Author Topic: National GTG Track Day - Friday August 20th  (Read 36025 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
National GTG Track Day - Friday August 20th
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2004, 10:30:08 PM »
That's awesome...wish I could drive and learn a few things :(
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2004, 11:26:53 PM »
Are the gears mentioned in the write-up for a 6-speed car? I ask just because I never get to 4th in my 5-speed. Or maybe that's because I'm doing something wrong.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2004, 11:26:53 PM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2004, 12:31:09 AM »
Yeah, it's borderline for me.  I could shift to 4th, but I would only get a couple more mph out of it.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

snickryder

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.SNYMO.com
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2004, 12:53:22 AM »
Quote from: "shummer"
Are the gears mentioned in the write-up for a 6-speed car? I ask just because I never get to 4th in my 5-speed. Or maybe that's because I'm doing something wrong.

The gears I mention are for a 5-speed and are based on driving this track in many different cars (A4, S4, 944, SRT4, Focus, etc).  95% of the cars will use these gears when you are pushing 10/10ths.  If you aren't getting the full drive off the corners, then you might not make it to 4th gear down the straights.  

But, don't worry so much about the gears, they are there for reference.  It's the line (turn-in, apex, track-out) that is really important.  But, if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask me tomorrow.

Rick
Rick Snyder | 2003 GTI VR6 | 1997 BMW M3 Sedan | www.Snymo.com

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2004, 01:14:48 AM »
A couple of things,

First: Thanks for the guidance Rick!  that is awesome info.

also: someone mentioned gas at Duggan's Petroleum.  Where is that at?
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2004, 02:20:52 AM »
Duggan's is at Sante Fe and Union. West on Union maybe 200 ft. and north at the frontage road. You'll hit a stop sign and Duggan's is directly in front of you. Opens at 7am.

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2004, 04:35:45 AM »
Damn, I wish I had seen the course guide earlier so I could have printed it out. Hopefully I can snag a copy at the track. Rick thanks for posting that, it is way cool!!! Definitely good info to have.

P.S. I will be at Duggan's too.  As much as I don't want to get up early.. I could find any race fuel to hit on the way to the track. :P
MWJD?

snickryder

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.SNYMO.com
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2004, 11:41:39 PM »
Guys, thanks for letting me hang with you today.  I had a blast!!!!  I tried to get to everyone that needed help.  If I missed you, I'm sorry.  Hopefully, you got something out of it.  I know, I did.  I'm exhausted!!!!  :D

Thanks again,
Rick
Rick Snyder | 2003 GTI VR6 | 1997 BMW M3 Sedan | www.Snymo.com

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2004, 01:51:58 PM »
That was an awesome day!  I was beat by the end of it, but had a blast at the track.  Thank you EVERYONE who organized and helped organize this event.  Thanks Rick for showing me what my car could do  :oops:  8O   Was a fun ride!  Now to work on my driving skills  :P

Jonathan

ColoradoMark

• Stock
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2004, 09:20:03 PM »
Wanted to thank everyone for letting the MINI's come out and play with you. It was a fun, well-run event.
Sorry I couldn't play or teach more. Kinda got caught up in fixing my broken wheel studs so i could get home!
Hope to see everyone again soon. We should try and get together out there some evening before SCR closes for good.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2004, 11:17:05 AM »
Thanks to Pat for setting everything up and more importantly, taking care of the financial arrangements.  Thanks to Rick, Randy and Mark for driver instruction.  I could definitely tell the difference from the stands on who had and hadn't had some guidance.  It made a big difference and I know everyone appreciated it.

Mark, did you get everything fixed up?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2004, 12:36:38 PM »
Ditto. I had a blast, thanks Pat for organizing all of it. Friday was definitely  my favorite day ;) I can't wait to go to the track again.
MWJD?

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2004, 12:53:10 PM »
So when is the next one??

I had a blast - Hats off to Pat for putting this together.

Now I need some new tires ;-)
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2004, 01:16:05 PM »
I believe Pat is going to work on something down in Pueblo in the next couple months. I'm definately on that action.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoMark

• Stock
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2004, 02:44:25 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Thanks to Pat for setting everything up and more importantly, taking care of the financial arrangements.  Thanks to Rick, Randy and Mark for driver instruction.  I could definitely tell the difference from the stands on who had and hadn't had some guidance.  It made a big difference and I know everyone appreciated it.

Mark, did you get everything fixed up?

Well, I got the broken studs out, one at the track and the other Sauturday morning when I had more tools to work with. I didn't have new studs to replace the broken ones with; my LF tire is now wearing lug nuts instead.

Good lesson to be learned: If your wheel takes an impact replace all the studs/lugnuts with new ones.
For those that didn't know I had spun my car last June during the SCCA's Solo Trials. It was during qualifying, my tires were cold, the car oversteered in the esses at the end of the back straight (running CCW), I thought I had caught it but the car hit a bump and snapped around. I went off at over 80 mph into the tire wall going sideways/backwards. That wheel took enough of a hit that it broke the bead on the tire. The wheel was undamaged but it must have stressed the wheel studs enough to create some microscopic fractures. One broke the next day, then two more last Friday. I'll be replacing all of the ones on that side of the car.

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2004, 05:28:41 PM »
Whew!

I made it home, and to Tennessee, and to Massachusetts, and then back home, w/o the CV boot leaking a drop.  I think the grease just got so hot (thin) on the track that it seeped through micro-cracks in the boot that it normally is to too thick to seep through.

I had a GREAT time!  So sorry I didn't make the rest of the GTG.  Thanks Pat, and Rick, and Everybody!

Take Care everyone - see you again soon, probably at Pueblo if it happens.
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]