Author Topic: Intercooler Installed! Pics Added!  (Read 3051 times)

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Intercooler Installed! Pics Added!
« on: October 13, 2004, 01:09:14 PM »
Here is the hole, aparently this is what happens when you blow an intercooler hose and it comes in direct contact with the pully system...

I found a rubber tire patch big enough to cover the hole and then cut my self a 2 inch wide by 12 inch long peice of old bed sheet. Soaked it in liquid silicone caulk, and wraped it around the patch area.

Here is what it lookes like right when you wrap it.

16 hours dry time....

For those of you that dont know this is what im working with....

Now I guess all I can do is pray that it seals when I put it all together.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 01:41:38 PM »
I assume this is from the new stuff and not the IC hose currently installed on your car 8O

Hope your dinner went well!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 01:41:38 PM »

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:02:11 PM »
Your correct this is new stuff, I would be installing all of this stuff right now but its snowing outside. :evil:

Dinner went off with out any major hitches, head count went from 3 to a total of 13 at the last min but, im a pro and made it work :wink:

Fugazi

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:26:50 PM »
Awesome! Congratulations :)

I got my new taillights from ECS and one of them has a big crack in it. Sorting out exchanging it now *sigh* Dog Bone Mount is here, and I'm looking forward to installing that. My Passport 8500 x50 arrived as well and I need to get that hardwired. It came with a hard wire kit so i don't think it's gonna be that much of a chore. I think maybe I'll go to the GTG next Wednesday and put this stuff in. If you're planning on being there, I can see if I can get that TT shifter for you. Either that or maybe for this weekend. I'll find out on Friday.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 02:34:34 PM »
Quote from: "34k"
Awesome! Congratulations :)

I got my new taillights from ECS and one of them has a big crack in it. Sorting out exchanging it now *sigh* Dog Bone Mount is here, and I'm looking forward to installing that. My Passport 8500 x50 arrived as well and I need to get that hardwired. It came with a hard wire kit so i don't think it's gonna be that much of a chore. I think maybe I'll go to the GTG next Wednesday and put this stuff in. If you're planning on being there, I can see if I can get that TT shifter for you. Either that or maybe for this weekend. I'll find out on Friday.

Thats a bummer... Do you think the crack is shipping related? Is ECS being cool with you? Hope it goes smoothly, ecs is always helped me out.

Im thinking about takeing my radar out, its a much more peacefull drive with out it going off ever 2 min... ill probly just leave it in though. I should definately be at jons on the 20th, going to try my very very best to make it to the avalon opening and im also going to make a solid effort to make it to wynkoop tomarow nite for dinner.

So meny trips to D-Town and so little time... We can definately get something going though.
Since I have to pull the air intake to do the intercooler install anyways I would like to try and do the TT shifter at the same time.

Greg

EDIT: My back yard 20 min ago... BURRRRR

Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 03:23:14 PM »
You're car's gonna be mad fun when you get done.

I'm putting the winter's on my car next week :(
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 06:27:08 PM »
Looks very nice Greg.  Sucks that its snowing out.  Keep us posted on how the install goes.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 03:02:39 PM »
Ok... Installing this morning (hopefully it will be done this morning.)

wish me luck, i think that I may need it.

Greg

Fugazi

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 04:14:14 AM »
Ok so this was an outragous project that took alot more work than I thought it would. The pics im about to add speak for them selves. The car isant running because of a missing vac line and a blown intercooler hose right off the bat... Hopefully it will be running well tomarow. With a little magic dust and a small merical that is...

Before

After

Inbetween....

The rest of the pics seen here...
http://www.rmcb5.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Intercooler-Mister-install&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1[img][/img]

Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 12:47:02 PM »
That's just cool :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 03:13:05 PM »
Thanks JR it will be very cool once it runs properly. Im pretty sure its because of the missing vac hose (it routes to the throttle body). We will find out today when we go to the auto parts store.

greg

Fugazi

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 05:40:23 PM »
Looks cool....not JR cool....but still cool. Anybody contact you yet?
Look officer, I really do own it......

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 08:12:04 PM »
So is this what you were doing yesterday instead of coming up to see us? :) looks sweet, kinda crazy, but very sweet. Yer gonna hafta get two TT fender liners now!

Hey, give me a call at some point. I think I must have forgotten to save your new number, duh.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 03:22:17 AM »
UPDATE Ok so the problem was the patch was too week to hold 20+ PSI, needless to say that intercooler hose was comprimised. Needing replacement. So im off to the auto parts store tomarow, the car should be running tomarow, I hope.

The deal with the missing vac line was a huge deal it connects to the black fitting on top of the throttle body seen in this pic.

When this hose isant connected the car FREAKS OUT it wont exit hard limp mode limiting the car to 4 psi, The check engine light came on and stayed on at iddle... untill we started to drive the car and then the check light started flashing very quickly. We took that as an extreamly bad sign and stoped the test drive.

But other than that we had a pretty clean run at it.

Also the car is way louder at iddle and through the little bit of first gear that I hit before the check light started flashing all crazy. So god only knows what it will sound like with a properly functioning intercooler system...

Havent gotten a call yet... still waitin.

Andy ill give you a call tomarow or pm. Sorry to ditch out on you guys but things shifted and that was the only day I had extra hands.

Fugazi

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »
Of course that patch won't hold 20 psi. I would bet it wouldn't hold 10 psi.

Anyhow, If you can't get a new hose, then just replace it with a metal pipe section in that area. Make it to fit the bend (90 degrees it looks like) and then cut it a bit long so that it fits under the ends of the rubber hose. A couple of band clamps and you're back in business. Personally, I'd replace the whole deal with a metal pipe to give you less expansion in the charge air tract. It wouldn't be too hard to create at all. A couple of 90 degree mandrel bend pipes from www.jcw.com, a few silicone connectors and clamps and you've gotten rid of that problem ever happening again. And you get better throttle response because that rubber pipe isn't flexing outward because you're running 20 psi through it.  8)  :lol:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 09:28:45 PM »
Thats what I just finished doing :D

Fugazi