Author Topic: Bailey Diverter valve install  (Read 3369 times)

HawkmanA4

• Stock
    • http://vanekh.oasiswellness.com/
Bailey Diverter valve install
« on: May 06, 2003, 02:47:09 AM »
Well today I finaly got all the extras for my soon to be un-stocked 2000 A4. I have installed the ECU with the Garrett chip but am worried about driving it without the diverter valve. I can't find the thing!!!! Does anyone know how best to access it for replacement? I also have a question about the ECU. Does it need to be disconected for a certain amount of time? I have read both that it dumps info as soon as it is unhooked, and that it takes 15 min. to dump all of the old habits :wink: ? Which is it? What is the best way to do this?

By the way Jon and I had a mini-mini garage day to put on my Brembo slotted roters and pads in the front :lol: and I must say we are better than any shop that was going to charge $555.00 THANK YOU JON!!

Getting ready for saturday's drive!!
00 A4 1.8TQMS- FOR SALE
'04 A4 Avant 1.8TQM Ultra Sprot
Hawk Vanek
HawkInvestmentRealty@comcast.net
www.SoarWithHawk.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 02:52:59 AM »
Once the ECU is disconnected from the battery it basically is reset.  

As for how driving habit are erased, just turn your key to the on position and listen for a click.  usually occurs in 10 - 30 seconds.  Then your car is ready to relearn. If you open the hood prior to doing this it makes it easier to hear.

Congrats on the new stuff.  As for the DV, unless the old one is bad, you are fine driving around on it.  Worst case it c\fails and you lose a little power until you replace it.  Not to big of a deal.

Glad to hear the brake install went well.  Look froward to driving with ya this weekend if you can make it.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 02:52:59 AM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 04:50:57 AM »
No problem Hawk...it was good to do, I learned a lot in a short amount of time.  Make sure set those brakes well before the Drive on Saturday....

did the chip increase your power?  I am wondering how it changed for you.  Let us know.

jon

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 01:37:56 PM »
Regarding your chipped ecu, I would do the following (borrowed from APRs ecu removal/installation documents):
1. Turn engine off.
2. Remove stock ecu.
3. Install chipped ecu.
4. Open driver side door.
5. Turn ignition key to ON (accessory) position. Do not start the car!
6. Leave key in and door open for atleast 3 minutes.
      "This will allow the ECU to relearn the relative throttle positions and
prevent possible error codes."

7. After 3 minutes, close driver side door, start car, and enjoy your new power!
If you're worried about any codes, maybe Mike or Chas can bring their vagcom to the drive and can scan/clear them, even do a throttle body alignment (different than the ecu learning throttle positions).

Regarding your dv, it's located underneath your turbo and behind the passenger side foglamp. So you'll have to remove the belly pan and get underneath your car to install your new dv. I would definitely drive w/ the chipped ecu and stock dv. No worries.

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 02:51:41 AM »
the diverter valve is NOT easy to get to in the  b5 engine bay.....
easy work mechanically 2 clamps and a hose clip, but very hard to reach!
i just did it and it was a PITA!
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 12:46:14 PM »
I agree, I'd like to move mine elsewhere just so it isn't such a PITA to clean, replace, whatever!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.