Author Topic: My Car Is Too Tall!  (Read 6547 times)

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2004, 01:55:09 PM »
Well, the "shortening surgery" is complete and while the process was longer and harder than expected, the results are nothing less than extraordinary! My car feels just fantastic with damn near zero roll a comfortably stiff ride.

I will take some pics tonight and finally get my members ride page put together.

HUGE thanks go to Jon who stuck by until 12:30AM to finish the job and Randy and his shop at Webb Motorsports:

Shame free plug:
http://www.webbmotorsports.com

Without these guys who, no matter how much of a pain in the ass getting those front shocks out and THEN the new ones back in, were always smiling and cracking jokes.

The entire drive home was one gigantic smile, and I'm sure the one this weekend is gonna be full on laugh-out-loud experience. Don't know how my uncle who gets to ride with me will appreciate my antics, but I told Jon I'd count how many times his hand reaches for the oh sh*t handle during the drive. ;)
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2004, 02:52:59 PM »
That's awesome Andrew.  I remember the first time I drove in my car after upgrading the suspension and I have to say, that is probably the biggest change you can make.  It makes a huge difference in the entire demeanor of the car, and for the better too.

I can't wait to see pics!  Now you are gonna have to make it out to the track day to really get a feel for the improvement!

Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2004, 02:52:59 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2004, 02:58:42 PM »
I too will never forget the first dive with a new suspention.  I smile just thinking about it.

Do not forget the allignment and hopefully we will see you at the Track Day in August.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

• Heavily Modded
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2004, 03:00:37 PM »
You can bet on it Winston! I need to waste these Kumhos so i have an excuse to get something stickier!

It's at the shop getting the alignment as i type this. No worries there!
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2004, 03:03:35 PM »
Awesome!

I did my suspension, then 2 days later got chipped, let's just say I was a mad man with corners and curves enjoying both.

Props to Jon and Randy for the shop and help.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2004, 07:32:20 PM »
Andy, glad you are enjoying the ride.  It was quite the learning experience, but now we know some tricks for the next one we do, hehehe.

Can you believe it, we were still cracking jokes as we opened the doors at 745am this morning...maybe it was that we were so slap happy, who knows, but we got that mess cleaned up and got a lot of regular business taken car of.

Again, thanks for dinner last night, I was starting to get the shakes I was so hungry.

Enjoy your drive this weekend, watch out for smokey, and do give us a talley on the number of handle grabbes your uncle makes, that is gonna make me laugh.

cheers
jon

• Heavily Modded
Canyon Carving
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2004, 02:11:33 PM »
The car felt incredible through the canyons.  It has a slight but noticeable over steer bias now :lol: and is very predictable. 85-95mph through the sweepers in Glenwood Canyon are a piece of cake now. The thing just stays planted even over the expansion joints.

As far as my uncle is concerned, he just held onto the passenger door handle the entire way, but HE WAS EGGING ME ON! Several times we hit 125mph in the canyons west of Denver while playing with a kid in a Jetta. When I would back off and cool down through some of the straighter areas and someone would pass me he'd get on my case about it.

I have to rank this up as one of my favorite drives to Aspen to date!
:cool:
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2004, 05:29:33 PM »
Awesome!  Suspension is so underrated!

I think it should always be mod # 1 for a VW.  Just had to opine on that.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
My Car Is Too Tall!
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2004, 08:10:55 PM »
Andrew, great report, I am so glad the car was that much fun for you.  Wish I was with you, that drive sounded awesome!!!!!

cheers
jon