Author Topic: My Car Sounds like a Banchee Caught in a Stone Grinder  (Read 2412 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
My Car Sounds like a Banchee Caught in a Stone Grinder
« on: October 10, 2004, 12:55:02 PM »
Read this at the risk of feeling really sorry for me:

Ever since I did the Timing Belt 8O, I've had a funny belt slapping against plastic cover type sound at REALLY low RPM's and usually just when starting out.

I think I know what it is.

Last night Tish and I were on our way home when I accidentally, mildly popped the clutch. It was almost completely engaged and I let it out the rest of the way a bit too soon.

I heard a funny plastic popping/clunking sound.

My car started screaming. I looked at Tisha and said, "I think I broke something." I stopped, restarted and resumed forward motion but the sound was there until I started spinning at about 2K. Then it was gone. After that for another 10 minutes, I only heard something like hollow plastic intermittently while starting out in first at low RPMs.

We pulled into a parking lot to listen. She said it was a belt, I said it was too grindy sounding to be a belt...probably a pulley going out. I put the car in reverse, worked the clutch a little bit, then pulled forward and it started its howly-grinding sound again. We listened and queried and continued to drive home. The sound didn't return except the intermittent one at low RPMs.

I pulled into the garage and backed up to see if I could get that sound again, I did and it was loud. Especially in a garage. I pulled forward, popped the hood and started poking around.

My initial deduction was the pulley for the power steering pump was going out. I got underneath and it was nearly evident that's where the sound was coming from. Sounded kinda like pulley bearings going. Poked around for a little while longer to no further avail.

This morning before work, I went out to the car and had my wife run it, still howling, and do a few things. I had my Touraeg flashlight at this point (nice little tool) but discovered nothing except that I can't isolate the sound 100% to the PS pulley.

Tisha shuts off the car and then I see it. My lower TB cover. It's getting the crap kicked out of it by my dual-belt pulley. The cover, with its bottom edge torn to shards, is firmly seated on the edge of the pulley.

Hmmm...I'll put the bank on this one. Guess I forgot to tighten something down. So, the car is sitting and awaiting my to torn apart. Not cool. I don't think I'll be able to get much done tonight or even tomorrow as I have to work but I should get a at least a start on it. Tuesday's going to be the big day I pull EVERYTHING off to the the TB. This sucks.

If anyone wants to come hang out at my house Tuesday that'd be totally cool. Otherwise, I'll let you all know what the extent of the damage is and which bolt I forgot to put back 8O  :?  :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 03:34:28 PM »
JR, really sorry to hear about this man.  Atleast you were able to find out where things were coming from.  Its not always the easiest thing to get all buttoned up and to remember exactly where everything goes.  Keep us posted on how the patch work goes.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 03:34:28 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 12:57:02 PM »
Okay...so I'm sure nobody cares, but in case someone does....

I pulled the car apart and found:

A bolt out and loged in the underdrive pulley,
A host of missing nuts and bolts,
Nothing of which fixed my car....GRRRR!!!!

About 7 hours in, I found the problem: an unsecured bracket was resting against my power steering pump pulley. The end that was still connected, was missing a nut, and the other end was SUPPOSED to be connected to a bracket via bolt underneath the PS pump.

Here's the kicker: The only way to get the bracket to its proper location is to move the PS pump. Looks like to me that a VW mech. didn't secure all the parts properly...hmmm...is that normal :roll: GRRRR.

I DIDN'T remove the PS pump. I pushed the bracket all the way up out of the way and Randy cranked a new nut to tighten everything down. All better :)

I also shaved the lower TB cover to keep it from shredding itself even further on the UD pulley.

I know have no more belt-slapping at low RPM sound and no grinding. My car's nice and solid too :)

Much thanks to Randy for assistannce and $0.54 for nuts and washers ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:12:13 PM »
Good news.  Glad to hear that the problem was not worse.  :)
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:18:56 PM »
Wow, thats crazy, glad you were able to find it and fix it.  When my Scout let me down in Westcliffe this summer and I limped it to a garage in town, I was shocked to find  that teh t-case was just hanging there, bolts missing and most threaded way out.

I think there is some bolt gremlin that goes around loosening bolts on cars.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 01:53:29 PM »
Thanks for the fun on Tuesday JR!!!

Next week you can come over to my house and help / watch the TURBO SWAP!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 02:21:00 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"
Here's the kicker: The only way to get the bracket to its proper location is to move the PS pump. Looks like to me that a VW mech. didn't secure all the parts properly...hmmm...is that normal :roll: GRRRR.

That's called job security. :wink:

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 02:45:38 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"
Quote from: "jayryan"

That's called job security. :wink:

HAHA!

Hmmm...Turbo Swap? That could be a good time...we need beer this time 'round.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 03:06:42 PM »
Great job tracking that one down.  It is always a good way to recover being ticked off about what happened when you can fix it and think about all the money you saved!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 06:29:51 PM »
Good job troubleshooting, JR!  glad you found that.  That sort of thing drives me crazy!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.