Author Topic: DTS and the C-Bar - Pictures Added!  (Read 2673 times)

Chas

• Modded
DTS and the C-Bar - Pictures Added!
« on: June 14, 2004, 05:17:13 PM »
I told Alan to look on my table saw and look at the funny collection of parts and cut aluminum piece and tell me what he thought when he went over to my house to pick up a tool I forgot..

He knew what it was, and now it's all done up and installed on my car. Alpha testing starts NOW!

I stayed up late last night and finished it up. I was totally soaked with bug repellant and dust from the bottom side of my car, but it's done and on. I took my car out for a test drive and it felt really, really good. "SOLID" is one word. In a phrase: "Sure shifting and solid." No clunking around or bobbing up and down of the tranny played out in a shift leave that rocks around in the shift boot. No more. And I even got a tire scratch out of a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. I have never gotten that before.

So what is it that seems to have me all happy like a school girl?

My first ever attempt at a C-Bar with DTS system. I jhave some work to do, but if this works out like I'm thinking it will, I'll be able to offer up a new incarnation of the the C-Bar with an added feature that people have been asking me about for some time.

I've got no pictures to tease you with because I didn't have all the cool zinc plated nuts and finishing touches on it yet. This is a very early prototype and needs a little refinement, but in this basic form, it works and well.  :)  :)  :)  8)  8)  8)

I'll let you all know more real soon.

Righ now I need more aluminum...  :P  :P :roll:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 07:38:06 PM »
I don't know what DTS is and I just bought a regular one...dangit! Chas! Now I've gotta go spend more money! :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 07:38:06 PM »

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 08:00:21 PM »
Well JR, if you don't know what it is, then you're not missing it! ;)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:38:45 PM »
That sounds great.  I hope it pans out and will this work on the tips?
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 09:05:38 PM »
I'm sorry Dave, there is no way this can work for the tips. The 5 spd tranny has this set of holes and bosses on the bottom of the tranny that are just waiting for the parts of the DTS. There is nothing like it on the bottom of the Tip except that huge oil pan!  8O
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 09:12:54 PM »
Ya know, it makes you wanna go manual!  :-(

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 11:07:11 AM »
So basicly this bar bolts into the holes on the tranny and is then bolted to the chassis channel some how?  Fill me in as Ive got a manual and this may prove to be beneficial to me.

Steve

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 11:31:07 AM »
Chas, we should really talk.  I've been considering something like this for a while.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
Re: Well, I did it... DTS and the C-Bar
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 01:09:25 PM »
Quote from: "Chas"
...Righ now I need more aluminum...

Addict! :lol:

Congrats, Chas!  Good work.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 01:33:25 PM »
Quote from: "Chas"
Well JR, if you don't know what it is, then you're not missing it! ;)

Oh, well, *whew* that's a relief...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 01:47:41 AM »
Alright, I did some more finishing work to this new bar today. I basically built a prototype first. From that I then built a better working unit that will now serve as the master from which all the others will be modeled. I also tested out my manufacturing techniques to makes sure that a unit I build and ship to someone is that same as the one I put on my car.

Basically, it works and well!  8)  :D

Here are some pictures of the finished product. I need to get some better nuts to attach the mounts to the plates, but this is it.

It's slick as snot and bolts right up under the tranny way easy. I've had people asking me about this for some time now, but I just didn't want to do it. That, or I didn't know how to do it, untill now! I just needed that spark!  :D  8)  :D  8)  :onfire:  :onfire:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 02:42:04 PM »
That looks absolutely fantastic...what's the cost on this BTW?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 02:55:27 PM »
Just a question though, what about a head on collision?  From the looks of it, the middle now has more strength.  Or is the two-post assembly collapsible.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 09:55:17 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5"
Just a question though, what about a head on collision?  From the looks of it, the middle now has more strength.  Or is the two-post assembly collapsible.

Dave, this bar is the last thing that will go through your mind in a massive front end collision. From some "tests" that a few people have done with these bars, the actual steel mounting points of the sub frame seems to tear appart first. Also, take notice of the two 1/4" - 20 allen head bolts that hold the lower plate to the C-Bar. In a massive front ender those are going to fail right out of the gate. Remember the forces involved in a front end collision. The bar and mounts are not going to hinder the release of the engine from it's mountings.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 10:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, and I agree with the last thing going through my mind part.