Author Topic: Mods on my 1.8t  (Read 5543 times)

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« on: August 26, 2004, 03:26:55 PM »
Here in September I can see my car desiring to grow, in speed, and handling.  Shes a quick one.  I just got her and she is allready telling me she wants more.  So,  I wanted to pose a two question to my fellow V dubbers.  How often are there days to install mods, and how experienced are those who help install?  It seems that I have a few options...  I know the guys at Mt. States really well, I used to work with them, but they dont seem to excited about giving up the time to help me out.  So I dont want to push them, unless I have to.  The shop that I buy my parts from will happily install for a charge, but I know that it will be right, or after complaning if wrong will be made right.  Or maybe I can get together with some kewl RM5 guys, gals and make a day out of it.  Any thoughts or suggestions let me know.
Thanks

Dueces   :bigups:
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 03:49:46 PM »
Ooohhh I rember this feeling.

Any day that you have the time is a good day to mod.
I'm fairly versed in the workings of a 1.8t depending on weather you have a MKIV or a B5.

Dont ever pay to have any thing installed before asking the community, odds are we can help you and you can save a considerable ammount.

What kind of mods were you thinking about?

We can go from their.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 03:49:46 PM »

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 04:27:24 PM »
Sweet.  Mods are as follows...  Coilovers, sways, blowoff, downpipe, exhaust, intake, chip, and eventually intercooler (the really nice new Bolt-On neuspeed one, that would be sweet!!!!), oh yeah and then after that brakes, rotors etc.  Realistically I see myself having all mods but the intercooler and brakes by the end of September.  The others proabably around spring time.  Thanks for any and all help.  I am more than willing to get dirty and learn in the process, I just don't have a garage, and tools.

shummer

• Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 04:29:19 PM »
I definitely recommend doing the work at one of the garage days. I think the biggest benefit (even bigger than saving money) is learning about your car. You may not be able to install/troubleshoot/fix everything at a garage day, but I think it's worth the time and effort. I've had to visit the dealership a few times after not being able to fix problems at a garage day.

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 04:37:50 PM »
Thanks Andrew.  :)

shummer

• Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 04:41:50 PM »
I think all the mods you listed are doable at a garage day except maybe the exhaust. Not sure if that's a bolt-on (doable) or if welding is needed (don't know anybody that welds).

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 04:44:11 PM »
Ditto on Andrew's stuff. We almost always have tons of fun on Garage days...they're a great way to meet everyone and bond with your car.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 04:53:50 PM »
The only one I might recommend against on there is the BOV, not real good with the VAG 1.8T engines.

Getting an exhaust welded in is pretty cheap ata  muffler/exhaust shop, so if it can't be bolted right up it shouldn't cost you too much to get that done.  

Everything else is really DIY and with the garage days it makes it go fast and the combined experience of members helps.

As always, with a DIY project there are no warranties expressed or implied :).

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 04:58:37 PM »
This is looking very good.  If at all possible then could there be a garage day scheduled around the end of September,begining of November?  Obviously correlating with tools, and skills?  I will have a more concrete date on when I will have the parts, but like I said by the end of September I will be good to feed my baby !!  HEHE...  Oh yeah sidenote, I think the Neuspeed exhaust I was looking at is bolt on.  :)  

Thanks

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 05:02:39 PM »
Hey Gietl, just out of curiosity, why discourage the BOV?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 05:04:15 PM »
if the exhaust is cat back, not a problem.  disposal and moving the old one around is the problem.  If you take it off at the garage day, it is huge, one solid unit, where the neuspeed will come in sections.  You might need a saws-all to cut it down  and find somewhere to dispose of the old one.

I know suspensions and brakes pretty well, will be happy to help, but I work on weekends.  So if you can ever do a week day, we can do an install here at my place, I got some pretty decent tools.

cheers
jon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 05:07:59 PM »
:mrgreen:

BOV's----what they said
                                    |
                                    |
                                    |
                                   \/
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 05:12:45 PM »
The problem with the BOV's that are out there, with the possible exception of the GFB Hybrid BOV is that they purge the vaccum system of pressure, so you have to spool up again.  The Hybrid one will let you set it to a happy medium of pressure and sound, but the net gain in performance is ZERO.

at Clubb5.com we frequently see BOV's up for sale...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 05:16:12 PM »
No BOV then, I dont want the kewl sound that bad.  Um JR, what is a DV?  Oh yeah and Gietl mentioned DIY??  What is that

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 05:21:12 PM »
DV is the Diverter Valve, which prone to failure especially with engines that have more power than stock (although they don't last too long on stock engines either).

DIY - Do It Yourself
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 05:21:34 PM »
So here's the deal on BOV, our cars, be it a PAssat, Golf, Jetta, GTI are all controled by ECUs.  These control units help determine what needs ot be done.

For the engine we have a Mass Airflow Sensor which reads how much air is coming by and the ECU takes that and figures out how much fuel to dump in.

When you are bossting and let off the gass there is still air rushing past he MAF while the BOV is releaseing it into the engine bay.

With the BOV you are releasing that built up pressure in an attempt to prevent the pressure causing any potnetial damage to the turbo.  In the case of our cars the pressure is release, and the ECU is expecting it to still be there and then you end up will extra fuel being dumped into the engine with less air than it needs.  So basically running rich.

Now there are hybrid BOV/Bypass Valves out there that seem to work a bit better.  I believe the intention here is to build up the pressure until the spring gives and allow the boos to rush in, then when acceleration has stopped release the excess pressure.  Again there could be issues here but since the Bypass Valve portion keeps the pressure backed up the ecu may better calculate the a/f mixture.

So basically in the hybrid if you let of fhte gas and there is still enough pressure built up to compress hte spring in the BOV/BV that air will be let out until the spring pushes the little diaphragm back into place.  Then that back pressure will just recirculate and slow down the airflow past the MAF.

I would take the time to research the 1.8T and the use of BOVs before dropping the coin.  They do sound  cool, but the potential problems may outweigh the sound and performance enhancements.

I would go for a nice high end rebuildable Bypass Valve.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 05:22:13 PM »
Ha, well I think we beat the BOV thing to death. :)

madigan

• Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 05:26:08 PM »
Quote from: "coveredbytheblood"
why discourage the BOV?

They are for Honda's only! :-P

Haha...just kidding.

(borrowed from CB5)
The 1.8T system is build to recalculate air, but BOV's vent it to the atmosphere and since there is no way to recover from the air loss, the car will run rich because the ECU thinks its still recalculating. you will lose power, and you can damage your engine ... read this for more info http://jsalmi.com/bov/
mad wagon

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2004, 05:39:57 PM »
Wow thanks a lot.  This is great!!  So by not going that route I just saved nearly 250$$  That is SWEEEEET.  That money would be much better spent on grilling materials or other fun stuff.  YEEEEHHAAAAAWWW

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 02:51:57 AM »
I acctually ran a BOV for about a week and my car boosted and drove just fine, it just ran rich is all, soo I took it off. just like Mark posted.
Your exhaust is do-able at a garage day but I think that you have to cut the stock one off. No big deal.

You may want to consider breaks being higher on the list. I wish that I had upgraded breaks on my car now that I have the REVO 3bar software installed. JR and my self were very suprized one day when we slid half way into an empty intersection when the breaks were too hot.

Other than that good luck.

Fugazi

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 11:23:56 AM »
Well, due to the recent drop of interest in the BOV..  brakes will probably be the substitute.  Thanks for the advice guys.  This is going to be stupendulous.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2004, 12:08:19 PM »
Yes, brakes are good. Suspension is good. I recommend doing both BEFORE you do your chipping more torque/hp mods. Only because you'll be able to enjoy them FAR more when you car can handle it all.

I'm doing my breaks this winter. Slotted/drilled with performance pads. (please do a search regarding pads/breaks as this subject has been discussed and hacked to death as well) and shocks this winter. Gonna get those Bilstiens on and make myself a happy, happy man.

As far as GTG's...just go out and buy some things, then post your need for install and it will roll from there.

BTW: I think we seriously suprised that lady in the intersection with the quickness that we got from curve to her...hehehe. It was almost BlueGolfSmashed
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2004, 12:51:38 PM »
Then it would have been GTG week for the bluegolfster!!  Allright then sounds like a plan.  Parts coming our way soon.....

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2004, 03:20:30 PM »
I completely agree with the brakes suggestion. While my stocks did remarkably well on the track (for being stock) there is some very serious room for improvement. The old saying you gotta stop fast if you want to go fast is very true. Aside from cosmetic upgrades I would rank upgrades thusly:

Tires (wheels if necessary or desired)
Suspension
Brakes
Engine with Drive train as needed

My own advice was superceded by the fact that Revo was offering such a great deal on software that I did my chip and DV before brakes but sometimes ya gotta break your own rules when the money is right.

*shrug*
my .02
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2004, 03:39:08 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"

BTW: I think we seriously suprised that lady in the intersection with the quickness that we got from curve to her...hehehe. It was almost BlueGolfSmashed

Ya I think so too... I would have been BlueGolfSad

Fugazi

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2004, 05:31:51 PM »
This is soOOOO great.  So is there a better route between the slotted, or drilled??  Im looking at them now.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2004, 06:11:47 PM »
Get  combo x-drilled and slotted. Not in theory slotted would be stonger because unless the x-drilled are ast that way they are litterally drilled after they are cast and there is the possibility of that causing failure.

Now there are more people without failure than there are that have found failures such as cracks.

Most everyone on here with aftermarket rotors has x-drilled or x-drilled/slotted and have had no problems.

Just giving you the full details, not knocking anyones brakes ;).

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2004, 06:19:47 PM »
Allright.  Good info.  Thanks

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2004, 08:32:23 PM »
My zimmermans, thought not the most visually appealing rotor (rust buildup on the hub and outer edges) has served me very well for almost a year.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Mods on my 1.8t
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2004, 03:37:08 AM »
I read an exelent write up in Sport Compact Car about diffrent types of rotors and how the preform between warm and 1000 degrees. They used an EVO and an STI and raced down a 5 mile course that droped almost 3000 feet. They got the pads to catch on fire on 2 occations, they said that the breaks as a whole were generally uneffected by fire.

Ill try and find the write up.

greg

Fugazi