Author Topic: Italian Restaurants  (Read 6235 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Italian Restaurants
« on: August 26, 2004, 04:05:25 PM »
Okay guys, my wife's birthday is on Wedensday and she loves Italian. I want to take her to a nice, romantic Italian restaurant. Do you have any recommedations?
Price is not an issue if the food/atmosphere can't be beat.

Thanks
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »
I always liked either the Med or Bacaro Ristorante - both in Boulder.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Italian Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »

shummer

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 04:36:43 PM »
My wife and I like Santino's (Downing and Wesley). It's near DU and right by our old house (you know where that is). Location may not seem very nice (next to liquor store and a Conoco), but the atmosphere is very romantic and the food is excellent. Do more restaurant research here:

http://denver.citysearch.com/section/restaurants

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 04:54:52 PM »
Look at the bottom of the citysearch page and you will see the company I work for listed. :)

madigan

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 05:59:53 PM »
Mikey's in the Highlands area...38th and Sheridan (I think) It's a small joint with huge portions.

If you want to be a Big Balla, there's always Maggiano's.
mad wagon

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 06:08:47 PM »
I love Maggiano's...not always the most romantic place, but fun and GREAT food...

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 06:21:28 PM »
Luigi's Bent Noodle on University north of County line is great and very romantic.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

shummer

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 06:48:26 PM »
We also like The Saucy Noodle on University (same block as Bonnie Brae Ice Cream). Definitely prefer Bent Noodle, Saucy Noodle, and Santino's over Maggiano's (sorry Mark and Jon).

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 06:57:25 PM »
Il Forniao (on Wazee, near 17th in LoDo), is a very nice and romantic place.  Good food, excellent service and they have valet parking (complementary, I think).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

madigan

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 06:58:41 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
We also like The Saucy Noodle on University (same block as Bonnie Brae Ice Cream). Definitely prefer Bent Noodle, Saucy Noodle, and Santino's over Maggiano's (sorry Mark and Jon).

Ooooo. I forgot about the Saucy Noodle. Lisa and I used to go there when we lived in Wash Park. I agree Andrew, the food there is excellent! I'd pick there over Maggiano's too.
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 07:23:04 PM »
Yeah, Maggiano's is about LAST on my list. Il Forniao...too much experience with them and I'm looking for something with a little more class...

See, I want semi-private, cozy tables, good wine and food are obvious, preferably a smaller establishment known for their emphasis on taste and attention to detail. No chain (Maggiano's-too many crowds)

There's this place in Chicago just south of Wicker Park, just east of Bucktown called "Rose Angeli's" It's actually a house converted to restaurant. The only other establishment in the residential area is a bar/lounge caddy corner to the restaurant. It's small with an expansive selection of wines, homemade italian cuisine and very knowledgable staff. I miss it terribly.

Something similar to that. I know I won't find anything like that here, but you know, I can try. "The Painted Bench" here reminds me of it a little. I'm looking for something a little cozier than that. So ah, you know.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 07:49:55 PM »
Ich Weiss Nich!

Not much of a Downtown eater, being so far away and all...That and in my opinion nothing beat some freshly charred meat off the grill.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 08:21:36 PM »
Quote from: "kraut-sled"
Not much of a Downtown eater, being so far away and all...That and in my opinion nothing beat some freshly charred meat off the grill.

I'd second that.  My favorite resturant of all time meets all of JR's requirements - except the darn Italian part.  The Greenbriar.  My wife and I have a standing habit of going there for our aniversary and/or birthdays.    YUMMY!

http://www.greenbriarinn.com/
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

gragravar

• Supercar
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 08:30:03 PM »
oh yeah, and I'd also HIGHLY recommend Beano's Cabin up in Beaver Creek.  It's Remote, and it is Spendy, but you should try it at least once!  

http://beavercreek.snow.com/info/winter/rst.din.beanos.asp

PS - Plan to spend the night up there after dinner.

shummer

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 08:43:29 PM »
Santino's! Do it! Eat it! It's got the exposed brick walls inside, covered patio, greenery, romantic blah-blah-blah. The tables are not semi-private, but you shouldn't be looking around anyways...and wait until you get home for goodness sakes!

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 08:52:34 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
I love Maggiano's...not always the most romantic place, but fun and GREAT food...

I double that.  Both my wife and I enjoy going there.  In fact we have reservations on Sept 18th.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 11:53:38 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus"
Il Forniao (on Wazee, near 17th in LoDo), is a very nice and romantic place.  Good food, excellent service and they have valet parking (complementary, I think).

2nd Il Forniao, great food the couple times I have been there, and good service.  Not really romantic per se, but a nice classy place.  I have only been to the one in / near Flatirons Crossing.

Jonathan

sediahaka

• Lightly Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 12:17:42 AM »
Bucca de Beppo  there's one down town and one on Santa Fe.  but you better go hungry.

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 12:25:51 AM »
Quote from: "boostedpassat22"
Bucca de Beppo  there's one down town and one on Santa Fe.  but you better go hungry.

LOL  Yeah, the order of garlic bread feeds 4 people :P

Jonathan

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 12:54:42 AM »
Via Toscana. Absolutely the best Italian food I've had yet, and won't break the bank. Better than Maggiano's, better than Il Fornaio. Don't dare leave without at least one of you getting the tiramasu - I have not yet found its equal.

I would say their specialty is the lemon/caper sauces over halibut or mahi - that's my favorite dish. Whoever is back there making the sauces is NOT messing around - very good stuff.

They are located in Louisville in a little strip mall on the corner of McCaslin and Cherry (VERY word-of-mouth type place, unique and hidden...).
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 11:42:35 AM »
YEAH! NOW we're getting somewhere...My wife and I are Mahi freaks!
And the Greenbriar looks perfect but I really need Italian.
I think out of all these...right now Via Toscana or Santino's look like my best bets. But how's the atmosphere?
And if the Tiramasu at Via Toscana tops Rose Angeli's in Chicago...it's definately the place!
But I don't know for sure yet. We can't spend the night anywhere as it's Wednesday.
Has anyone been to that cool little Italian place in Glenwood Springs? It's in the basement of these shops on the main strip there. Very good, not romantic per se, but VERY good!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2004, 12:01:44 PM »
We've been to one Italian place in Glenwood Springs. It was in the basement of some shops on Main St. I know it was near a candle store that had the tubs of hot waxes in the store. The restaurant was more like "brown some beef and add jarred spaghetti sauce and serve".

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2004, 12:06:19 PM »
depends on your definition of 'romantic atmosphere'. I think Via Toscana has great atmosphere - but its not especially quiet; not loud either. It is nicely decorated inside and there are a few secluded spots that would be a little more private, but you might be out in the middle of the room too.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2004, 12:12:11 PM »
Ah, decisions, decisions.

Andrew, that's funny. It may be the same place, but I liked it. Whatever.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

reem01

• Stock
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2004, 12:55:30 PM »
I love Italian as well.  The two that I am suggesting, are not the most romantic, but the first is more than the second.  But their food is where it is at!

Pagliacci's Italian Restaurant
Best ministrone soup you will ever have, and the food is great as well.  Nice little place with good service, and semi-romantic setting.

Patsy's Inn Italian Restaurant
This place seems like it is in a not great area, but surrounded buy art galleries.  Great food, decent atmosphere, just don't sit in the serction with the loung music guy playing, too loud.

Angie and I go to Pagliacci's when we want a nice Italian dinner.

Mike

shummer

• Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2004, 01:28:24 PM »
Taste is so subjective. I'm sure I can find something I like at Fazoli's, but that doesn't mean it's good Italian food.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2004, 01:33:40 PM »
Haha! You're a snooty Italian food eater aren't you?

But that's true. I like my Italian homemade and if it's a dish that has red sauce, it'd better be robust.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2004, 01:45:29 PM »
jeez, i love italian food and hate red sauce!!! I never order anything tomato-based (sun-dried tomatos however are in a category of their own and I will eat them by themselves... straight from the jar if I have to). My favorite sauces are very light; olive oil and garlic, lemon-caper, and of course my favorite: basil pesto... mmmmm, i'm getting hungry now. :D

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2004, 02:29:34 PM »
Basil-pesto is my ulimate fav. My wife makes a homemade pesto that knocks me on the floor. Olive oil and garlic however I must keep on the bread. I enjoy them much more there.
I'm hungry too.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Italian Restaurants
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2004, 05:21:19 PM »
This maybe too late, but I totally forgot about Moda (on the South West corner of Lincoln and 10th at the base of the new monsterous and gauwdy Beauvallion condo development).
It's has a very nice atmosphere (a bit on the trendy side but comfortable) and the food is more on the modern side of Italian cuisine.  There is complementary valet parking.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50