Author Topic: 2nd Annual RMCB5 GTG Aug 20-22, 2004  (Read 12206 times)

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
2nd Annual RMCB5 GTG Aug 20-22, 2004
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
Oh, nuts, these things are hard to plan...
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2004, 07:15:19 PM »
I'm going to figure out when the tracks are available tomorrow and get back to you guys Thursday night at Blake Stree Tavern.  Oh, I suppose I could post here too. =P
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2004, 07:15:19 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2004, 12:59:09 PM »
August 14 & 15 would be best for me, but I can make arrangements if it is the weekend before.

Let's get a date nailed down so we can all look forward tothe fun.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2004, 01:33:13 PM »
Well, I just made a couple phone calls and got some good info.
First, no one ever answers when you call SCR, so I just left a mesage for Bob to call me back.
As for PMI (Pueblo), the weekends of the 14th and 21st are booked.  This includes the Fridays leading into these weekends.  Monday mornings the track is always closed.  I asked him for an exception, but that was denied.  He said Mondays after 1:00 they are open and we could do it then, but that didn't sound too appealing to me.  I guess that is an option, but maybe only if nothing else pans out.
The only Friday PMI is available would be the 27th.  I know some of us have kids that will be in school then, so it's not ideal, but it is what it is.
The only other option we have at PMI during the month of August would be Friday the 6th.  There is a Porsche club event that weekend, and some of them come down the day before to test and tune so we would not have exclusive rights to the track.  There wouldn't be many on the track, but enough to make a difference.  If we did it that day we would be charged $100 per car.
If we find a day when the track is available for exclusive reservation like we did last year, the cost is $1,250 per day.  We would be required to purchase insurance in addition to this cost.  This is not a big deal though, as we can just piggyback on the track manager's insurance through Weisenberg.  This might cost $500 for a day.  That brings the total cost of excusive PMI rental to ~$1,750.  The cost for SCR is $2,000.
I'll wait to hear back from Bob at SCR and let you guys know what I hear.
How would everyone feel about Friday the 27th at PMI?
Should we try to schedule something for September instead?
Any other suggestions or feedback?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2004, 03:19:34 PM »
Damn, it's hard to schedule a track...

I really like the PMI idea but am open and available for any dates and any track.  Fortunately, the kids are old enough that I don't have to worry about school - one of the many advantages of being my age.

Although the cooler weather of September appeals to me, my main goal is to see as many people as I can, so I vote for the date that the most people will be able to attend.

As far as PMI - if we can't get it for the National GTG, maybe we could get it later in September or October for a simple track day?  I bet I could find 5 people in ABQ that would come.  Maybe more.  I would love the opportunity to drive PMI - it has a great rep.  And the high-speed tracks like PMI are actually more fun if you are a novice, because you can circle the track at fairly high speed regardless of "the proper line" and still have fun.  The tighter, twistier tracks are so demanding that they aren't as much fun to "go fast" on until you have some experience.  Our family cars are pigs on a tight course...
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2004, 03:36:05 PM »
I just got a call from Bob at SCR.  Friday, August 20th and Monday, August 23rd are both available.  So, what does everyone think?
-Chuck Patterson

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2004, 04:27:07 PM »
I vote PMI, on the weekend of the 27th.  Although SCR is a great track, PMI would be a better location for things off the track as well.  You got my vote!

Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2004, 12:31:04 PM »
Friday the 20th at SCR gets my vote. Is it now a test and tune day? would we even be required to rent the track? or would it be the standard 50/60$ per person kind of thing?

Rian
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2004, 12:46:40 PM »
I don't know if we would be required to rent the track or not.  Often the track will be used by many others if it is not reserved.  It would not make sense to have a large group of us arrive at the track with other regular users there at the same time.  The track would be way too crowded and would take all the fun out of it.  If we do this with a large group like last year, it would only be logical to reserve the track for our group.
-Chuck Patterson

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2004, 01:47:29 PM »
I vote Friday the 20th and that we rent the track.  I agree that if we show up and there are too many people, it will not be as much fun.

However I am just one vote, so maybe we need to set up an official poll.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2004, 01:54:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm confident we should rent the track just for ourselves.  It would be a waste of time to add 20-30 cars to a track that already has it's regular number of cars on it.
-Chuck Patterson

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2004, 03:39:16 PM »
I like the idea of the 20th as well.  If we are going to rent the track what are we talking about $ wise compaired to just going to the normal Test and Tune day with other users? I kinda liked running against some of those other cars the first year we did the event. I had a good run against a modified Ford Contour SVT. In the end the Green Passat passed him. :)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2004, 05:00:18 PM »
It's $100 per person per day any time there is open track time.  It's $2,000 per day for SCR and about $1,750 per day at PMI.  Basically, if we can get 18 to 20 people it's worth it to reserve the track for ourselves.  While I also enjoy running against different types of cars, we lose control of how many people are on the track with us.  I'm not going to pay $100 for a day track time with regular users, then add on another 20 cars to make it more crowded.  If I were to do that, I might as well just go on some other day when I know it won't be crowded with 20 extra cars that will limit my track time even more.
-Chuck Patterson

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2004, 05:07:10 PM »
Did SCR raise the prices THAT much? used to be $50 per person test/tune (at least it was the first year we did this)

What was the cost / how many people when you guys rented the track out last year (I assume 2k/number of people)

R
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2004, 05:13:20 PM »
Yep, it's $100 for a full day of test and tune, $60 for half a day.  Normally we go Wednesdays from 5:00 until dusk for $60.
Last year we had 21 or 22 people, so it was a little under $100 per person.
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2004, 05:14:12 PM »
That was the price last year.  As it turned out we had our 20 people and we got it all together.  I think we will have even more this year and that will bring the cost per person down.

I also will chime in that Friday the 20th at SCR sound slike the best plan for now.  I really want to go to PMI, but since our calendar is less felxible than the track, PMI is going to lose out.

Who is up for meeting tomorrow night at Bake Street for planning?  Check HERE for more on that if you have not seen it already.

Hope to see you all there!

Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2004, 05:17:22 PM »
So it looks like Friday the 20th at SCR is favored as of right now.  I'd like to reserve the track soon, but think we should wait another couple days to see if we get any other feedback.  Also, I haven't been paying attention to ClubB5 or any of the Mini guys.  Jon or Dub, what have you heard?  Does the 20th sound like a good date for people on other boards?
-Chuck Patterson

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2004, 05:18:26 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Who is up for meeting tomorrow night at Bake Street for planning?  Check for more on that if you have not seen it already.

Hope to see you all there!

Winston

I'll be at BST tomorrow night for sure.
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2004, 06:22:10 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
So it looks like Friday the 20th at SCR is favored as of right now.  I'd like to reserve the track soon, but think we should wait another couple days to see if we get any other feedback.  Also, I haven't been paying attention to ClubB5 or any of the Mini guys.  Jon or Dub, what have you heard?  Does the 20th sound like a good date for people on other boards?

There is interest on CB5 for that weekend and I mentioned in my original post there that the track day would most likely be on a Monday or Friday, so let's do it!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2004, 07:20:10 PM »
I will not be able to go to BST tomorrow by I will submit an absentee vote for the 20th and I am good for my share of the cost.

Now I really need to get my projects done so I can keep up with you fools!
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2004, 09:23:46 PM »
I have dropped the word over at both www.northamericanmotoring.com and www.MINI5280.org.  They will be sending out a mailer in their newsletter, and some have already responded that they are doing track day.

There are right now 2 confirmations for MINI guys, I am waiting for my schedule to be worked out...then I will commit.  This is gonna be great.

cheers
jon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2004, 11:29:54 AM »
Sweet Jon, I really hope you can make it.  I already feel bad that this is going on during Jay's vacation.  That's bad timing, but this date just seems to work best for the majority, so that's how the pieces fell.

Still looking for a Saturday organizer, so let me know if anyone is interested in helming that day!

Thanks,
W

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2004, 12:57:46 PM »
Bummer that Jay won't be there, that is for sure.  I know I can't do the Saturday thing, I am hoping to have that day off, but that is the BMWCCA Autocross Point Series #6 event day down at the World Arena in Colorado Springs...and I am somewhat certain that Randy and I will be headed to that and running my MINI in that series.  Not for sure yet, but until that is decided, I can't take on any planning for that day.  I am personally hoping that Randy sticks to the SCCA Pro Racing Auto Cross events, and avoids the BWMCCA events, more competition in the SCCA Auto Cross, less "cheating" so to speak.  Once we figure that part out, I will let you know, and if no one else has taken it on, I will see what I can do to get something organized.

cheers
jon

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2004, 03:46:44 AM »
so what is the final verdict on dates for this??? i am looking forward to it
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2004, 08:27:21 PM »
Well the 20th through the 22nd look great guys. I can't wait. I just hope the summer heat doesn't blow up my brakes again before I get a chance to run hard on the track. I think I'm going to order me a new set of front pads just for the track day. As for tires, well, we'll see how that goes. New tires are a must, but I'd hate to waste a perfectly good set on a hot ass track and have none left for the road. The tires that are on there now would be perfect, but I don't think they'll last untill August 20th.

What's a boy to do? :)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2004, 12:47:19 AM »
Quote from: "Chas"
Well the 20th through the 22nd look great guys. I can't wait. I just hope the summer heat doesn't blow up my brakes again before I get a chance to run hard on the track. I think I'm going to order me a new set of front pads just for the track day. As for tires, well, we'll see how that goes. New tires are a must, but I'd hate to waste a perfectly good set on a hot ass track and have none left for the road. The tires that are on there now would be perfect, but I don't think they'll last untill August 20th.

What's a boy to do? :)

Chas, with this much advanced notice, you might be able to post on some other boards to collect some top shelf tires others are throwing out becuase they're reached the end of their legal life.  Get someone to mount 'em for you and you're set.
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2004, 01:21:25 AM »
run on your stockers until then and then work the 17" at the track, maximize your moneys worth...but driving on stockers for a few months would be a drag, now that you made the transition ot the CH's

c_l3v3l

• n00balicious
    • http://specialreciperacing.bigheaddesigns.com
I'm in like Flint
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2004, 08:30:09 PM »
I'm in.
VO VIII Karma Project
Ya! I dunt hav non Fahvernugen!