Author Topic: The Low Down on the W8 Incident  (Read 1949 times)

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
The Low Down on the W8 Incident
« on: July 30, 2004, 04:07:49 AM »
Some of you know the story, some don't.  Sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.  I drive like one..., but that has nothing to do with this subject.

So, the W8 is in the shop, the auto body shop.  No, I didnít wreck it; it was not even involved in any vehicle to vehicle contact.  However, it is being repainted, so what could have happened?  

I was driving South on highway 470 in the left lane about 300 yards before the Bowles exit.  At 80 MPH, a 2004 Town and Country mini-van's right passenger window drops from the van, and hits the highway in front of my car.  Glass shards pelt the living crap out of my car, leaving strange square cuts in the plastic, paint, windshield, sun roof, and leaving me with a rather sunken feeling in my heart.  I finally was able to get the lady to pull over, and I proceeded to explain to her that her window caused damage to my car.  She argued profusely with me on the subject, until I told her I was going to call the cops to figure out the matter.  After they arrived, they calmly explained to her that I was not trying to dupe her, and that she was responsible for the damages.  

After exchanging information, we went on our ways.  I promptly call her insurance, American Family, and was surprised at their immediate responsiveness to my claim.  That day, the estimates were complete, and the following day the repairs were scheduled!  Amazing service on their behalf.  

So, my W8 should be done tomorrow.  Euro Collision in Highlands Ranch is doing the work, as they came highly recommended by several respected sources.  They promised me that the paint job and repairs would be OEM or better quality, and that neither I nor anyone else would ever be able to tell the work was done.  So, we shall see.  My car is such a rare gem, only 400 W8's with Six-Speeds produced for 2003, maybe only 50 with my color.  Most of them were either black or silver.  So, I am hoping that the value of my car does not change as a result of this incident!

So anyone who has damage to their car caused by another vehicle on the road, it pays to follow up on it, stop the person.  Even those trucks that have signs saying "We are not responsible for broken windshields" are just frivolous disclaimers, according to the State Patrol.  Stand up for your rights, and your car's paint!

Thatís my story, and I am sticking to it!

Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 06:19:40 AM »
I am interested to hear how the repair turned out once you get it back...that color can't be all that easy to match...but I do hope they did a good job.

cheers
jon

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 06:19:40 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 10:38:57 AM »
Nice work.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 03:49:28 PM »
You da man JDawg!

I can't belive the lady was arguing with you. I would have gone nuts!
mad wagon

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 12:23:59 AM »
yeah, I would've bitch slapped some sense into her!

How could you not notice your mirror fall off your car while driving?!
Luckily the damage was not that serious -- I dodged some furniture falling off a pickup trunk on the highway one time, that was very scary!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 12:40:03 AM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
How could you not notice your mirror fall off your car while driving?!

Not the mirror, the whole freakin' window!!! Hello lady?!?

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 03:41:57 AM »
Well, Ladies and Gentleman...

The W8 is now in my garage, resting quietly... from being raped at the auto body shop!  I am not happy, and probably should not write anything about Euro Collision right now.  We will see on Monday what kind of shop they are, because they will need to re-do my car.  

1.  Paint on driver's fender has streaking type marks.
2.  Paint on bumper surround shows pitting, has several rough areas, and has streaking.
3.  Paint on passenger side roof has streaking and brush type marks in it.
4.  Paint on hood has debris and other imperfections.
5.  Paint on roof has debris and still shows glass damages from the incident.
6.  Windshield not installed properly, one side is higher than the other.
7.  Strange permanent black paint on head liner in passenger compartment.
8.  Greasy finger prints around sun roof, during install
9.  Interior now smells like paint, and nothing else.
10. Interior not in same condition as it was pre-incident.  Paint dust impregnated into dash board, door switches, and light switch, vents, around "A" pillars, and floor mats and carpet dirty.
11. Passenger mirror's plastic bezel installed incorrectly, plastic does not line up with painted surfaces, and screws are stripped.
12. Both lower plastic moldings on quarter panels do not fit correctly.
13. HID headlights not aimed, 3 fault codes stored in ECU regarding shorts to ground for auto range motors.
14. W8 Emblem not replaced.
15. Molding on driver door severely damaged, and needs to be replaced.
16. Aftermarket antenna removed and is missing.
17. Sun roof makes strange sound, and is not flush with roof of car.
18. Rough paint under driver side quarter panel.
19. Front black plastic piece not replaced, as specified.
20. Clear bra has bubbles, crease marks, and looks terrible.

I think that is everything.  Now, I am a perfectionist, my car is a $41K car, I take great pride in keeping it in like new condition, and I have respect for quality work.  What was done to my car, was not quality work.  The only postive I can possibly find is that they did match the color extreemly well.  Other than that, everything they touched was not done correctly.  How hard is it to properly repair a car?  I just don't understand, I really do not.  

I have called the insurance company, and I will be speaking with the owner tomorrow.  I am confident that some how, this will get resolved.  Right now, I am just very unhappy... and have good reason to be.

Updates to come....
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 04:03:08 AM »
hmmm, sounds like a shotty job to me. I do hope they can correct it all.

cheers
jon

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 04:25:33 AM »
bummer
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 10:31:55 AM »
OMG! Jason! That's @#*&ing Horrible!

I've often wondered myself how I would do business-wise if I learned the fine-art of body work and opened my own shop catering to guys like us.
I hear nothing but bad things about body shops. I wonder if good ones even exist.

The owner may have no clue as to how his employees do their job and may end up being as pissed as you. Hopefully he will be upset at his staff's workmanship and not you.

I'm positive you'll get things resolved. Good luck man!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 01:56:37 PM »
Jason, this really sucks! It's totally unacceptable! Man, I can't believe they did such a crappy job. I thought they were a reputable shop too! I commend you for keeping your cool and this will be resolved one way or another. I would lose my mind if that ever happend to my car, especially if I had a W8. This kind of crap is grounds for them replacing your car! If they can't fix it like new then they should replace it with new - same color, same options! Now you got me pissed...

Although, Lisa and I test drove a Mercedes AMG C43 over the weekend and that is a fast car! Not as fast as an M3, but still it was fast...

:|
mad wagon

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 12:41:55 AM »
Jeez, I must've read the post too fast -- the entire window!!!  8O
I sorry to hear and even sorrier to hear about the body shop.  I thought they were supposed to be good. :?

I just took my car to the body shop today to get part of it repainted (many parking lot scrapes and scratches to fix, and the roof will be done in black).  They are also fixing the misaligned body panels that the first shop couldn't get right (it was in the shop for 4 months and $12,000 in repairs, for an accident that happened 4 days after I bought it).  The original repairs were done at a shop in Glenwood Springs, where they were supposed to be experts in German cars and was recommended by the local VW/Audi dealership.

I using the same body shop Andrew (34k) went to, and they know what they are doing.  The repairs are not cheap, but for 11 days of work it doesn't seem that bad, and they promised to make my car as good as new.

Some insurance companies will guarentee the work for the life of the car, providing you're using a shop that's on their approved list.  This is a good thing because sometimes you won't notice faults or missed repairs for months or even years after work has been done.

I hope everything works out, and hope you get it worked out before the next GTG -- but your old Jetta ain't bad either.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 12:47:31 AM »
Wow Jason sorry to hear man.  Your W8 is a beautiful car, I certainly hope they can go back and resolve this issue the appropriate way by redoing it and redoing it properly.

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 01:10:47 AM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"

I hope everything works out, and hope you get it worked out before the next GTG -- but your old Jetta ain't bad either.

Yeah, his old "beater" looked pretty nice  :P   Hope you get your car fixed up soon man, sucks when a job like that is done poorly :(

Jonathan

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 04:54:40 PM »
Gosh, I just now read your post!

Horror of Horrors that this should happen to your most beautiful and rare car!  I really enjoyed it when you were down here.  Such a beautiful color.  To have this happen, and then to have the body shop screw up the repair... there is nothing I can say to alleviate the pain.  Suffice that all of us here feel really bad for you.

BTW, technically the glass falling off is not "her fault" unless you can prove some kind of negligence on her part, like one of her kids pushing out on the window.  Usually, it's technically a "road hazard", and if her insurance didn't pay, it would have been covered by your comprehensive coverage.  It's pretty cool that her insurance paid you without any hassle!  It's pretty f*cking horrible what the body shop did to your car... got an update? Is it in litigation so you're being quiet about it?  Hope you're up and running for the GTG this weekend.

Condolences - Rusty
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 12:59:09 PM »
Thanks for everyone's support!  Sometimes I wonder if maybe I am being too demanding, but then I remember how much pride I take in my car, my enthusiasm, and that many of you share the same level of anal retentiveness that I do.  

The latest information on this problem is that Euro Collision has owned up to the mistakes, and has agreed to repair the car to my satisfaction.  I am planning to take it to them next week to get everything done, with exception of a molding piece I hope to have installed today.  The replacement molding should basically make the car look normal, to the untrained eye.  Secondly, the insurance company alluded to providing me with a "reduction in value" payment, a sum that should be around 4 - $6,000.  This way if I do get nailed by someone purchasing the car, I would not have lost any money as a result of the accident.  However, I never plan to sell or get rid of this car; I think it is a keeper...

Thanks

Jason
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold