Author Topic: Pray for my B5...she's going under the knife  (Read 1896 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Pray for my B5...she's going under the knife
« on: May 07, 2003, 06:35:54 PM »
Taking her in for a little checkup tommorrow, 30K to be exact, I am also going to have them fix the same freakin coolant leak (3rd or 4th time now) and look into my boost issues.

I am a little nervous, but the service guy was a little oncerned about my turbo.  Mainly because of the continual leak I am getting.

So I'm going to drop her off tonight at Mtn States (since they know about the coolant leak from the previous repairs).  Hopefully she'll be back in time and her ol' chipper (no pun intended) self for the Sat drive.  Otherwise I'm riding with one of you honkeys.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 07:14:22 PM »
You can still ride w/ me even though I'm not a honkey. Although, I might have my honkey wife and 1/2 honkey baby with so nevermind.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 07:14:22 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 11:14:51 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your B5 :)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 05:33:48 PM »
Well the doc just called and she is good.  She pulled thorugh strong and should be back to her old self.  After a transfussion and an o-ring replacement in the coolant pipe at the turbo she is ready to go.

I will be walking out of there just under $100 for 30K maintenance.  I can't really complain.  They covered the O-ring under warranty, thank goodness, this is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened.

Over the phone Jason (Mtn States) explained that because the O-ring had blew that the pressure wasn't sealing for the coolant which translated into useless turbo.

When I pick it up I'll try and get a better explanation.  I guess I can see why there was a jeckyll and hyde in my turbo.  When it was cold and the coolant harneded on the outside it would create a good seal and the turbo would work, laggy, but it would work.  Then, when it was hot, that stuff would break off or liquify as more hot coolant tried escaping.  Thereby eliminating the seal and saying so long to any sort of turbo usage.

I inquired about this being the 3rd or 4th time for me and Jason mentioned that this is something he hasn't seen occur this many times.  Once or twice yeah, but anything beyond that is strange.

Luckily each time the leak is really minor, so there is no real danger of the car overheating or anything like that.

Now I can't wait to get in and drive.  I sure hope I get pegged into my seat ;).

Also, I am even more excited about Saturday, lets hope the weather holds out, looks like it could be crummy :(.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 07:15:25 PM »
That is definitely some good news.  As someone that has had turbo problems, I certainly feel your pain.

Engineers call the turbo the closest thing to a free lunch that you can get in engineering terms, but you do pay for some of that lunch with a more complex system that is more point at which to break down.  And there are a lot of places that are potential Achilles' heels where this is concerned.  

I'm glad it worked out!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 09:30:10 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
That is definitely some good news.  As someone that has had turbo problems, I certainly feel your pain.

Engineers call the turbo the closest thing to a free lunch that you can get in engineering terms, but you do pay for some of that lunch with a more complex system that is more point at which to break down.  And there are a lot of places that are potential Achilles' heels where this is concerned.  

I'm glad it worked out!

Good to hear, Heavy G.  What a relief.  and $100 is nothing compared to what it could've been.  Saturday should be much more fun for you now.  I just hope I don't get embarrassed by your freshly-primped car.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 03:58:01 PM »
Jay,

Regarding your coolant leak, I was just notified that I have a coolant leak coming from a hose connected to the turbo. Dealer said it wasn't covered under the powertrain warranty because it is "external". It cools the turbo, but not part of the turbo per se. Any luck to get this done under the powertrain warranty?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 04:04:47 PM »
Sounds lik e the same problem I have had.  The first time this happened to me I was still in my 2y/24K B2B warranty.  The nest time was just over a year from the firts fix and they replaced it as a "good faith" warranty since it was obvioulsy the same issue in the same spot where they did the work.  Now it just occurs quickly and gets done under the parts and labor warranty.

I would copnsider it power train, it is very evident that there is somehting faulty with the o-ring gasgkets they are using. I'd like to take a peek at your car to see where it is.  All in all if they do charge you to replace the gasket it shouldn't be too horrible...I think.  I mean you could probably do it, the engine has to be cold but you can easily reach thespot that I have had the problems.

Also, since your turbo was replaced and they most likely had to refit that piece wouldn't that be covered under the warranty from the new turbo?  Might be something to poke at.

I'll be home around 6 this evening (gotta help Luis drop his Jetta off again, CELs in the morning) if you want to swing by otherwise I'll take the picture I promised people on CB5 tonight (since it's nice out) and e-mail you where my problem was.