Author Topic: VoA extends warranty on 1.8T info  (Read 2542 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
VoA extends warranty on 1.8T info
« on: August 14, 2004, 09:49:43 AM »
I received 2 notices in the mail for 1.8T passats, MY 1998-2004 for the 1.8T engine.

I quote:

We are writing to inform you that Volkswagen is providing a warranty extension covering certain "oil sludge" related repairs on 1998-2004 model year Volkswagen Passat equipped with 1.8L Turbo engines.  

soooo....I have 2 copies of the suppliments to offer to people that may not have it, or are the original owners of their cars.  This extends the warranty up to 8 years from the original in-service date without a mileage limitation.  This extended warranty is fully transferable to any subsequent owner.  VW will cover necessary engine repairs if oil "sludge" causes a malfunction in your engine and you can privide documentation of oil changes according to the maintenance schedule for your vehicle.

For those of you who bought your car used, and are not receiving notices from VW...let me know, and i can provide the documentation and paperwork that was sent to me for my 2 past passats.

let me know

cheers
jon

ColoradoMark

• Stock
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 05:13:29 PM »
i thought it was intersting that Mobil1 wasn't on their recommended oil list

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 05:13:29 PM »

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 01:28:16 AM »
The list I received did have Mobile1 but in a 5w-40.  I have yet to see Mobile 1 in a 5w-40 anywhere around here.  

I found it a bit odd the way the letter was written.  They talk of oil sludge causing engine problems and go on to say that is mostly from owner neglect etc but then extend the warranty on the engine.  Something does not jive.  They must know about some problem that they don't want to fully discuss.  I remember having my sticky cam tensioner fixed under warranty and they said it was the result of oil sludge.  This was right after I bought it used on a VW certified warranty so it was not from my neglect.  Engineering flaw?  Not enough oil pumped into the engine to handle the heat?  At least the are recognizing a problem which is unusual for most any car company especially VW.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 02:43:38 PM »
I just got back from vacation and found the letter on my desk.  I was surprised to see it as well.  I wouldnt have expected to see the letter, but am happy.  I find it odd as well.  Its all about owner neglect, but you still have to prove that the oil was changed, which in most cases, remove the fault with the oil sludging.  I dunno, but Im not upset that the warranty on the engine has been extended.

MattyB

• Stock
Re: VoA extends warranty on 1.8T info
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 07:00:29 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
I received 2 notices in the mail for 1.8T passats, MY 1998-2004 for the 1.8T engine.

I quote:

We are writing to inform you that Volkswagen is providing a warranty extension covering certain "oil sludge" related repairs on 1998-2004 model year Volkswagen Passat equipped with 1.8L Turbo engines.  

soooo....I have 2 copies of the suppliments to offer to people that may not have it, or are the original owners of their cars.  This extends the warranty up to 8 years from the original in-service date without a mileage limitation.  This extended warranty is fully transferable to any subsequent owner.  VW will cover necessary engine repairs if oil "sludge" causes a malfunction in your engine and you can privide documentation of oil changes according to the maintenance schedule for your vehicle.

For those of you who bought your car used, and are not receiving notices from VW...let me know, and i can provide the documentation and paperwork that was sent to me for my 2 past passats.

let me know

cheers
jon

Hey Jon!

I know I will probably not see any such notice given the fact that my car's original owner is somewhere in Kansas.  If you still have an extra copy, PM me.   Thanks Mucho.

/Matt

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 07:03:44 PM »
I have it as well, I don;t have the info for the new owners, they obviously did not follow my instructions to contact VW and have them listed as the current owners.

How is Sac? Just think about how close to Tahoe you are!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 08:21:50 PM »
Anyone that has had the oil changed at the dealer KNOWS they do not put synthetic in there, yet all the recomended oil is synthetic.   HHHmmmm

I agree there is not ful disclosure here on the part of VWoA.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

SABigDawg

• n00balicious
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 11:53:39 PM »
So I should be getting this for my 2004?  I have not got anything as of yet though my baby is only 1.5 months old.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 12:42:35 PM »
I could use a copy...my original owner is some business in Texas.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Vanimaniac

• Stock
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 04:23:59 AM »
I read that the dealerships now are using synthetic and larger oil filters standard because of this. At least for Audi, not sure about VW's. They still recommend every 10K but now I'll probably end up doing every 5K  in between and keep receipts of the oil and filter purchased.
here are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 04:32:22 AM »
Well my Audi is evey 8, my passat was every 5.

sediahaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 01:26:21 PM »
what is a good interval to change the oil i do it every 3-4 nad i changed just the oil after track day.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 02:10:20 PM »
That's a good interval 3-4K...but also depending on how you drive. Changing right after track is smart. when you drive harder, the oil needs to be changed sooner.
There's never a "too soon" when it comes to oil changes especially with turbo cars.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner