Author Topic: Midnight Drive Review  (Read 1197 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Midnight Drive Review
« on: August 16, 2004, 09:21:04 PM »
Friday Nights drive was great.  For all of you who missed it here is a quick rundown of the events.

We met at Avalons new shop on Evans, just east of I-25.  There were about 20 cars.  2 Porsche, 1 M3, 3 B5 S4, 2 old style S4, 4-5 B5 Audi 1.8t, 4 MKIV GTI, 1 Jetta, and my ONE AND ONLY B5.5 Passat.

We headed out on 285 West and ripped up the canyon for about 10-15 miles.  As we turned around to get on a frontage road, we passed a Jefco Sheriff.  Bummer… the next 15 minutes were spend driving slow until we could get on to 470 and head down to HWY 85.  Once on 85 we cruised down to Sedalia.  After a quick stop to account for all the cars – and laugh at some misguided soul in a Civic who followed us – we were off.

The road was is great shape and there was not car on it – well except for us.  We were moving along a quite a pace, up and down the hills, in and out of the curves, all of us loving it.  Now at this point I was running at the end – not because of my lack of performance – but because I had a radio and volunteered to run at the end.  As we came to a rather sharp, down hill, left hard turn it happened….

The 1996 S4 in front of me (NOTE:  This car was piloted by an older gentleman in his 50’s and along for the ride was his VERY UNDERTANTDING wife and son.  Up to this point he had been driving very well.) I saw tail light disappear and in their place headlights reappeared.  

8O   :o  BRAKES!!!

I was able to stop and so was he.  I was in the right lane, facing the right direction.  He was slight off the left shoulder facing at me for the most part.  He had completed an unscheduled 270 degree turn in the middle of the turn and on to the straight away.  I politely asked the rest of the cars to stop – via the radio.

After we made sure all the people in the S4 were good to go, we caught up to the rest of the group.  After a good retelling of the story by those of us that lived it, we turned around and headed back to Denver.

It was a 2 hour drive and a great time.  I was impressed with the number of good cars and good drivers that showed up.  I will defiantly be going on the next one…and some of you should come too.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Midnight Drive Review
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 11:27:32 AM »
I will definately try to make the next Randy...not fears there...September baby. Hmmm...maybe I should pick up my wheels early :sly:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Midnight Drive Review
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 11:27:32 AM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Midnight Drive Review
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 12:56:41 PM »
You will need them if you go.  I would be happy to let you take 'em for a test drive if you want to.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
Midnight Drive Review
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 01:22:12 PM »
I went on the last one, and has a blast for sure!  I also started out in the rear, but decided I had enough and wound up behind the porsche, and then had a blast!

Next time....

Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!