Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2122 times)

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Hi
« on: September 13, 2004, 05:53:28 PM »
Hi,

My name is Alex, aka AlexNYC on ClubB5.com. I will be relocating to the Vail / Beaver Creek area in few weeks so I didn't think it's appropriate if I created the same nick here.
I wanted to find out if there are any B5 enthusiasts in that area. I also wanted to find out if you know of any good VW shops in that general vicinity. Someone also mentioned that there may be a gas station not too far from there that sells 93 octane gas.

Any help and advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am currently researching "winter tires" as I suspect that my OEM Conties won't do for the upcoming season.

Alex

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Hi
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 06:02:59 PM »
You are probably out of luck for service, most people deal with the inconvenient 2 hr each way drive to have their car serviced in Denver.

Not sure on the 93 Octane, but you will be at such a high elevation it probably wont be worth going out of the way to get it unless it is a special occasion. :)

The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

Now those times you decide to go get it and throw it in...sit back, hold on and hope everyone keeps right.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Hi
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 06:02:59 PM »

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Hi
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 06:24:37 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
You are probably out of luck for service, most people deal with the inconvenient 2 hr each way drive to have their car serviced in Denver.

Not sure on the 93 Octane, but you will be at such a high elevation it probably wont be worth going out of the way to get it unless it is a special occasion. :)

The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

Now those times you decide to go get it and throw it in...sit back, hold on and hope everyone keeps right.

Yeah, but that whole high altitude low octane thing is not quite true for forced induction vehicles. I am spiking up to 21psi and holding steady 17psi and air mass change is much less at altitude. Don't get me wrong I am sure that the ECU will retard the timing to compensate for the lower octane, but I am also sure that I'll loose a few HP in the process.
I do all basic service on my car and I also have a VAG-COM, but I still find it strange that with all the AUDIs I've seen in that area there isn't a local shop that is well-versed in working on VAG vehicles.

Thanks for your reply!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Hi
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 07:46:45 PM »
Vail is two hours west Denver and 1.5 hours to Glenwood Springs (further west), where there's a VW dealership there.  I used to live in Aspen and Carbondale (another 45mins-hour from Glenwood Springs).

Unfortunately the dealership in Glenwood Springs is really bad (I bought my B5.5 and had it serviced there until the warranty ended).  They have a high turnover of staff, and their service department is sloppy and not very profesional in their work and service.  Many people in the mountains make the drive to Denver for servicing.
If you don't have to go to a dealership for servicing I highly suggest Midstate Motors in Old Snowmass (halfway between Aspen and Carbondale), they specialize in servicing German cars.  One of their customers owns a grey market RS4.  They are extremely professional, courteous and thorough, with the latest equipment and computers.  Bill, the owner and mans the desk is awesome (if you go there tell him I sent you, he remembers be by my silver Passat with the europlate).

As far as other club members in the Mountains, there were just myself (now I'm in Denver), and one guy with a W8 wagon in Aspen who disappeared from ClubB5 for almost two years now.  When I was in Aspen I used to make my way to Denver for a couple big GTGs and garage days.
The Denver B5'ers are awesome and always willing to help.

Welcome to the club!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

RobD

• Modded
Hi
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 08:57:17 PM »
As for tires - There is a Meadow Creek Tire in Frisco and they do sell Nokians.  Frisco is just over Vail Pass so 30 minutes or so depending on traffic.

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Hi
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 10:29:52 PM »
Thanks guys ....

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Hi
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 10:57:40 PM »
I will be getting snow-oriented A/S tires in a couple months.  I'm considering ContiExtremeContacts or Nokian WRs.  I've heard great things about both, and I think you can get the WRs with a V-rating.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Hi
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 10:59:17 PM »
Actually, it looks like you can get a W rating also.
http://www.nokiantyres.com/ts_size_en
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

RobD

• Modded
Hi
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 09:45:24 AM »
Pat - I've been looking at both of those and from what I have read the WR's are louder as they wear and also more expensive but have one heck of as a reputation for snow.  The Conti's biggest complaint is the weak sidewall and lack of turning response.  If you opt for the Conti let me know as I might have a guy at discount tire that can hook you up!  
Rob

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Hi
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 10:22:57 AM »
Nice, thanks for the tip!
-Chuck Patterson

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Hi
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 12:06:55 PM »
oh I forgot, I used Blizzaks as my winter set in the mountains and I couldn't be happier -- sticks and brakes better than any SUV on the road in ice and snow.
They use a ton of magnesium cloride on the roads as opposed to salt back in the east.  That stuff is really nasty and a pain to wash off your car (it leaves a dark grey flim of sludge), but you definately need to wash it off periodically because I've heard it will eat into your electrical parts over time and the slimey substance reduces the effectiveness of your brakes.

I agree with Rob, Meadow Creek is a good place to buy tires, great prices.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

B5_Alex

• Lightly Modded
Winter tires.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 12:43:41 PM »
I was actually looking at either Pirelli Winter Carving  

or  Dunlop Winter sport  M3

Has anyone had any experience with either of those? I like the ContiExtreme too but it's more of an all-season tire, and I'll probably get a 17" set for the summer.

Thanks

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Hi
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 12:46:45 PM »
I think the WinterCarving is new, so I haven't heard anything about that.
I've heard several people are very pleased with the M3.  I haven't heard anything negative about it yet.
-Chuck Patterson

RobD

• Modded
Hi
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 01:08:16 PM »
I've heard the Dunlops are noisy.  My experience is that Dunlops tend to be noisy in general.  Last year i put Siemperts on my 15's and they were great.  best part is they were inexpensive compared to the other winter tires.  I think they are on tires.com.  There is info on these tires at Clubb5  as well.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Hi
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 04:09:57 PM »
Hi Alex, welcome to the club.  I can't wait to meet you (assuming you'll come down from the mountains occasionally to visit).

Pesonally, I have only used the Blizzack WS-50's and they are awesome in snow and ice.  I used them for a trip up to Jackson Wyoming (6"-1' snowpack on many roads) and never had any issues.

The only complaint I have about them for 15" wheels is that the sidewall is rather too flexible the first year I used them, making it always feel like the pressure was low on them.  The second year I put them on, they were fine.  Maybe they just needed to cure...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.