Author Topic: I'm hiring...  (Read 1943 times)

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
I'm hiring...
« on: June 29, 2004, 08:31:15 PM »
I have a new position opening up at CU Boulder doing desktop support.. need to be very Mac and PC savvy, experience migrating/maintaining Active Directory is a plus.. as well as experience with Exchange. Although the last 2 things are not a requirement.

Biggest thing probably is that you must have awesome customer service skills (i.e. be willing to brown-nose your customers). Pay is $38K and change, as well as all of the perks of working for the state (Medical/Dental/Life/Pera/401K/License to be Apathetic)

If any of you computer geeks are interested in having the coolest boss ever (me)... PM or email me if you want details.
MWJD?

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
I'm hiring...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 10:11:29 PM »
Everything looks cool, unfortunatly a bit low for the pay, sorry.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

I'm hiring...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 10:11:29 PM »

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
I'm hiring...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 11:02:58 PM »
No skin off my nose.. I have people I can hire within, but I'm open to outsiders coming into the state system. The pay is low, but it's also probably one of the most secure jobs anyone could ever have. It's a good entry level position for some of the youngin's.
MWJD?

G-Money

• Stock
I'm hiring...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 01:30:05 AM »
Hey I may be up for the job. I would like a little more info. on the job and exactly what it intails. Let me know.
Greg M.

shummer

• Modded
I'm hiring...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 02:16:58 AM »
There's a dude on audiworld who is looking for a job. I directed him to this discussion. Hope you don't mind Amanda.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
I'm hiring...
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 02:40:57 AM »
I wouldent mind a real job but I have none of those things that your looking for. Im a pro at doing research on the internet and browseing.... thats about it :lol:

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Noob_Shum

• Modded
I'm hiring...
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 02:59:00 AM »
Sounds like a great entry level job to me, and good benefits :P  If I had the qualifications and needed a job, I would be callin' ya!

Jonathan

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
I'm hiring...
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 03:50:33 AM »
hey 38k/year and a state job to boot is not a bad deal. hell i barely pull in 22-24k/yr.

once i graduate i'll be in much better shape. 1 more year to go.
hell if i were closer to yall i'd send in a resume.
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
I'm hiring...
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 10:50:22 AM »
Sounds like a good gig, but just a bit too late for me..I got the skillz, but hey, someone out there needs it. In fact, my buddy is just moving out to this area...I"ll turn him on to this. He's a computer nerd.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gnowknayme

• n00balicious
I'm hiring...
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 01:04:11 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
There's a dude on audiworld who is looking for a job. I directed him to this discussion. Hope you don't mind Amanda.

Hey, I'm the dude from audiworld...Thanks for dropping me a note.

UberGrrl, I'm definitely interested in talking to you about this. When I get home this evening, I'll drop you a line with some more information, but I'll go ahead and give you a quick background. I'm currently in Indiana, but I'm actively looking to move to Colorado very soon (I just quit my job here so I can focus on that.) I've done PC tech support in the past, and I've been a System Administrator for a number of years as well. I don't know Macs very well, but I'm a quick learner. I'm willing to go entry level as long as it pays the bills and there's room for advancement.

I'll email you tonight with my resume, and hopefully we can talk soon.

Thanks!

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
I'm hiring...
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 01:57:18 PM »
Yeah 38K isn't horrible.. but the job is in Boulder. So living up here tends to be a lot more expensive than Denver or down south. The job classification for this position is H212TX IT Technician II. Oops, I redid the math, it's about $37,500. You can look all of this stuff up on the state websites, that's why I'm giving this info. We do business quite differently than the private sector. There is none of that Poker-business.. you get what we offer.

Ahhhlrighty, here are some more details about the job (sorry for the long post):

First a little background:
I work for Information Technology Services on the Boulder campus. I manage desktop support technicians, who provide software (and light hardware) support for faculty and staff. I have 3 permanent full-time staff and 6 student staff (most of whom are also full-time). By the way I have no attrition. That's how cool of a boss I am. I don't micromanage my techs, and my boss doesn't micromanage me. It's a very laid back environment, but you have to make your customers happy, many of whom are hoity toity "I publish and I have 2 PhDs so I am better than you" people. Most of them are super nice, but there are always a couple who are snobby and will try to make your life difficult.  Most of the users we support don't know dick about computers.

Desktop support is growing- for the past couple of years we have been moving to a "Distributed Support" model, where technicians are locally positioned (within colleges/schools), centrally managed (by me, in ITS), and jointly commissioned (both the college and ITS pays your salary).

We are currently providing this support for the following colleges or schools: Education, Law, Arts & Sciences, and now Journalism.

The rest of the schools get support via my student techs who are dispatched out of a pool of resources: Music, Engineering, Administrative units.

I know, you are yawning. Bear with me. I just want you to know what you're in for.

So this new position arose because the school of Journalism bought dedicated support. Here is where it gets interesting.

One of my current techs has the choice of leaving the Law school, and supporting both Education and Journalism.  Or, he can stay and continue doing Law and Education.

The reason this is important, is because the skillset for the new position changes drastically, depending on what we decide to do with him:

The new position that would support Journalism and Arts&Sciences will be supporting 75% Macintosh, 25% Windoze, probably no AD stuff, some light server administration (user accounts, passwords, permissions, etc).

If my current guy moves to Journalism, then the new position would need to support: 75% PC, 25% Mac, AD Migrations, Win2000 Server administration, and potentially Exchange (client side only).

The problem is, I won't know for probably two weeks which way the job will go- Mac or PC-intensive.

Now here's the deal with applying for jobs in the state system- Once I post the job, which will happen in a couple of weeks, applicants have from one to two weeks to submit State of Colorado Application form B to HR.  Then HR goes through and decides who's qualified for the job and who's not... (Yeah, they know nothing about computers or what it takes to do desktop support). But there are minimum qualifications, such as you must have associates degree in a field related to computers, PLUS 2 years of experience doing related type of work. You can substitute experience for schooling. These minimums are not that high, so they shouldn't be a problem for most people. But basically what I'm saying is that you don't have to have a degree in Comp Sci to get the job.

Last year when I had a similar position open up, I had over 50 applicants.. HR weeded them down to about 10 who were qualified, and then all those people had to take a written exam. Then if there were more than 3 who got a certain score on the exam, they proceeded to an Oral Review board (where my coworkers get to harass the shit out of you).

Because there is so much red tape in the job process for the state, I'm guessing the actual position won't begin until maybe September 1. Could be shorter or longer.

There are definite benefits to working for the state- I mentioned Security (um yeah there's a reason I've been here since 1995). The chances of being laid off are slim to none.
You can take 6 credits per year for free as a staff member.
You get vacation and sick leave, several state holidays.
Free ecopass...
Employer contribution to PERA, the state employee's retirement fund, matching for 401K, no FICA withheld. Yeah, PERA is actually a pension.. if you work here for 20 years, you'll get paid your salary until you kick it.
Health insurance isn't a bad deal. You do have to pay for it (the employer pays most of it), but it's not horrible. There are lots of options too. Dental is free unless you  opt for a different plan.

Yadda yadda.  If you're interested in finding out more, check out CU's HR website: http://www.colorado.edu/humres/

OK, I'm tired of typing now.
MWJD?