Author Topic: Gauge Ring Installation, Floor Mats, Crappy Pics  (Read 1555 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Gauge Ring Installation, Floor Mats, Crappy Pics
« on: September 23, 2004, 12:33:25 AM »
This'll be short for now as I'm going to get my pics developed and do a write-up. But:

Gauge Ring Install It is WAY easy. It'll only take maybe an hour or two. And you DON'T have to remove your steering wheel. :D (thanks Chas).

On other mod notes, I put in my Touraeg flashlight. Be sure to change the fuse from 15 to 20amp otherwise you'll blow it :oops:

Floor mats, I got free ones from coveredbytheblood (thanks!). They're MKIII rubbers I think and we're NOT set to work with our mat snaps. I modded them, pulled the snaps out of the carpet mats, aligned and cut holes in the rubber mats, installed snaps and VWA LA! I have properly fitting old school, but very cool VW Monsters :D

As I've said, I've got pics of all this and will post them.

Also, I succeeded in breaking a plastic piece to attach my airbag to steering wheel (fixed-but with a few moments of sheer terror), broke the plastic peice that holds the spring to my clear corner (also fixed) and put blue condomed fuse lights in place of my white license plate lights. I now have color matched (e-green) plate lighting. :D

I was also going to get the EVOStyling Chromed turn signal bulbs for the GB on CB5, but opted for a set of SilverStar bulbs instead (cheaper) and they look way cool. The have a blue/silverish tint to them but light up a nice dark amber...very cool. Now I have both filaments working too :wink:

Oh yeah, and I got crap all on the inside of my clear gauge cover that wasn't there when I put it all back together...I think it's glue :evil:  :?  :x

'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 12:36:03 PM »
Sounds like fun.  Glad the mats worked out for you.  Looking forward to joining you on a garage day, or drive.  PEACE!
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 12:36:03 PM »

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 02:08:41 PM »
you had no problems installing your guage rings?!

I attempted at taking the guage cluster out, which involves removing the part that surrounds the steering wheel column, but it's different than on Andrew's (34k) GTI where it has a few extra torx screws buried further in the dash.
I snapped and cracked two screw tabs trying to yank it off (and cutting my hands in the process), not knowing there are more screws to remove.

We're planning (34k and kraut-sled) a guage mod day eventually -- I'm not quite satisfied with my white face guages and will be getting a replacement set soon.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 02:38:42 PM »
Yeah, on the B5's it's a snap.
There were some instructions at one time on CB5 to do it without removing your steering wheel, but neither Chas nor I could locate them.
But Chas remembered.
And like I said, I'm gonna do a write up as soon as I get my photos developed and have Jay put it up in the Tech Forum. So we have it.
The Bentley shows a whole bunch of crap that you don't need to do. It makes it a LITTLE bit easier, but definately not worth the effort.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 03:06:58 PM »
Crappy pics added

You can see the swapped door panel as well.
I've since added aluminum pedals.
One day I'll get high res pics up all nice and glossy so you can actually see shiznit :roll:

More photos HERE
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner