Author Topic: faster uphill: v6 or 1.8t ?  (Read 2171 times)

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
faster uphill: v6 or 1.8t ?
« on: August 11, 2004, 05:08:21 PM »
Ok, so I've got a v6 variant, and my buddy's got 1.8t variant, neither motor is modifed.  We were wondering, which car is faster up a steep hill (specifically, Sugarloaf Rd, which climbs up from Boulder at 5300 feet to my house at 8200 feet).

Some thoughts:  v6 has more horsepower and torque.  The 1.8t has less weight and less, but similar horsepower.  Any other factors (excluding driver)?

Any thoughts?  Which car do you think would win?

Lila

ps An actually race would be difficult to say the least, as this is a fairly residential neighborhood, although late at night......

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 05:16:32 PM »
at this altitude, I'd speculate the 1.8 would win.  the turbos offset the loss of O2 in the air at altitude which robs normally aspirated engines of power at the rate of a few % for each 1000 feet in elevation.

Other factors will include transmission choice too.  Also 4wd will help in applying power to the road comming out from around the corners if either of you have that option.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 05:16:32 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 05:56:56 PM »
You are an Lawyer - I say race!! - At lease you can defent yourself in court... ;-)

I too think the 1.8t would win, but all to often the driver and the skils with the gear box are the deturmining factor.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 06:07:06 PM »
my V6 is faster, hehehe!! ;) I say the turbo will be quicker at altitude, but only one way to find out.

Power comes from the increased density of the air, through the turbo...anyone driving up to the mountains knows how much better a turbo handles overall compared to normally aspirated engines.  I will always have a turbo car if living in Colorado and frequenting the mountains.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 06:22:10 PM »
If you had two identical Variants except for the engine, I would put my money on the 1.8T.

The torque on the 1.8T is a lot better than you think, so you will launch off the line and accelerate quickly.

Now the problem is you will also peak faster in terms of HP especially on the climb and depending on the distance it could be a neck and neck finish, but the longer you go the more likely you will be passed by the V6 with is additional HP.

Let's just say i passed a lot of V6's on my holl climbs up I-70 in my Passat when it was stock, so that's where my faith int eh 1.8T comes from.

Of course I may be wrong.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 07:01:40 PM »
With both cars being stock and the only difference being engine, I would put my money on the V6.  It's be damn close either way though.  There's not a significant difference.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Lila

• Lightly Modded
both variants are 5spds, front wheel drive
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 07:23:20 PM »
Don't know how factors, but they are the same in that regard.

Kraut, good to hear from you!  Yes, we attorneys break the law with reckless abandon since we can always talk our way out of trouble...... Not!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Re: both variants are 5spds, front wheel drive
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 07:36:40 PM »
Quote from: "Lila"
Kraut, good to hear from you!  Yes, we attorneys break the law with reckless abandon since we can always talk our way out of trouble...... Not!

That is why I did not go to law school...then my all-too-often-used excuse of "I did not know..."  whould no longer be valid.  Well that I am an not that smart.
 :P

Are you going to be able to make any of the GTG next weekend?  There is one in Boulder, not too far from your place. ;-)
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 07:46:13 PM »
I'm betting on the Ferrari that come screaming up from the bottom of the hill :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 08:25:19 PM »
Why not just head up to Eisenhower Tunnel at 11k+ ft? I love passing cars on I-70 that are gasping for air.

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: both variants are 5spds, front wheel drive
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 08:26:45 PM »
Quote from: "Lila"
Yes, we attorneys break the law with reckless abandon since we can always talk our way out of trouble...... Not!

Some of us do - well only sometimes  :wink:

Didn't know there were other attorneys around here.  Glad to have more of us here.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Lila

• Lightly Modded
no GTG for me...
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 05:25:17 PM »
Randy --- nope, can't make the next GTG, too much going on, and I'm out of town for the next 5 days or so.  As for the Sugarloaf race, we'll have to see if we can have the road closed for a race, like Pike's Peak !  I still think my car is faster than everyone else's, and you can't prove me wrong....

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 06:16:39 PM »
Alright, let me know when you want to race.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065