Author Topic: October 2004 - Gregory A. Harmon  (Read 3616 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
October 2004 - Gregory A. Harmon
« on: October 01, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »

My first car was a 1995 Saturn SC2. It was a fantastic car to drive, not fast in any way shape or form but it got me where I needed to go. The car wasn’t perfect by any means, it burned oil, the tranny would grind going into first gear, and the paint was looking worse by the day. Long story short, the car burned oil faster than I thought it did, and one snowy day in December it all came to a grinding halt. The connecting rods on cylinders one and three were shot through the side of the block and that was the end of that.

Being that I was 17 and had no means of financing a car I was forced to ask my parents for help. They were surprisingly receptive to my needs seeing as how I just blew up their Saturn. They agreed to help me finance a car but I had to save up the money for a down payment. May of the next year rolls around and I finally have the money to put a down payment on a loan. Now the search for a new car begins, I couldn’t afford a large monthly payment still being in high school and only working part time so my new car had to be cheap.

The car I decided on wasn’t a car at all it was a big ugly brown Jeep Wrangler. It was a 1987 -- the first year of the Wrangler. It had 31 inch tires, a 4 inch lift, a roof rack with lights, quick disconnect sway links, ARB air lockers, a Warn winch and a host of other goodies. I was in love at first sight, all I could think of was how much trouble could I get into in this thing. And I was right, a 17 year old kid that had never driven a lifted 4x4 before was just asking for trouble. I sank it up to the doors in a pond, tipped it on its side on numerous occasions screwing around in the maze of trails off of Gold Camp. Owning an 87 Wrangler gave me a much grater appreciation for how delicate automobiles actually are. Something was always broken on that thing, to the point that I was tired of dealing with it. I had shelled out somewhere around 3 grand in repairs in the first year of owning it. So the Jeep was sold. To this day one of the biggest regrets of my life, I should have just sucked it up and kept fixing it.

The next vehicle in line was a 1999 Chevy S-10 pickup. In retrospect, the only reason that I bought it was it was cheap and it was already lowered. Not much to tell about this one. Drove it for a year and the tranny started to go out. Mechanic quoted me a couple thousand to fix it so I traded it in on my current car a 2000 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T. It has proved to be an excellent car so far, but only time will tell.

I have to send out some past due thanks as well. First and fore most to my parents for putting up with all my bull shit no matter what was going on and for always picking me up when I fell on my face. Second to all of you in the club that pointed me in the right direction with this car and for being good friends in general. Last but not least to all my friends here in the springs that helped me put in countless hours of wrench time on this car, you guys know who you are.

Here is what the dub is currently sportin (I know you all are skipping to this part  )

Outside:
Debaged Rear End
Platinum window tint (legal)
Wolfsburg Temp tag

Under The Hood:
Forge 007 DV
A shaved stock air box.(As Andy pointed out it cools better)
REVO 3bar program (spike at 21 psi and hold at 17psi)
Samco Boost Hose Kit
Custom Intercooler Mister
ECS Dog Bone Mount
Starion front mount intercooler (waiting until warranty is done)

To Make It Stick:
H&R Cup Kit
Eibach front and rear sway bars
16” BBS 2 piece’s (stock Wolfsburg wheels)
Yokohama ES100’s

For My Personal Amusement:
Alpine 6.5 inch in dash screen
Alpine 6 disc changer
1 10” MTX Thunder 6000 Sub
Play Station 2
Kenwood 1000 watt amp
Sirius Satellite Radio

Random Interior Bits:
25psi VDO Boost Gauge with New south Performance column pod
Cobra radar detector
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.