Author Topic: DV Relocation... Finally! And am I happy!!!  (Read 1731 times)

Chas

• Modded
DV Relocation... Finally! And am I happy!!!
« on: September 28, 2004, 06:13:37 PM »
So I finally got around to doing this to my car. I've had the parts on hand for about 3 months, but never had the time. So yesterday was a big day for my car.

First I changed the oil and filter for the Auto-Rx desludging additive.

Second, while the car was up in the air I also finshed my latest design on my DTSL C-Bar. The tranny is really locked down now! I think I'm close to a finalized design. A few more tests and I'll start to offer them if all goes well on my other test mule car! It's really neat!  :)

And finally, while the belly pan was down I decided to do the DV relocation.  As it tuned out it took me a bit longer to finish it than I thought. I was just trying not to destroy any on the stock parts so that in case I wanted to return the DV to it's former location I could so easily. All went well and fit together nicely. No leaks or anything.

The parts needed all came from www.forgemotorsport.com  
They sell the 2" inline "T" piece for $30 and the plug for the rubber hose where the DV was originally for $17. A three foot section of one inch rubber hose and a few clamps and you're all good!

As for the results of this relocation: better response from the engine. The down time inbetween shifts is much less noticible. Meaning that the IC doesn't have to be refilled before manifold pressure is back up. The results are very obvious when you watch the boost gauge. It's smooth and powerful. No real down side to this. Also, now I don't have to crawl under my car to service the DV. I use a Forge DV and it needs to be cleaned and relubed from time to time. It's way too easy to do that now. And on top of all that, it stays much, much cooler. So the seals on the inside are going to deteriorate as fast and the spring rate stays more constant. That and it looks cool there. It's much too pretty of a part to be buried under the turbo and front bumper.  :wink:  :roll:

I like it!  :thumbup:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 06:17:34 PM »
The list of stuff you'll need to do this here:

1) One three foot section of 1" ID rubber hose. Silicone is best really, but more expensive. You won't use all of the 3 ft. section on the cross over hose, but you will trim off about 8 inches of it and use that on the T pipe to the bottom of the DV. Cost, $3.66

2) Four new 1" to 1 1/4" hose clamps. You might be able to reuse some of the ones already on your DV, but if you've never replaced it you'll need new ones. Besides, they just look nicer to put new ones on.  Cost, less than $3

3) Two or three new 2" to 2 1/4" hose clamps. These are for the rubber hoses that connect to either side of the new T piece. I also like to always get one extra. You never know when you'll snap an old one of those. Cost, less than $4

4) One male to male 1" OD pipe interconnector. This can be had in the lawn care aisle at your hardware store. It's a pretty common part to have on hand. Cost, $1.25

5) Two or three zip ties to hold all the rubber hoses away from the fan blade they pass right by in the front. Cost, maybe $2 for a small package of them.

6) One 50mm (2") OD "T" pipe from Forge. Cost, $30.

7) One of the Forge Blanking Plugs to fill thew hole left by the DV in the turbo output hose. Cost, $17.

It's not all that hard to do really. You'll just need to get the "l" piece of plactic out of the airbox to turbo hose so that the male to male plastice interconnector can go in it's place. Other than that, it's easy.

A direct link to the forge site for the "T" pipe is here:

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/products.asp?cat=tun&product=FMTP052B

Look on that same page for the blanking plug.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 06:17:34 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 06:19:53 PM »
Nice Chas! That was the one thing I really hated about the Passat, the location of the DV.  I've been spoiled with the Audi having up top front and almost center.  Of course having two to deal with is a pain.

Once I get some free time I'd like to add this write up on the DV relocation to our soon to be opened Technical Forums.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 06:23:13 PM »
That's cool. I just wish I could see the shots :( BTW: Where can I pick up the desludging additive. I'm gonna change my oil VERY soon and this would be a good thing to additive :)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 06:23:37 PM »
It's not really a "How To" write up, but sure. I'd love to contribute something to that base of knowledge. I guess I could re-do it so that it is a "How To."   :D
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 06:26:28 PM »
JR, look at www.auto-rx.com

You'll want to use it with regular Dino oil as opposed to Synth. It works better in Dino. Besides, you are going to be changing your oil about three times in the next month or so using this stuff. You don't want to waste all that good and expensive Synth oil on this flush of your oil system.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 07:43:48 PM »
I might be in the market for this one.  Way to go Chas!!!!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065