Author Topic: Intermittent boost....???  (Read 4805 times)

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Intermittent boost....???
« on: August 31, 2004, 01:25:57 AM »
Driving home, I push on the gas......and nothing, just like a regular car....no boost. I found some cracked hoses and replace them, and now the boost comes and goes whenever it wants to. It idles fine, actually really smooth, but my check engine light came on and won't go away. I'm starting to get irritated, does anyone have any suggestions? I thought it might be the N75 going out, don't know. DV is good, when the turbo spools, I can hear the whoosh just fine and all appears good, but after 5 or 10 minutes no more turbo. Tired of driving like a granny, maybe someone with a VAG can help me out. Winston? you free? Anybody?
Look officer, I really do own it......

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 01:41:42 AM »
Do you have a modifyed ECU? Sounds alot like what I had going. I put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in every other tank for about a month, that helped clear up my limp mode issues for the most part, that and I got REVO software installed... that seemed to help too :D

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 01:41:42 AM »

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 02:11:05 AM »
Nope, stock for the most part. CAI, exhaust, and TT DV. Nothing that would cause it to drive like a Metro.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 02:14:51 AM »
Are you POSITIVE you found all the bad hoses and there's not a leak elsewhere?  Do you have a boost guage?  How do you know the DV is good?  How long has it been since you replaced it?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 02:17:10 AM »
Bad MAF might cause intermittent boost. Get vag-com'ed asap. Check error codes and look at block 003 for MAF readings (g/s) and 115 for requested and actual boost (assuming you have 2000 or newer).

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 02:17:55 AM »
Have you ever used fuel system cleaner on the car before? Seriously it was like night and day after I put about 4 bottles thru it. Like I said I just put in one bottle every other tank.

Thats where I would start, I never had a check engine light though. And grab someone with a vag and figure out what that check engine light is from.

Hope this is helpfull.

Greg

Fugazi

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 02:19:48 AM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Are you POSITIVE you found all the bad hoses and there's not a leak elsewhere?  Do you have a boost guage?  How do you know the DV is good?  How long has it been since you replaced it?

If it were just a boost leak the car would run kinda poopy all the time, it wouldent really be intermitent.

If it were the DV it would be makeing all kinds of noticeable noise. Like a dieing goose in your grille.

If you want to try a diffrent DV I have a spare DV off a TT.

Greg

Fugazi

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 02:26:12 AM »
Greg, when my DV was bad it didn't make any noise I could hear.  Also, when my vacuum hoses went south it was only noticable when driving up a mountain fast for a while.  I don't know why that is, but that was my experience.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 02:36:17 AM »
Thats wierd, I stand corrected.
Than again im thinking MKIV and were talking about a B5. My stock DV made horrable noises when the diafram(sp) wasent sealing properly.
When I was haveing problems with boost hoses poping off the intake manifold, the car would run awful almost instantly, but I would see the drop in boost on the guage.
Just my observations.

Greg

Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 10:33:52 AM »
I had intermittant boost when my DV went bad...it didn't really make loud goose noises, but I was surging and it was really annoying.

Steve did tell me the other day that he had a bad DV once and replaced it already. I do have another TT DV unused in the wrapper.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »
I would check things in this order, and most likely one will be the culprit:

1.  Vaccum hoses - Easy to check and cheap to replace
2.  DV - If you can easily push the diaphragm down, it's worn out.  Happens about once a year with a chipped or modded car.
3. MAF - This one is a lot more expensive than the first two, but should do it.  Check a VAG-COM to see if you are getting a MAF related code.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 01:51:17 PM »
Did notice a kind of hollow sound between the transmission shifting. Not really a honking, hard to explain, kind of like blowing through a hollow tube.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 02:03:34 PM »
Would a bad hose or DV cause the MIL light to come on?

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 02:32:44 PM »
Quote from: "Wyaka"
Would a bad hose or DV cause the MIL light to come on?

What is MIL I have never heard of that before? is it like the B5 verson of a CEL?

Vag It.

Greg

Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 02:34:47 PM »
MIL = CEL, CEL = MIL

CEL= Check Engine Light

MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 02:43:16 PM »
Ok but here is a question for you Jay, on the Golf I have a CEL and a little light that looks like an engine with a lightning bolt in it. Is that just a light to signify that the car needs to be brought in for service or something? I always thought that it was the check engine light.

Greg

Sorry to hijack

Fugazi

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 02:50:19 PM »
Same thing Greg. Just like VW calls the trunk a "bootlid", they call the CEL an MIL. B5s have the same symbol (engine w/ bolt through it).

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 03:18:20 PM »
Leave it to Volkswagen to make two lights that do the same thing....
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Fugazi

Freeride

• Lightly Modded
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 03:25:48 PM »
Hey, I have the stock DV from my 20AE before I threw in a 007...  You can have it if ya want...

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N...

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 08:00:50 PM »
Steve, a bad vaccum hose can definitely cause a CEL/MIL...

Don't think that was answered...

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 09:13:15 PM »
Thank you for all of the suggestions, I'll try to figure it out over the next few days.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2004, 10:43:38 PM »
Ok, here is the update. JR, the cool dude that he is, dropped off a new DV, replaced 3 main hoses that were cracked, cleaned MAF again, and changed spark plugs. After all this I disconnected the battery to reset ECU, and get rid of the MIL. Took her for a test drive and raced the pi#@ out it, boost is back, no MIL, but it still sounds like someone is playing a didjeridoo in my front end(best way I can explain it). Anybody have any suggestions on what this could be? I checked pretty thoroughly for leaks, possibly the N75? Also on the same not, does anyone have a VAG that lives near DTC, and is going to be around on Saturday or Sunday? I need to have codes pilled and cleared, and if at all possible program TIP for sport mode.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2004, 12:52:35 AM »
I'll be around this weekend if you want to drive north to Arvada to have the codes cleared.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2004, 02:53:07 AM »
Kinda hard, I work weekends and can't get away for very long. Thanks for the offer though. Winston offered, but won't be back until Monday, I was kind of hoping that I could get it done earlier. But if not Monday it is. Hopefully the MIL is gone, and won't rear its ugly head ever again. Hate that feeling when something breaks and you have no idea what it is or how to fix it.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2004, 12:41:13 PM »
Gietl is the closest to DTC (near DU), but not sure if he's around this weekend. Try to pm him.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2004, 06:24:56 PM »
Quote from: "Wyaka"
Took her for a test drive and raced the pi#@ out it, boost is back, no MIL, but it still sounds like someone is playing a didjeridoo in my front end(best way I can explain it).

Sounds like you may have inadvertantly had a Jamiroquai installed at some point  :P

Seriously though, I have not heard of that.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2004, 02:59:13 AM »
COuld this be from the N75 going out? It sounds like it's coming from around the intercooler, I checked all of the hoses around there and could find nothing other than the fitting at the intercooler to the intake manifold felt kinda loose. At this point I'm just glad boost is back. It really took a long time to stuff that little guy into the intake and then coax him to play, but I'm very happy with the results of a little grease and a 3 pound sledge. The chicks really dig the tunes, but it's kinda hard to dance and make out to.

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2004, 01:22:22 PM »
Update. Installed a VDO boost guage and all is working good with that. Last night I was driving like an idiot, racing an accord, the boost guage spiked at 13, came to a stop at a light and then the car would not push more than 5 psi and felt like it was before, no power. After about 2 miles all was normal, like it never happened, no MIL, nothing. I'm leaning towards a bad valve(maybe PCV, saw a write up on oil plugging it up) or something sticking. Any suggestions?????? I hope I'm getting close to fixing this.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2004, 03:22:57 PM »
Sounds exactly like my car when it would hit limp mode, I cant think of any thing else it would be....

Fugazi

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2004, 01:26:11 PM »
*Update* Bit the bullet and bought a VAG(you can add me to the list), pulled codes last night. WTF does this mean?? I cleared the codes last night and started it up this morning, and it felt like a coilpack was bad. After about 15 seconds it smoothed out and ran perfectly, but these codes came up when I checked it when I got into work. I just replaced the plugs and gapped them to .028, is the gap too small or what? Any thoughts?

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent