Author Topic: Interior Lighting Replacement.  (Read 1756 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Interior Lighting Replacement.
« on: September 24, 2004, 12:40:33 PM »
PLEASE READ TECHNICAL DISCLAIMER BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the rest of my interior LED lights yesterday. So I proceeded to replace the big dome, rear passenger and door puddle lights in blue and the mirror/visor lights in white.

Everything was running like clockwork until I got the last light, the driver side door puddle light. On the passenger door, I used a small screwdriver to get in behind the light and pop it out 'cause I couldn't grab it and I attempted the same thing on the driver side door.

I pulled the light and my car started going crazy. My relay behind the dash started clicking really loudly, all the interior lights started blinking rapidly and my car wouldn't start.  8O

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If this happens, you've shorted out the electrical in the area your working on and blown a fuse. Don't freak out. Both Chas and I freaked out (when he did it up in Breck). That's not necessary. What is necessary is the following:

Pull driverside dash fuse panel cover.

Pull fuse panel card and look for 4 fuses with icons that represent door door locks/dome lighting/windows/car with a bolt through it. There are 4 of these I believe in different combinations of the above icons.

Replace fuse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the way to PREVENT this from happening is to do one or more of the following:

Disconnect negative battery cable (make sure you have radio code)

Remove related light assembly from wiring harness

Pull all fuses related to the electrical replacement.

Now you can celebrate the fact that you didn't kill your before a date with your wife at a concert and you can enjoy either your new LED interior lighting or your regular, now working lighting. I recommend LED's though...way cool.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 03:08:56 AM »
Jay I replaced my sunroof control lights with LED and they kick butt, but where did you get your rear passenger and puddle light LEDs from?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 03:08:56 AM »