Author Topic: most suspension improvement for the $ ?  (Read 1558 times)

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
most suspension improvement for the $ ?
« on: August 12, 2004, 02:48:34 PM »
Hello again,

New question up for discussion:  what are the best improvements for suspension for the money?  What's the least amount of money you need to spend to see improvement?  What can you get for $200-300;  $400-600? $800-1000?

Also, which upgrades are DIY-able, and which are not?  What do you guys think?

Lila
2000 v6, 5spd, variant, 57,000miles.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:00:30 PM »
Really other than a chip, just about everything is DIY, even then removing and shipping an ECU is DIY, just the soldering part isn't ;)

As for suspension, you could do coilovers for about $1200 - $1500.  You;ll probably get teh most rigid ride from this setup.

Otherwise for around $800 you can do shocks and springs/struts and dampers (same thing).

From this you would need to decide, how much drop you want, what kind of feel you want.  Like a stiffer ride and slammed or kinda middle of the road and a little droppage.

I had the Eibach sport springs, the same ones sold in Driver Gear. They had a drop of about 1.2" front and rear and I really liked them.  They were stiff enough to improve performance while not dropping my car too much and not making the ride too uncomfortable.

Eibach also sells a few other kits that vary in stiffness and drop.

H&R and Neuspeed also sell comparable setups.

As for shocks/dampers this is another area of really, how stiff do you want to go.  Again many options.

A good idea would be to get some rides from folks, or test drive their cars with different setups to get an idea of what you like best.

While we all want our cars to handle like a track car, that isn't always the most comfortable ride for everyday driving so you really want to make sure you get something you willbe happy with from both aspects.

Also, do some searches on here and ClubB5.com, this is a topic that seems to come up quite often and there is lots of written information to educate yourself with.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:00:30 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:04:22 PM »
$150 Neuspeed Sport Springs

That was a HUGE difference! I didn't need to replace my shocks yet...I will in a few months though
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 04:13:19 PM »
Hi Lila,

There is a huge amount of information on the different suspension setups over at www.clubb5.com.  Use the search feature to look for it.

Overall, though, I have to agree with gietl, the coilovers (which I have) are the most expensive and stiffest, but most adjustable.

In the $600-800 range would be shock and spring replacement, and there are many variations on this.

For $200-300 you can really only change shocks or springs, and if faced with that choice, I would do springs first to drop the car lower and improve the center of gravity.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 04:25:12 PM »
Don't be afraid to look into used springs. I got my used Eibach Pro-kits $100 shipped from California from a ClubB5er. I wouldn't recommend used shocks/dampers unless you knew for sure they had low miles on them. You should be able to get new shocks/dampers for <$400. I got some Bilstein Sport shocks for that price from another ClubB5er who purchased them from a group buy. I'd recommend getting them installed at one of our garage days for cheap ($0). Then you should get an alignment afterwards once the suspension settles.

Summary:

Used springs = $100
New shocks/dampers <$400
Install = $0 at RMCB5 garage day
Alignment <$80

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »
I found Eibach sport springs for 100.00 and Bistein dampers for 170 on the clubb5 classified forums.  I found it to be a nice balance in ride and handling.

Good luck with your search.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 10:41:59 AM »
Like Gietl said, drive as many local cars with different setups as you can and form your own opinion.  Everyone has different tastes and this is a very subjective subject.  There is no "right" answer.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson