Author Topic: Any opinions on AT Italia wheels ?  (Read 3859 times)

Noob_Shum

• Modded
Any opinions on AT Italia wheels ?
« on: May 02, 2003, 03:10:48 AM »
Thinking of ordering some wheels from Tire Rack, AT Italia Flash Sport, and was wondering if anyone has had that brand of wheel, and had any opinions on them ? Thanks for any help.  :)

Jonathan

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 03:47:11 AM »
Jonathan...I don't have any personal experience with AT's...but the wheel you picked looks hot.  Great finish, maybe a little hard to clean...but not much different than most.  Rivits look great...just ask Winston...but can be a drag to clean at times.  I found a link for everyone so if they wanted to check them out and give their opinions.

edit---see jay's post for link and pictures

Let us know what you decide.

jon

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 03:47:11 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 04:25:27 AM »
The link posted above was sessioned...this may work better:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=AT+Italia&wheelModel=Flash+Sport&wheelFinish=Bright+Satin+Sil+Paint

I agree this is a great looking wheel, would look real nice on an S4 ;)

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 05:41:49 AM »
nice wheels....what size are you gonna get? 18's or  19's
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 08:32:54 AM »
Quote from: "gietl"

I agree this is a great looking wheel, would look real nice on an S4 ;)

In the june issue of Car adn Driver the TireRack advertisement has the Car of the Month for 2003 as a 2002 S4 with the 19" AT Italia Flash Sport Wheels...the car is red, but it still looks hot...basically the same as what you are looking for...same car and everything.  When I looked up the specific wheel on www.tirerack.com...and looked at the closeup section...and they had the wheels on a silver Passat B5.5....also looked hot.  I think they are a great choice...especially from the picture Jay was able to link above.

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 12:48:41 PM »
Yes, that was my first choice from what I saw on the site, but they are also on back order and more expensive (ok, not a lot, but still more..). Talking about new tires and then surfing the web and looking at all the great stuff has me itching to get a new set  :wink:

I ordered the AT Italia Flash sports. Just got the 17" wheels since I really didn't mind the way the stock 17"s looked. Plus (again) cost of bigger wheels and tires and possibly slightly harsher ride. Thanks all for the comments, hopefully will get the wheels in the next week or so  :D

Jonathan

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 12:56:58 PM »
SWeet! Can't wait to see the setup when you get 'em!  8)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 06:20:43 PM »
Jonathan, I like those wheels, but I wanted to pass along a caution that I was given when I wanted some Rivas.

Make sure they are not too heavy.  I seem to recall that AT Italia made heavy wheels and in the case of the wheels I originally wanted (AT ITalia Rivas) the metal was prone to dents and going out of round, so I ended up going with another brand...

Check to see what other owners think on some of the bigger forums...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 01:13:08 AM »
Ok, I don't know much about cars at all, but why whould they go out of round ??? Heavy, I can deal with, but going out of round doesn't sound good at all :(

Jonathan

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 02:03:42 AM »
Potholes, Colorado roads.  A more solid wheel should be better off.  My lite ass Borbets are a husge risk of that.  Of course common sense comes into play more than anything else.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2003, 09:23:17 PM »
I've seen those wheels on an S6 Avant and they're pretty hot.  PITA to clean, though.  They look waaaaay better in person than in photos.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2003, 03:07:47 PM »
We installed them yesterday evening. Took my bro 2 hours to get them installed because 2 of the 4 stock Avus wheels were rusted onto the hub. Had to make a trip to AutoZone for some rust spray.

Any way, can I just say the S4 front brakes are huge? I didn't realize how close they came to the spokes of both the stock Avus and now these. The wheels look very nice! The spokes are the dark satin silver finish and the lip is polished. They stick out of the fender wells just a bit. Not sure how the tires did in the rain, but he should be set for Saturday (weather permitting).

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2003, 03:10:00 PM »
Very, VERY cool.  I can't wait to see 'em.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 03:20:52 PM »
I best bring my camera...I gotta see this setup.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2003, 04:17:34 PM »
That is great!  I can't wait to see them either!

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2003, 01:02:47 AM »
I like the way they look :) They do stick out more than the stock Avus wheels did, but not TOO far out.. Tires seem fine so far, but haven't done much driving on them yet! I can say, that the wheel / tire set up is definitely not light weight, didn't weigh them, but not light hehe

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2003, 12:57:35 PM »
Jonathan, they look really good.  I like em!