Author Topic: Are you CO guys planning a GTG this summer.  (Read 4058 times)

mghunt

• n00balicious
Are you CO guys planning a GTG this summer.
« on: May 01, 2003, 07:22:20 PM »
My dad and I would love to join you guys again.  Any plans in July or August like the past couple years?

-Mark

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 05:13:42 PM »
Hey Mark! Nothing has been said yet about the Nat'l GTG3. OK, there. I named it. Nat'l GTG3, I'm off the patened office right now...

Some ideas have been batted around. Some have said that early Sept might be better. But I know that Sept. is usually the start of school for many. Both young and old head back around then. But the weather would be more conduceive to a Track day and over all happiness of all participants. But timing is everything. Also, Boris' house is out of the running as Party central. The Magistrate has deemed fit to force the sale of his home. Divorce is a nasty business...  :(
So, any suggestions? Anyone...? Bueller?
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 05:13:42 PM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 05:17:45 PM »
Either August or September will work for me.  We should start planning this again for this year.

If we decide to do Second Creek again, we should really enjoy our time there since it is the last year they will be open...

Also, after picking the date, we need to have a host house where all of the happenings will take place.  My vote is for Jay's place, since there is a lot of parking on the streets, it is centrally located and he has a kegerator.

:)
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 05:37:04 PM »
Where is Jay's place again? Down by DU? Parking is the most important thing. Even more so than having a Kegarator. Yes, I know, that may seem hard to believe. But we do need to think about parking all those cars.

I'd gladly volunteer my house right out of the gate, but I'd have to get the OK from my wife first. Also, location to resonably priced hotels is a must for our out of towners. Again, there are a lot of nice, well priced hotels just down the street from me. And Second Creek isn't all that far from Aurora.

But again, I'd need to run this past my wife. And my nieghbors. But I think they wouldn't mind. Well, maybe the guy who waters his lawn every day and washes his car like 4 times a week.  :roll:  You all know, the guy with the punk kid who has the nasty brown BMW with the wing.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :twisted:  :evil:

Let me run this up the 'ol flag poll...
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 05:43:00 PM »
Haha!  The Wing!  That's right, I forgot how much HP those things add though...

Chas I think your house would work pretty well too!  Especially since it is pretty close to SC...

Let us know what Renee has to say.  Otherwise, that sounds good to me!

Is it just you and I posting today or what?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 05:51:36 PM »
Well I am centrally located and in a way I have ample parking thanks to the way the street is set up.  Of course between the 4 of us at the house there are 6 cars ant a Motorcycle :).

Maybe we could do something at Chas' for the SC day and if we do a second day that is a drive, like last year, we could end up at my house?

Of course I need to get the OK from the roomies.  We do have a big backyard, a kegerator, foosball, darts (over the foosball table!), music and the highway.

There is also ample crashing space for those that have too much B5in fun!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 06:46:07 PM »
Parking is reasonable at my place....we can also have something here if you all want.  My neighbors would get a kick out of it...I will just invite them along for the BBQ.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 06:47:17 PM »
Well I thought it was just you and me winston. Who let that Jay guy in????  :roll:  :wink:

That's a great idea Jay! That could work real well. And not put the load on one person too much. renee has Fridays off these days so I'm sure she would like to hang out at the track for a little while and see what it is I like to do out there. Maybe she could sneak in a drive or two.  :wink:  8O
Then off to my house for the first round of a three day weekend extravaganza!

And you're right Starting off from your neck off the woods for the drive on Saturday would be better than people traveling all the way out East only to go back West again.

Let's keep the ideas rolling!  :D
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

WendyDarling

• n00balicious
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 12:59:08 PM »
Someone should call Second Creek ASAP...the DCI guys were talking last night about it and they said every weekend is already booked for the summer (but I'm thinking if it's a Friday we might be okay)...

I would volunteer my place but parking is crap.  Chas', Jay's or Jon's would work I am sure...of course I'll do anything I can to help "hostess"...and I swear I'm bringing 2 gallons of water to the track this year.   :oops:  8)

~Wen

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 01:35:07 PM »
Wendy -

Second Creek is always booked ont he weekends for events, we would have to make the trackday a weekday, Fridays should work like last year.  However, we do need to call them to see if there are any date conflicts.

I wonder if Spec could help us in this area?

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 03:33:43 AM »
Well, I have been thinking about this for a bit, so I'll throw it out. I know there is a track north of town (actually, just outside Mead for those of you who know where it's at) and My house is all of a 15 minute drive from there. I just finished my 650sq/ft deck, am buying a nice large weber grill, have a 3 car garage, and plenty of parking in front of the house (on kind of a radius similar to Boris's place) There is also a school about 150 yards from my house if we had more than 20 or so cars at any one time. (this is all friday/friday night)

Saturday- We could drive the canyon up to Estes, down to loveland, back road to Ft. Collins, and rent out a nice big place to eat, or back to my place again for BBQ night 2? There are also a number of hotels right at I25 and 119 (road into Longmont) I used to know someone who managed one, I can check to see if we can get deals.....but I bet it's cheaper then anywhere in Denver just because it's NOT anywhere in Denver!

Sunday, again, I have some good idea's for drives.... but Sunday is rather up in the air normally so....

One other thought. How would everyone feel about Friday (local/Deverish..whatever) then say... a drive to Steamboat ala I70/vail/walsenburg, spend the night in the boat, (ohhhh cool hot springs) then coming back via the northern route (Poudre canyon) on sunday? I'm sure we could come up with a TON of variations, it's just that this Idea would cost more $$$ and be a real commitment for some people that are used to being able to attend 1 day and not another... have kids...etc. Just throwing it our for consideration.

All of these are just suggestions, let me know if any of you are interested in any or all of this.

Rian
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2003, 11:44:10 AM »
That's definitely an option.  What is the track like up near Mead?

A Sunday drive would be fun, and Steamboat to Poudre Canyon is one of the most beautiful drives in Colorado, but it is not a short one...3 hours along from Steamboat to Fort Collins...

I'm definitely up for it sometime though...

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 12:44:29 PM »
I like your plan Rian. The only thing (and I have no idea if this is true) but I have heard the track in Mead is not in the best condition..

Secondly, this is the last year of SCR, so it would be nice to get some time on that track this year..whether it's the national gtg or another track day gtg.

Thirdly.. some ppl can crash at my house if they want.
MWJD?

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 02:33:15 PM »
Like I said, only ideas  :D I know the drive to the boat is lengthy, which is why I suggested it be a 2 day affair (1 day out, one day back) when you think about it, our drives are commonly 4-5 hours long, they just return to where we started.

As for the track in Mead, well, I'm not sure of its condition. I honestly RARELY see people on it at all. I was on the track several years ago when my dad was into vintage racing (RMVR) and I think Chas has been on the track as well (since I know he raced RMVR) I'm kinda torn since this IS the last year for SCR. I have NO idea what they're going to do with SCR though, is it going up for sale? are they just "closing" it? I really haven't gotten the low down. With that many people (scca) around that use it EVERY weekend, I'd think there will be another option open SOON.

Rian
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

mghunt

• n00balicious
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 04:01:55 PM »
All of these plans sound great.  I just need to make sure that the GTG isn't on a particular weekend in August.  I got my 10 year reunion notice in the mail this past week and was planning to attend.  I think its the weekend of the 16th, but I have to make sure.  Any other weekend would be great.

I like Rian's plan the best since he seems pretty prepared for the influx of people.  Not sure about the two-day drive idea though.  Perhaps we should stick to the 4-5 hour drive for the sake of simplicity.

-Mark

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2003, 04:09:02 AM »
The track you guys are talking about is Mountain View Motorsports Park. It's right off I-25 and the Mead exit. I haven't run that track for a very long time now. It was a total hoot back then! :lol:  With a few different ways to run the course. It also has a fairly cool and quick elevation change that can be scarry at first for those that haven't driven it hard.

the last time I ran it was in my '63 MG Midget Vintage Race car. That was a hoot! I'm sure the Passat would be fun to push around this course too. I say "push" for those people without rear sway bars!!  :roll:  :P  :lol:  :lol:

It could be a lot of fun too. And something new!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2003, 12:37:53 PM »
Chas,

You get the award for the most gratuitous use of the word "hoot" in a posting!  In fact you get two!  I used to get made fun of for saying that, but sometimes, it is the only thing that fits!  :D