Poll

Anyone love doing their own suspension???

Yes, the best four days I ever spent.
4 (100%)
It was ok, although I really like to shovel dog poop.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: October 04, 2004, 06:35:45 AM

Author Topic: Its officially started.  (Read 2555 times)

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« on: October 04, 2004, 11:35:45 AM »
The mods are on.  WOWEE!!!  Millitek exhaust, H&R Coilovers, Brenbo X-drilled-slotted rotors, ceramic pads, Forge diverter valve, and soon coming The Chip.  My car has taken on a whole new life.  It spools quicker than snot on a doorknob!!  It sounds absolutely amazing.  I can take corners now, and stop really well.  Thanks to a really good friend Vince, and Andy34K and nearly two days....(thanks to front suspension, and right rear caliper)  it was finished.  Two recomendations, get the little metal tool for the front struts!!!!  And on my MK4 my rear calipers require a special tool to compress the piston.  Get the tool before you mess with the brakes.  So thanks to everyone for input.  Lets get to driving.
ME :arrow:  :D  8O
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Scuba2001

• Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 12:41:53 PM »
Glad that it all went well.  Dont forge to bed those pads/rotors in properly.

And, I dont think its ever taken me 4 days to do a suspension, but it was till fun.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Its officially started.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 12:41:53 PM »

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
Its officially started.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 02:14:18 PM »
Oh come on. :) The fronts just take that long without the benefit of the spindle spreader and using makeshift spreaders -still not fast, but just not quite that slow. Even still we had those together just after lunch and that was after diddling with the front brakes too. The rears flew together if you remember. Only reason those weren't done til late was because of that passenger side rear caliper and fitting the exhaust.

That was just a LOT of work for one day and it's no surprise that it ended up taking two.

Glad it's all worked out though. i wana hear that milltek growl! :twisted:
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 02:36:19 PM »
All things considered it went swimmingly.  I am trying to be funny about the very interesting situation.  I learned a whole lot about working on my car, and I am very thankful for the experience.  I earned these gray hairs.  Again thanks for the hands andy.  :)

Chas

• Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 02:42:53 PM »
It's not just the MK IV cars that have those nasty little rear calipers that need the special tool. Actually the same calipers are used on many VAG cars. I think Jay's 2.7T A6 has the exact same calipers on the rear. And they all need the tool.

I finally when out and bought a complete set that does many different tryps of calipers. It can be used on the rears as well as the fronts.

Anyhow, I'm glad you got it all on! Now you can go to the detailing day and just buff your baby.

Oh, and you can polish your car too...  :lol:  :P  :wink:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 02:51:30 PM »
Quote from: "coveredbytheblood"
Again thanks for the hands andy.  :)

You know yer welcome!  :D
(Reliving that primal grunt of success when that passenger side front strut finally sunk into the housing...) *wistful sigh*

hehe
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 11:53:48 AM »
Pics from this day are now in the gallery.  I dont have final pics yet, because my front is set at maximum hight.  My new tires were rubbing my new coils.  Im looking for spacers to offset the difference.  Pictures will come soon.

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 06:09:24 PM »
Just a quick thought here Andrew, you did get your alignment done after the install, right?

Could be pretty hard on your new rubber driving cross-country if it isn't.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 06:38:38 PM »
Can I plead the fifth on this one??

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 06:40:48 PM »
I know its probably not the smartest thing to do.  I was trying to wait for my spacers, and then get the alignment done.  No spacers yet.  I just ordered some today.  Unfortunately I leave tomorrow morning.  So hopefully its not that big of a deal.  :?

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 06:45:08 PM »
well, mine had some toe-in after the install.

i see your problem with the spacers... poo. no chance you could find them locally?
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 06:48:35 PM »
I looked at Discount, Sportwerks, Performance wheel and tire, VW, Jazz it up..  All I found were 6MM.  I need at least 8MM.  :(
Thanks for the reminder though.  Trust me, I want my car to be lowered all the way around not just in the rear.  Guess I just have to wait.  I will be doing the alignment first thing when I get back though.  Should have all the pieces by then.

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 06:54:00 PM »
Stan's Alignment & Brake Service
1520 Chester St
Aurora, CO 80010
Phone: (303) 366-1475

This is where i got mine done, after being told by Firestone that my car was too low and another alignment place that told me my wheels were too big... whatever.  This place was super cool, quick and professional. Cost was $39.95 i believe.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Its officially started.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 07:41:07 PM »
Thanks.  I was probably gonna try to pull some strings and see if a friend of mine at Mt.  States would hook me up.  If that ends up not working out, I will check that place out.  Thanks,