Author Topic: Headliner Mod  (Read 2881 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Headliner Mod
« on: August 30, 2004, 07:09:34 PM »
Okay, so I think I'm officially off my rocker, but here's my x-post from CB5. Tell that I'm nuts later on k?

You've got be kidding me!! 8O
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Headliner Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 12:16:05 AM »
Ok here is the deal...

In theroy you could do this, BUT this is a situation that you have to weigh the plus and minus.

It would be sooooo much work for you do do it your self that I wouldent do it my self. and in the end you have a screen that you cant see in your peripheral vision.

So just buy a flip out that fits in the dash like mine and be happy that you dident try to remove and cut your head liner.

Wait a min why do you want it up their any ways?
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Headliner Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 12:16:05 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Headliner Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 10:36:21 AM »
Everyone can see it REALLY Well from up there and I won't have to add headrest monitors or an huge, bulky, expensive overhead.
I think the passat is a bit different, 'cause I can see mine just fine while driving out of my peripheral vision.
Besides, right now it's only for video. I'm not going to be watching video while driving now am I?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Headliner Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 12:13:05 PM »
Yo JR..  Crazy Idea.  Dont know what it would look like, but like my bluegolf(almost sad) friend I have an in dash..  It is very nice.  All the bells and whistles.  Also no custom work was needed.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Headliner Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 02:26:47 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
Everyone can see it REALLY Well from up there and I won't have to add headrest monitors or an huge, bulky, expensive overhead.
I think the passat is a bit different, 'cause I can see mine just fine while driving out of my peripheral vision.
Besides, right now it's only for video. I'm not going to be watching video while driving now am I?

Dulley noted. Well than first i would try to find some pics of a B5 with the head liner removed, to see how much clearence you have. It will be a tight fit.

Good luck.

Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Headliner Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 02:45:28 PM »
I really don't think there are any. I've poked around and all sorts for stuff. Nothing. I don't think it's been done yet :sly:

The the main reason why I'm going to take it in to Car Toys tomorrow and have them give me an estimate. 'Cause if it can't be done, they'll tell me fo sho. I just may have them do the screen install anyway if I end up doing it.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Headliner Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 02:52:57 PM »
I have been thinking about this and in retro spect it wouldent be that hard to do... but cuting your headliner is extra scary. then all we would have to do is run the AV cables down thru the A piller and under the dash. If you can find out what is behind the area that you want to work with that would be mui, also do you have a sunroof in your car? I cant rember for some reason.

What are you going to be useing as your video source?
Definately have car toys look at it I would like to know what they want to mount a screen like that.

Greg

Fugazi

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Headliner Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 05:11:17 PM »
Dealing with the headliner alone is a real pain and pretty expensive.  I had mine replaced because of some holes that were caused by the glass installers.  It was shipped in a single piece about 4-1/2 x 8 feet and costed $650 from VW.
I should have taken the cash equivilant and covered the original headliner with Alcantara.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Headliner Mod
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 06:37:46 PM »
Yeah. Headliners are nasty! I'm only hoping I don't have to take it off 'cause it is nasty, you can't bend it and it's one peice icky icky.

That's why I'm curious to see what Car Toys has to say. honestly, the only thing I'm concerened with is actually securing the screen, cutting the headliner and running cables and things I'm not so worried about.

No, I don't have a sunroof which gives me a huge advantage. The video source will be a separate DVD/CD/MP3 unit that I'll probably either mount under my passenger side dash or in the glovebox...maybe under a set, I don't know.

I wanted to mount it vertically in the under the armrest but Quality Sound over on CB5 said it'd be a bad idea 'cause most aren't designed to play like that, but I've found a few. Once again, gonna wait to hear what CT has to say.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Headliner Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 07:20:29 PM »
Yeah. Headliners are nasty! I'm only hoping I don't have to take it off 'cause it is nasty, you can't bend it and it's one peice icky icky.

To do something like this plan on droping at least the front of the head liner. It would be a pain in the ass to try and cut it while its on the roof. And first and fore most you want to find out what is behind where you want to cut. I have the wireing diagrams for MKIV but not B5. Ill look for them and get back to you.

Fugazi

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Headliner Mod
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 07:26:26 PM »
Get a dash mounted unit like Greg.  It is better for you both in cost and grey hair.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
Headliner Mod
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 12:54:34 PM »
Stop discouraging JR from trying something cool.  I know a local shop that can help you make any pieces and provide the advice you really need, they specialize in VW interiors, and I know the owner very well.  Sewfine in Littleton is the place you want to go, they can certainly direct you in the right direction.  I am also willing to help with this; I am pretty good at this type of thing!

www.sewfineproducts.com - Talk with Carol and tell her Jason sent you her way.

Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Headliner Mod
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 12:26:12 PM »
Eh, I ran into issues I need to verify when I had the estimate done.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Headliner Mod
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
Eh, I ran into issues I need to verify when I had the estimate done.

what kind of issues?

Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Headliner Mod
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 01:42:54 PM »
Refer to the above link to my post on CB5...need some verification 'cause what I was told I don't necessarily know for sure.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Headliner Mod
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 01:48:26 PM »
You just totally confused me JR, all thats in that thread is "Pats Head liner mod" ?

Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Headliner Mod
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2004, 02:03:34 PM »
:oops:  hehehe. Sorry, try it again.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner