Author Topic: Rear Window Issues  (Read 3092 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Rear Window Issues
« on: February 19, 2004, 07:42:38 PM »
So I just noticed that my driver-side rear window is not functioning  :mad:

I usually have the child lock on to keep my 4 year old hooligan from getting out, so I thought that was the problem, but it is not.  I can hear the regulator motor moving, but no window movement.

Has anyone experianced this?  I have the directions for pulling the door interior off and getting a good look at it, but some direction from a previous experiance is always good.

Anyone know??  TIA
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 07:47:19 PM »
I had my regulator clip thingy take a digger.  They use a cheapo plastic clip to hold the windo on.  So that breaks and then the window might move a little, or just drop down or do nothing.  There may be some instructions on clubb5.com on how to replace.

Mine was done under warranty.  I know there was a deal where dealers were covering in on MKIVs, but I don't know if they will do it for Passats and so on.

For some reason I am thinking atomicalex has done this, but I could also be thinking about the alien remote :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Rear Window Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 07:47:19 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 07:53:52 PM »
Thanks - I will pull it appart soon and get a good look.  I still have some BTB warranty left so I should be OK.

Speaking of BTB warranty - mine is flying by at an allarming rate.  So far I have been the owner of this particular passat for 10 months and I am at 33,000 miles  :oops:  4 years or 50K miles - not 4 years for this kid 8O

I guess those weekend drives to Los Angeles (and last weekend - Indiana on a whim) are taking their toll.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 10:07:14 PM »
Hey Randy, I would also recommend taking it to eh dealer if you have some warranty and have them replace it.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 12:50:45 AM »
The doors panels are very easy to pull off...the little plastic clips that hold it on the door are better if placed on the door first and then snapping the panel back on...
That's all I can suggest. If you do it yourself, I think I have one or two little plastic clips lying around if you brake any.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 03:06:28 AM »
I had to re-insert mine last fall - the little plastic plug that holds the window to the part that moves up/down (real technical here). It's a little plastic barrel with a plastic pin inside of it. Re-insert plastic barrel and then insert pin to expand barrel and hold it in place. I lost that damn plastic pin so I used a twistie-tie (not a zip-tie) from my loaf of bread. I was thinking of attaching a stickie note there too saying some unkind words for VW.

If the problem is what everyone is thinking, you should be able to roll the window up. Just press the down control for a little bit, push the window down with your hands (should slide nice and smooth), and then roll it up with the controls. No down, but up works.

pazzatCO

• Stock
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 06:50:55 PM »
I need help. My passenger window broke while I was driving on the freeway today. Some rock went through the window and shattered it.  Had the window replaced but the guy showed me that my regulator broke.  

Called around for quotes and they want 300 for replacing the part. Anyone know where I can get the part and how difficult or easy is it to do.

Thanks
b>1998 Passat 1.8T Black

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 07:03:35 PM »
I have had the door panel off to install my alientech window remote, but I didn't play around with the regulators any.  I don't know how tough this would be to do.

Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 07:15:01 PM »
I would check with Auto Imports on Federal and 285.  They have parts for all makes of VW and Audi.  I do not have the number on my right now, so I will post it later.

As for doing the job your self, it is not too hard.  Just keep track of all the little parts.  I have had mine off once and it was about an hour to do the whole job.

Good luck
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 07:34:04 PM »
I know on the MKIV platforms the window regulators and related parts and peices are all under recall from VWOA. It would be worth asking...
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 07:39:28 PM »
Hey its summer, the windows are supposed to be rolled down!

On a reality note, sorry to hear of you problems, for me it ranks up there with my drivers side door lock assy. being busted and now I have to roll my window down and open the car from the outside just to get out!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Rear Window Issues
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 05:16:25 AM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I had my regulator clip thingy take a digger.  They use a cheapo plastic clip to hold the windo on.  So that breaks and then the window might move a little, or just drop down or do nothing.  There may be some instructions on clubb5.com on how to replace.

:)
this happened to mine, i removed the door panel and the window reg. (top half of the door) found the clip and slid it back into place... woooalaw fixed.
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!