Author Topic: Secret Handshake?  (Read 2690 times)

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Secret Handshake?
« on: October 13, 2004, 11:22:56 AM »
I guess it is time for the traditional "NooB" introduction post.

I have been a gear head at some level all my life and owned a bit of everything.

My last real "sports car" was a few years ago. I have mainly been playing with my Jeep for the last couple of year. I actually write for an online e-zine called "Rockcrawler.com"

I decided I needed a "commuter car"  :wink:  so I went out and bought a 2000 Audi S4.  :D (also thought I might auto-X it)

In the Jeepin' world we all wave to each other driving down the street. It is pretty easy to tell who is "in the club" and who is most likely not" just by the big tires.

I have found myself waving to people from my girls VR6 GTI and they look at my like "do I know you?".

So the real point of all this rambling is A) an introduction B) if you see a guy in a Black S4 waving at you please wave back(I will probably wave at Jeeps and motorcycles out of habit too) and C) How do you distinguish the "closet enthusiats" out there. You know, the ones with $10,000 under the hood but disguised under a stock exterior?

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 11:51:16 AM »
I wave at people to.  HA!  I was driving to Oklahoma this last weekend and passed a Jetta three times and waved.  The second time I thought he was flipping me off.  Turns out he was flashing a peace sign.  <phew>  Welcome.  :)
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Secret Handshake?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 11:51:16 AM »

shummer

• Modded
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:45:40 PM »
Welcome Cole. Are you in the condos just north of Kipling and C-470? I've gotten a few rare waves from one Audi owner and one VW owner that were not part of this forum. I'll keep an eye out for you though since your car looks easily distinguishable over other S4s.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 01:18:44 PM »
Welcome Cole!

My first true love is my 1977 Scout II, you wouldn't believe how many times I wave at scouts from my old Passat, my A6 and even when I'm on foot.

I willl admit the strange looks are priceless.

You picked up a great car. You will also be amazed how many folks really have no clue what they are driving out there.  I often try to get the attension of another Audi owner, or a VW ownwer with a sweet ride, but most of the time I'm ignored or given the crazy stare.

Hopefully we'll get to meet ya soon and check out the new ride.

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 01:28:32 PM »
VW and Audi drivers as a whole seem fickle to me. Of course, the sheer number of VW/Audi drivers out there kinda makes it that way.

In the Porsche, anyone not driving a Boxster or 996+ will flash their lights at me and wave a hand. There's a very defininate community feel between Porsche Drivers.

Same thing on the bike, sept the group that won't usually drop a hand are people on cruisers. *whatever* I've never understood or gone for that "us against them" attitude, I wave anyway. Almost everyone on rockets waves tho.

Seems like the only time someone in a VW waves at me is when I'm driving with my foot burried on the highway and they feel like playing. So, it's kinda the same, just takes more work to get a VW driver to do the same things. :)

Welcome to the group, I'll wave!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Cole

• Heavily Modded
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 01:53:21 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!! :D

Now that I think about it I rember lots of waves from Porsche guys bach when I had them.

The S4 has a few toys on it already (Giac-X chip, Brullen exhaust, K&N, Springs, Boost gauge, and probably some other things I have not found yet)

Bought the car in D.C. and drove it home a few weeks ago.  I slammed the throttle to the floor at 80mph in Penn and got 4 wheel spin out of it.  I almost feel like it is slow now at 5,000 feet because it was so fast at sea level.

(BTW, I got stopped 3 times in Kansas on the way home 8O , opps!)

I thought when we got home that our VR6 GTI would feel like a slug. I have actually found that teh GTI is not such the slug and just as much fun to drive, just different.

The Jeep on the other hand is a slug :D  But that is to be expected. (and I have a 4.7L stroker sitting in the garage for it :wink: )

I look forward to meeting some of you guys. If you see me on the street please come up and say hi. If anyone wants to go to lunch or coffee please let me know. I would love to go talk about these cars and learn more about them and meet some new friends.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 02:09:09 PM »
We're doing a little GTG tomorrow at the Wynkoop Brewery downtown around 7:00.
http://www.rmcb5.com/ftopict-1673.html

Avalon Motorsports is doing their grand opening this weekend on Saturday I believe and some of us will be there.

The Oct 20th there is another small garage day.
http://www.rmcb5.com/ftopict-1648.html

Check out the GTG/Garage Days forum for the latest!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

sediahaka

• Lightly Modded
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 07:40:38 PM »
welcome.  both your vehicles are awesome.  i'm about to get a 67 commando so i'll have to come to you for ideas on what kind of lift kit and stuff i need to get.  first thing is rhino lining the interior.  hope to see you at some gtg's.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 08:40:21 PM »
Sorry I couldn't welcome you sooner!
Welcome and I'll wave...my dad's a Porsche, Harley, and part-time Trucker so I grew up waving at everybody ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Cole

• Heavily Modded
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 08:48:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  My Jeep is Rhino Lined inside. They also did a "bra" and bumpers, fender flares etc on it.

There is a whole article on it  Here.http://rockcrawler.com/techreports/rhino_tj/index.asp

I look forward to meeting you guys and learning more about these cars.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

gragravar

• Supercar
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 01:01:57 PM »
Quote from: "34k"

Same thing on the bike, sept the group that won't usually drop a hand are people on cruisers. *whatever* I've never understood or gone for that "us against them" attitude, I wave anyway. Almost everyone on rockets waves tho.
Welcome to the group, I'll wave!

that's the nice thing about the BMW.  It is the perfect middleground bike.  You get waves from the sportbike guys, and the cruisers too - and of course the GW guys always wave.

I try to wave if I see you guys around.  But generally the allroad crowd isn't wave friendly.  too many soccer moms that just look at you funny.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 01:10:49 PM »
Dood, I have a 79 Hondamatic and everyone waves. :)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Secret Handshake?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 01:47:32 PM »
I just saw this thread.  Sweet cars!

Nice to see you visit our site.  I hope you have a chance to meet a number of the folks here.  Everyone is really cool and not affraid to lend a hand or answer a question.

P.S. By the way, I will be the one you meet today for lunch and the VAG hook-up.  Catch you later!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!