Author Topic: My Car Is Too Tall!  (Read 6531 times)

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
My Car Is Too Tall!
« on: June 21, 2004, 05:42:17 PM »
*sits back and waits for the cracks about my own height*

I just bought:

Koni sport shocks
Eibach Sportline springs (1.8" drop)
Neuspeed 25mm front sway
Neuspeed 28mm rear sway

And well, now I gotta figure out how to get all my goodies installed. Does anyone have recommendations locally, or can someone give me a really big  hand?
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 05:47:52 PM »
Wow, your car should handle REALLY well after all that!  That's a biiiig drop.
I don't have a garage, but I'd be happy to lend a hand if you can find one.  Don't pay someone to do it.  We'll take care of it.  I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 05:47:52 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 05:50:07 PM »
Looks like we'll need another suspension Garage Day :) I'm booked the next 2 weekends.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 05:59:57 PM »
I would be happy to lend a hand.

Time for a GTG I think
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 06:06:04 PM »
Yeah, i'm pretty much buzzing with excitement. =)

It was kind of a toss up between getting either the springs, shocks AND sways... or for the same price just getting coil-overs.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

tweakeDub

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 07:16:14 PM »
Hell yeah i'm down for lending a hand a gettingto know some more people into the b5's, plus I can learn for how to do mine

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 07:51:12 PM »
A, maybe we can do them at the shop sometime, let me check with Randy, we can toss your car on the lift once we get he power wired in for that.  If not, I have spring compressors that you can use.  I can't help on weekends due to work at the hopsital, but on weekdays, we can maybe work something out for exchange of services, shop time for internet/web site support...I'll get back to you later this week

cheers
jon

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 01:36:29 AM »
Ill help. On any week day. (tue wed or thurs)

Also I just PMed you a question.:)
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 01:44:56 PM »
I'm pretty easy. I'm free any weekend at anytime, or any evening after 5:30.

(replied to your PM, Greg)

If i'm to believe the fine fellows at shox.com everything should be here Thursday or Friday.  Woooooooo!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 06:14:46 PM »
I'm very disappointed, Andrew.
I thought you're getting a set of 12" chromies with a 10" offset from that garage on Colfax East.  Pedro is also selling a set of killer gold fenders and door edge trim.  Totally ghettolicious!!!

BTW, did you talk to Daryl at Shox?
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 06:28:17 PM »
Ba-Da-BLING!

Well, i was thinking the 1.8 drop wouldn't be enough and i could always cut the Eibach's, put the stock shocks on and get that great little 2 block *bounce*bounce*bounce* after every bump.

It's all about the bounce baby!!!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 01:22:27 AM »
Hey Andrew,

That's great!  You are gonna love the drop.  If I wasn't having a baby any time now, I would have you come over to install the shocks and springs.  That job is about 4 hours alone.

We should have another garage day coming up soon though!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 04:09:39 AM »
Andrew, I talked to Randy, we can hook you up in exchange for some internet work...he has big plans, looking for some new support...he is out of town for a bit at a huge MINI gathering, but will be back a week from Monday...we can hook you up that week if you want...if you can wait that long.  We can toss your car on the lift, and get it done fast with all the tools there.

Let me know if you are interested, he is in exchange for internet web support help.

cheers
jon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 11:08:55 AM »
1.8" drop! That's sick! I'm sitting I think just a tad lower than 1.75...it's tons 'o fun...but I kind wanna be lower, so I'm going get adjustable shox soon. You're gonna LOVE it!
I'll stop by the shop and help if I have the time or just hang and pretend I'm a real racer...hehehe
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 11:28:06 AM »
I dropped my car 4" this morning...oh wait, hehehe, it does that with a touch of a button, hehehe.

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 01:24:04 PM »
Like i said jon, i'm totally down with trade and a shop & lift would make this job a lot easier. I should have prefaced this with the fact that I've never done this install so i'm gonna need a lot of help.

As far as waiting that long, id like to get them installed as soon as possible (duhh), but if we can hook this up before the next Garage Day that works for me.

Of course I want to make sure Randy is cool with whatever trade agreement we come to.  We'll just have to chat when he gets back in town.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 08:22:37 PM »
sounds good andrew.  We are waiting to get power to the lift, but Randy is working on that.  He leaves town tomorrow or Friday and will be back a week from Monday.  We can talk then, since the lift will be operational, and I have experience, we both plan to help you out, but want to teach you as well as we get it done.

So consider it a done deal and we can work out a time for the week after next for install time and you can talk with Randy then about trade of services...I will leave that up to you guys, but I think it will be mutually beneficial.

cheers
jon

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 08:34:12 PM »
That sounds absolutely awesome Jon, thank you so much for making this possible!

There also seems to be some interest in others in checking this out. I don't want Randy to be uncomfortable with people being there, or of course potentially put him at risk to any sort of insurance dilemmas. We should chat with him about this as well.

Week after next would be perfect. Im off on a road trip through the mountains on the 10th of July and would LOVE to feel the difference in handling over the passes!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 01:19:43 PM »
Andrew, can we shoot for Wednesday or Thursday of next week, Randy is not back, but I can be sure that i will be there to help and we have plenty of room to get it all done.

So, that means July 7th or 8th?  Do those days work for you, we can even do a later afternoon/evening install if the day time is an issue with your work.

Let me know
cheers
jon

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004, 01:31:54 PM »
Sounds great to me on either day.

I'm off work at 5:30 on weekdays. Starting downtown about a block from the Wynkoop Brewery, I could get out to the shop in Littleton in around a half an hour or so depending on traffic, of course. So maybe around six?

If need be, I may be able to skip out of work a little early that day but I can stay... *shrug* well the whole night as if it would really came to that. Ahh, the luxury of being recently single.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2004, 01:37:30 PM »
That sounds good, I doubt Randy will be there that long, but I would be more than willing to get you through the process...as long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty along with me.  Between the 2 of us, we can get it done.  Pick a day, and we will lock it in.

cheers
jon

ps, being single does have its advantages sometimes..hehehe

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »
Let's do Wednesday then. I'm more than happy to get everything dirty. I'm excited that this is going to be a hands-on experience.

Will we be able to do the alignment there as well? I figure I could limp home and then to Discount or something in the morning to take care of that if nothing else.

Once again, thank you so much jon!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »
we don't have our allignment rack yet, still waiting for it to be delivered, looks like the end of July for that one, sorry.  Your allignment should be ok for the most part, and only minimal adjustmenst, if any at all, should be needed.  We are not adjusting control arms or things like that, no caster or camber changes, so allignment should stay relatively the same, despite what we are doing...I have never gotten an allignment on any of the cars I lowered or did sways on, and everything was fine for me.  You can get it checked before you leave town, but drive it first and see how it feels...

So, plan on Wednesday the 7th, and get there as soon as you can, 3911 Norwood Drive, Littleton.  If you need diretions, let me know and I will give you more details.

cheers
jon

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2004, 03:42:17 AM »
way to go! nice purchase! your car will handle like a monster after that is installed and dialed in right!
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

GTIguy

• Stock
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2004, 09:31:33 AM »
Actually since you're lowering the car the toe will be off and an alignment should be performed otherwise you will be eating up your front tires.

Just a suggestion to keep in mind.
itrous is like a really hot chick with STD's, you really want to hit it , but you're worried about the aftermath.

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 01:28:09 PM »
I figure either way i'll take her in before my little road trip and get it checked, can't hurt and like you said GTIguy, i'd much sooner do that than pay for a new set of tires.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2004, 08:06:44 PM »
Get an allignment ASAP - GTIguy is right on the money.  I have chewed through a perfectly good set of tires becasue I waited 500 miles to do it.

The results will be worth the extra money.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2004, 08:21:30 PM »
Point well taken, the next day instead of lunch it is then :)
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2004, 10:56:40 PM »
see, I had the opposite experience, dropped the car, then had 8K miles on it before I sold it, tires were fine, sold them to Alan R. and they were essentially perfect.  So in my case, also a B5.5 like Randy, I had no issues with tires or allignment...go figure.

cheers
jon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2004, 10:16:22 AM »
I had alignment issues, but only after I put 250 on them the day after I lowered my car...hmmm, uneven wear...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner