Author Topic: Canton Oil Catch Can Install - pics  (Read 3632 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Canton Oil Catch Can Install - pics
« on: September 24, 2004, 11:20:21 AM »
This weekend I plan on installing my newly aquired Canton oil catch can.  This will help to keep some of the oil backlash out of the intercooler during high boost conditions.  During WOT, and you let off of the throttle suddenly, the evap and crank case ventilation system can pop small amounts of oil down into the intake.  It then sits at the bottom of the intercooler core and creates residue on the throttle body plate, and can decrease your fuel octane rating.

Installing this should keep the octane at its correct level coming out of the pump and should help keep the throttle body clean along with the injectors and intake runners.  I polished the can up and repainted the pipe coming from the back of the engine block.  

Steve

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 01:33:51 AM »
pic fixed... enjoy.

I'm planning on installing this tomorrow and then hopefully next weekend get the fmic and smoc installed.

Steve

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 01:33:51 AM »

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 03:15:48 AM »
Cool Steve! ill be intristed to see the pics of it installed and how you did it. Would you mind me asking how much a set up like that costs?
I was wondering why thier was a good coating of oil in my lower intercooler pipe, now I know.

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 03:42:19 AM »
Nice Steve, I should look into something like this for the ol A6, the 2.7Ts are notorious for getting gunked up TBs.

Definitley give us a nice writeup on part numbers and so forth, I think if it proves ot be effective in both cost and enging longevity this may be a popular mod.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 04:23:30 PM »
Greg, it all depends on what parts you go with and how over the top you want to go with something like this.  www.summitracing.com has stuff for sale and www.jegs.com has a nice can as well.  The Jegs can is a high temp plastic and it can be used as an inline can where the air goes in, and returns back into the intake.  This can is oneway so it will save on space a little.  The space is limited but I should be able to find a spot today to do it.

Jay, catch cans have been around for many years and alot of the domestic (Chevy/Ford) guys use them in their race cars for track use.  In most cases, its required to have some type of catch system so it doesnt leave any residue on the tracks.  In the long run I understand that it will help keep the turbos in good condition.  The way that the EGR and EVAP system is worked, it puts all of the "waste" before the turbo, coating the fins with all kinds of stuff.  Lowers your fuel octane rating with the higher amounts of oil in the air charge.  I will keep you posted on what all I find out.

I dont have part numbers thought because I bought this unit uesd from another member on clubb5, hvydrnkr23.  I polished the can up myself to add a little bling but everything else was all his doing.

Steve

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 10:24:06 PM »
Steve, you are truly a madman.  Are there any stock parts left on your car?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 01:50:32 AM »
I will take that as a compliment.  There are plenty of stock parts left and they continue to age poorly, which is one reason to all of my mods.

I got the can installed today/tonight.  Wasnt as easy as I thought.  I will divulge more info on it tomorrow.  Here are a few pictures of the install.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 10:41:51 AM »
Sweet.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 11:05:24 AM »
Thanks man... cant wait until the other stuff comes in.