Author Topic: Found used parts-need input!  (Read 2563 times)

HawkmanA4

• Stock
    • http://vanekh.oasiswellness.com/
Found used parts-need input!
« on: April 28, 2003, 02:51:53 PM »
First-off I would like to say that it was great meeting everyone that I did at the BBQ! I look forward to many more good times!

I found someone who is selling a Nuespeed short shifter ($100) and a GIAC chip ($250) off his 2000 A4TQM! :lol:  It sounds like a great deal but I am just a bit concerned about used parts. Please let me know what you think
00 A4 1.8TQMS- FOR SALE
'04 A4 Avant 1.8TQM Ultra Sprot
Hawk Vanek
HawkInvestmentRealty@comcast.net
www.SoarWithHawk.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 04:19:46 PM »
The short shifter sounds about right for price being used, I guess I would just inquire how long it was used for etc. You shouldn't have to worry too much about the SS being safe as long as you get all the parts it should be fine.

As for the chip, make sure it is 100% compatible with your model year car.  Pat might be able to shed more light on that.  The price sounds good on the chip as well. Also, on the chip, is the seller looking for an ECU swap or what (that's what I am guessing...a swap)? Otherwise the seller has a spare ecu with the chip.

Alan bought his APR setup used and has been very pleased with it.  

Buying stuff used always has that hint of suspicion, so always approach it as educated as possible.  Luckily the Audi and VW communities are very large and very compatible so I feel better buying stuff from other VW owners than I do from other Scout owners.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 04:19:46 PM »

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 04:57:31 PM »
Ditto what Jay said. My springs and wheels were purchased used and I have been very pleased w/ the products and working with the sellers out in California (former Passat owners turned A4 owners).

The price for the GIAC chip sounds very good. Regular price is $500 (ship ecu to California, have it socketed, ship chipped ecu back to you). I'm not sure if GIAC keeps the stock chip or not. ***Like Jay said, verify ecu numbers for compatibility***. If it's just the chip, I'm not sure who can do the soldering for you here in town. That'll be an extra $50+ labor I assume. If it's $250 for the spare chipped ecu, then that's a steal! Jump all over that.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 06:56:48 PM »
Yeah, I don't really have much to add other than what the others said.  I guess I wouldn't really worry too much about the shifter compatablility.  Seems like a no-brainer to me if it's the same model year.  Before getting the chip, be absolutley sure it'll work with yours.  It may take some research, but do what it takes to have no doubt.  It may involve finding your engine code or comparing VINs.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 08:53:51 PM »
I bought both my Neuspeed short shifter and my APR chipped ECU used from a couple different guys who were selling them on clubb5.com.  It also makes me nervous buying stuff from people who live out of state who I've never met before.  Just talk to them on the phone and ask them all about the parts to make sure they're ok.  Also, I probably wouldn't buy from someone who doesn't have a very high post count on the boards.  Maybe you could browse thru their old posts to make sure they haven't sold any bad parts or anything.
Those prices sound good though, so definitely follow up on this.

Alan
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

HawkmanA4

• Stock
    • http://vanekh.oasiswellness.com/
Thank you !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 06:23:10 PM »
Thank you for all the input. Unfortunately yesterday I was having problems with my clubb5 account and couldn't get to the forum! I ended up getting the GIAC chip in the ECU w/ an extra stock chip as well, Bailey diverter valve w/ upgraded vacuum hose, and Nuespeed SS for $425 shipped! :lol:  I just have to send him back my stock ECU and diverter valve. After I read your comments i contacted him again about the ECU compatibility and we agreed that if it did not work I could just send it back instead of my stock one! It is all on it's way!!!! Thank you again for the helpful info! :D
00 A4 1.8TQMS- FOR SALE
'04 A4 Avant 1.8TQM Ultra Sprot
Hawk Vanek
HawkInvestmentRealty@comcast.net
www.SoarWithHawk.com

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 05:45:38 PM »
Sweet deal Hawk! Did you ask him what the part number on the top of the ECU was? That is the best way to see if the different ECU's are compatable. The last three digits are the ones to worry about. But I would think that if your car is a DBW car (no throttle cable) then it should work just fine. Both VW and Audi changed to the DBW system with the 2000 MY. Pat's A4('99.5) and my 1.8T ('99) Passat are some of the last Throttle cable cars. We missed out on the boost pressure sensor things, but we got better flowing heads! :wink:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!