooler weather, turbo's prefer it, as does my skin in direct sun at a track! However I think you'd all have to admit (as I sit here looking out the window) that Colorado weather is anything but predictable. It could well be a nice 80deg weekend, and any given weekend in Sept might be 100! (like last year) So I think planning around that is just a hit and miss thing anyhow.

I'm still not all that hooked on the Pueblo track thing (just my opinion, and I'll go with whatever the group ends up doing) For those of you who are at SCR quite a bit, I totally understand your reasoning, it'd be nice to do something new, and probably more challenging. For those of us with <30/40 laps total at SCR I have to say, that
a)I'd rather drive a track I know a little because it's more fun and less chances of error.

b)Perfer not to learn a new track where no one really knows the line(s), no real instructors, with several beginners/inexperienced track folks during a weekend like this. With 4 or 5 of you tire whores fine :) but I'm not sure it's the greatest place for 20-30 track novices. Lets face it, at SCR top speed for most of our cars is <90. At Pueblo where the oval comes into the road course I hear speeds can get quite a bit higher (what I've heard, I have NO experience at Pueblo)

I'm glad this thing is getting started though!
Rian

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2004, 06:40:31 PM »
Thaks for the input Rian.  Check out my volunteer thread.  Maybe we can meet up and our popular meeting place, the Blake Street Tavern to do some planning next week.  I need all sorts of volunteers to help[ get this planned and make it leaps and bounds better than last year's.

What say you?  You still eat, right?  wink wink?  Those CH's didn't hurt too bad?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004, 06:47:02 PM »
Oh and the track day is going to be open to anyone interested in going...not just euros or Audi/VWs/Mini's!

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004, 07:04:37 PM »
How about nurses? will it be open to nurses?
:)
Sorry, couldn't help it!
Rian

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 07:25:43 PM »
Quote from: "Rian_Colorado"
Sorry, couldn't help it!
Rian

It is definitely open to nurses in case there are any "injuries" at the track.  I will go out on a limb and also open this up to supermodels and millionaires that want to give me money to start my own business.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2004, 11:30:18 PM »
I probably won't be able to do any of it if I land this job, so go ahead and do whatever you want...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2004, 01:21:58 AM »
Quote from: "Rian_Colorado"
Sorry, couldn't help it!
Rian

heck yeah, I will invite them all, we can make a weekend of it, they are totally game to hang iwth everyone...

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2004, 12:03:05 PM »
If you guys need any corner workers at PMI, let me know...

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2004, 03:44:29 AM »
The Pueblo course is a demanding track. The front straight is more than a 1/4 long followed up with som nice twisty sections. So this will also be a brake intensive course. Something to think about on a long drive back to Denver with the daily driver.

But I am also intrigued by try the car on a new track. So what ever works out. Has any more investigation gone into looking a the track at Mead?
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2004, 11:12:49 AM »
Has any more investigation gone into looking a the track at Mead?

Well according to the information Pat found out last year, Mead requires both insurance and an ambulance on site when using the track and that would require more $$$, so I think that option is out.  I don't know anything more about that than this.