Author Topic: Another DIY Front Mounted Intercooler  (Read 3713 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Another DIY Front Mounted Intercooler
« on: September 21, 2004, 03:10:22 PM »
Yo... Thanks to Chas and Rusty (Rusty has helped me a whole helluva lot with this) for setting the path to get this done.

First of all, I went on a quest to look for a cheaper intercooler core and was sent a link to www.streetimports.com which specializes in RICE parts for Honda's and Acuras.  I was amazed when I found an affordable intercooler core with the dimensions of 18x9x2, which is less then 1" taller then the unit that Chas and Rusty got.  The dimensions length-wise is 26" iirc and has nicely polished end tanks.  Pipes are 2.5" but a nice reducer from 2.5"-2" from Hose Techniques has fixed that issue.

All together so far, I've spent $400.57, and that includes 1 extra silicone hose, 1 extra 45degree bend, and 1 extra 90 degree bend pipes.  That price includes shipping as well.

If you are in the market for a cheap, effective, low budget FMIC, this is the way to do.  Below are prices, websites, part #'s, etc from the different vendors I've used so far.  BTW, I already had some nice T-bolt hose clamps so that has cut my cost down by about $60.  I did however order 2 new clamps from Hose Techniques fr $6 each for the 2.5-2.0" hose from the core.

18x9x2 Core www.streetimports.com $199.00, $40 shipping
45Degree pipe www.jcw.com ZX812928B 3X 6.99
90Degree pipe www.jcw.com ZX812949Y 2X 7.99
JWC Shipping 16.98
3"x2" ID Red Silicone www.hosetechniques.com 50200-03G-300 3X 8.00
3" 2.5-2" ID Transition www.hosetechniques.com 54200-250-03G-3 2X 19.75
2.5" Stainless Steel T-bolt clamp w.hosetechniques.com 60292-33 2x 6.50
Hose Techniques Shipping 8.16

All together that is $377.59 but keep in mind I ordered 1 extra 3x2" hose, 45 degree pipe, and 90 degree pipe just to be sure I dont make any mistakes.

Once the parts come in I will be sure to post my pictures and install process.

Steve

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 03:13:23 PM »
Nice Steve! Keep us posted.  Sounds like a good setup.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 03:13:23 PM »

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 03:46:15 PM »
Wooohooo, Just got an email back from Street Imports... the core was shipped out and will be here Friday.  :D

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 05:37:09 PM »
hmmm.  sounds like a good weekend project.  :)
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 12:55:53 PM »
The pot has just gotten sweeter.  The package is ahead of schedule by a full day and will be here tomorrow.  Fab work begins then.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 01:42:13 PM »
Steve, that's awesome!  I may have to go this route sometime soon myself, as I am tired of heatsoak, but can't afford the big bill FMICs...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 04:39:51 PM »
I hear ya.  I honestly didnt want to take the time to build my own unit.  I must say though that it has been most satisfying to know that I can find all of the needed parts cheaper somewhere else.  Chas and Rusty used a $400 core with the same basic dimensions that I've found, only difference.. the inlet/outlet pipes are .5" bigger on my core.

I didn't want to spend the 1000-1200 for a nice Evo unit.  Even a used kit is expensive.  Both Rusty and Chas gave me the confidence to get up and do it on my own.  Granted, it will take a little more time, but to reep the rewards of a savings of upwards 800 bones, I'm more then happy to do it.

Steve

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 05:21:02 PM »
Definitely!  For $1000, a FMIC would be safely out of my range, but for $400 that is something I can begin considering.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 12:22:34 AM »
Steve thanks so much for posting that info. It will get saved to an info thread somewhere...I will definately NOT have mine done as soon as you do, but it WILL be in by next driving season. It's cold here in the winter anyway :)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 12:24:01 PM »
Sounds good... Even if its colder outside, having a nice FMIC wouldnt hurt.

Im going to an event up on Deals Gap (Dragons Tail) in Tenn in October and would like to see how well the car does with the mods.  It has like hundreds of turns in 11 miles so it should be a nice slow paced time to see how well the syspension and other mods handle.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 12:52:29 PM »
That'd be great. When you get done with the event...you should write up a review on your FMIC...I know I'd like to know.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 03:49:51 PM »
Rusty was supposed to be doing an installation write up but he has yet to fully post it all up yet.  I dunno whats taking him so long.

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 07:42:55 PM »
That's great Steve! I'm glad I was of some use to someone! :rolleyes:

Thge install is actually very easy. It's a matter of have the confidence to just get in there and do it. The idea is straight forward. All you are doing is re-routing the charge air through a larger core.

First you mount the new IC either to the back of the bumper bar or to mounts coming off of the radiator carrier. I have always choosen to mount off of the bumper bar as that is easier. Though it does push the IC into a more forward posture. That has it's pros and cons. But it it is easier that way.

Next, all you have to do is start making the connections from the turbo outlet hose to the input side of the IC then more over to the output side of the cooler and on up to the intake rubber hose.

Now this is very simple instructions for an AEB engined Passat. The later cars (MY2000 and on) have boost pressure sensors that need to accounted for. If you have an AEB, then it's real simple. But even if you don't have an AEB engine and wanted to do this it is possible. Dave (StarlightB5) is doing just this. The bung for the sensor, I think, could be easily reproduced with a little effort.

Good luck and happy cooling!!!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 08:03:10 PM »
So there's obviously a significant cost benefit of a DIY FMIC. Are there any drawbacks aside from having to do some fab and fitting work?

What are the benefits of the complete systems? I'm assuming that they would be more of a bolt on install since the kits would come with plumbing, etc.

Performance wise, is there a difference if the core is roughly the same size for both?

FMIC is in my list of upgrades for sure, albeit after my body kit since I don't think there's room in my OEM bumper, so this option is highly intriguing to me.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 02:58:11 AM »
Thanks alot guys.

Chas, you did help pave the way, so thanks.  I do have an AEB, and this is another reason for me doing this on my own.  Less things to mess with, and less complicated IMO.

I personally dont think that there are any drawbacks about doing this on your own.  Yes it may take some time to get it the way you want, but any "bolt on" kit isnt always going to bolt right up.  Why pay 3x more then you can get it down on your own at a 1/3 or less of the price of someone else?  There is added costs, such as getting the pipes flanged and painted/powdercoated to prevent rust.  I personally am going to have mine powdercoated.  Yes, it may hold/retain some heat but it will be minimal.  Im thinking a nice glossy black would accent the red hoses nicely.  Stainless steel clamps would be an added bonus.

I should be getting my pipes in tomorrow, 9/24 but will need to wait for the silicone connections to arrive from Cali.  I got the intercooler core this afternoon.  Took less then a week to get it all the way from Canada.  Six days from the time of order, until I recieved it.  Great and fast service.  One gripe is that the brackets that came on the core are on the bottom.  Those will need to be trimmed off and rewelded to the top so the hoses and lines line up better.  Here are some pictures below.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 12:08:42 PM »
That's looks great! My wife has been proFMIC for now so that's a good sign!
Get's some installed pics soon!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 02:15:51 PM »
Will do.  I'm going to call a radiator shop on my lunch break and see if they can relocate the brackets to the bottom of the core.  Best thing about the place where I work?  There is a powdercoater, AND a radiator shop right behind my building.  :D

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 02:37:57 PM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"
Best thing about the place where I work?  There is a powdercoater, AND a radiator shop right behind my building.  :D

That's just cool 8)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 01:21:08 AM »
Well, the radiator shop couldnt weld aluminum.  WTH... so I have to wait until Monday and see if I can drop the core somewhere to have them relocate the mounting tabs.

New pictures have been posted above.