Author Topic: Finally, it's on... (pics)  (Read 2019 times)

Chas

• Modded
Finally, it's on... (pics)
« on: October 07, 2004, 01:02:18 AM »
Well it only took me slightly less than a full year to get this on, but it's now done.

Around my house I am known as the "King of Unfinished Projects!"

And this was a prime example of that. While this little mod didn't take me nearly as long as my basement finishing project is taking (8 years and counting  :roll: ), it did take more time than I wanted it to. Normally mods on our cars are done quickly and with enthusiasim. It's just plain fun, isn't it?

Well this one was some kind of freaky mojo, karhma thing or something like that. I've always, always want one of these on my car ever since I first saw it on a Fjord Blue '98 Passat that was totally decked out. Probably one of the first really cool Passats out there and the inspiration for several of my mods.  Back then there weren't too many body mod parts available for Passats, but this was and still is (IMHO) one of the best.

Without further adue, I give you the Zender Rear Spoiler!!!!!

I had finally had enough of this very expensive box sitting in my garage, always underfoot. So I took it to a local Auto Body shop and asked if they could paint it up for me. This was actually the second shop that I had gone to. The first place has lost a customer for life. They have painted 3 other cars of mine and they willl never get another dime of mine after being so rude to me when I took the spoiler into them. Freaking insurance whores!!

Anyhow, the second place had no problems doing what I wanted and they did an excellent job for me. The stripped it down, primed it, painted it, backed it and then polished it for me. All for $138.  Well worth the cost I think.

I had been trying to paint this myself for almost a year. Failing miserably each time. I know I have talents in some areas, painting is not one of them.  :roll:  :cry:

So now I'm happy!  :lol:  :D  :)  :roll:

Another project done.  :roll:  :wink:  :P
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 02:47:35 AM »
looks great Chas, looking forward to seeing it in person

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 02:47:35 AM »

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 10:41:54 AM »
$138 to paint that?  Looks great my man.  I painted mine, turned out ok, but wasnt the best.  Maybe I will get mine repainted professionally.  Great Job Chas, it looks really nice on the car as well.

mghunt

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 04:59:34 AM »
Looks great Chas.  Not only is painting more difficult that it looks, the color almost never comes out the way you want it in all lighting conditions.  The pros are artisans IMO.  This is why they charge alot.

-Mark

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 10:15:20 AM »
Chas, I can't ever see any of your posted pics, but I know what it looks like and it looks awesome! I'm glad you finally it on so I don't have to go over to your place to see it sitting on the garage floor and you cursing it to hell!!!

:lol: :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 10:24:48 AM »
Very nice, I can't wait to see it in person.  The paint job looks top notch.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Chas

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 02:06:43 AM »
Well the paint work was done very well. Only it isn't "exactly" the same color as my car. It has a slight blueish cast to it where my car has more of a greenish tint. But it's close enough to be happy with, I guess. Had I been able to get my paint to stick properly the color match would have been better. But great color match is nothing when the surface isn't smooth. I was getting all this "alligatoring" effect happening when I went to spray the color part over my primer coat. That's why I gave up for so long.

Anyhow, I love the look of the car with this one. It looks very nice in person and I even got a comment from a MK IV TDi owner today about it. He had a very sharp Black Jetta TDi with Audi TT wheels. Nice car! But he appriciated the effect of the Zender spoiler too.

Anyhow, thanks for the nice words!!!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 01:13:15 PM »
That's awesome!  I still want one of these too.  I definitely feel the same way about painting.  Each time I do it I get better, but it's frustrating to not get it right.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 01:16:00 PM »
Chas, it looks fantastic!  I was always a fan of the Zender, so much so I am looking at the one they offer for the A6.

Gald you finally got it on, what a great addition.