Author Topic: Boost leak??!! I need some help!!  (Read 1874 times)

Babyrs4

• Stock
Boost leak??!! I need some help!!
« on: October 13, 2004, 05:41:56 PM »

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: I have a boost leak!!

I need some help to find where the boost is leaking from.
ok, so hear's what's happenning, when I do full throttle the boost goes up right? and just when it hits 0.5 bar there is this "shiiiiiiiiiu" sound, all the way up to 1.0 bar, while I should be having 1.3 bar. and that sound is RATHER then the sound from the turbo spooling. so, I talked to few people about the problem and they told me to look for any torn pipes or tubes, like the vacum lines. so I did my best to look for that broken line(s) but...I couldn't find anything that seems wrong or broken. then I checked the BV(that's not stock). I dismounted it and put it back again, just to make sure. I also checked all the clamps on bigger pipings arround turbo, and arroung intake and intercooler.
has anyone experienced something similar?? or if any one could take a look at it, that will be great.
be waiting for responses, thanks guys!!
will.

Babyrs4

• Stock
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 05:02:29 AM »
...?
guess it was a tougher problem than i thought it would be...
I'll just probibly take it to the garage...
well, thanks anyway.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 05:02:29 AM »

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 09:50:15 AM »
Have you replaced the stock vacuum lines with with newer silicone ones?  Sometimes the older stock stuff is hard to tell if there is a leak.  I'm not not sure what kind of hose is stock on hte Audi but the the Passat has a cloth covering over the tubing and that can make it hard to determine if there is a leak in the hose.  Just a thought.

Rob

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 12:48:42 PM »
Stock there should be the cloth wrapped rubber hoses.  If they've never been replaced, it's probably time considering the age of the car.

The vaccum hoses running to the BPV and elsewhere in the engine should be felt out with your hands.  If they are stock they should feel brittle by now.  Becareful how much you test that because if you don't have replacement hoses and you disintegrate one then you are stuck until you replace it.

As an example in my old 2000 Passat last fall I decided I needed to replace some vaccum hoses, after checking mine they were basically falling apart in my hands.

I had a similar issue with my 2000 A6 2.7T this Spring.

While we feel bad for not getting back sooner, boost leaks are never just a "oh it's this" answer.  There is also a lot of posts on this topic and I think after awhile people feel that through a search the standard troubleshooting can be found.

Don't take it personally, but that's just how forums go sometimes. The 1.8T is an awesome engine, but there are so many little hoses that it can be hard to find which one is a trouble maker.

Another idea is to maybe try a 710N bypass valve.  They are $30 at your local VW/Audi dealer.  It's always good to have a backup as is, but I believe they are rated for 225HP  and that way you can ensure there is no leak in your aftermarket BPV.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 12:54:14 PM »
On a side note - I do have some extra silcone vacuum line tubing if you want to try some of it.  My cell# is 303-885-7682

Rob

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 01:16:25 PM »
Ha, so do I, in red of course, drop me a PM as well if you need some.

Babyrs4

• Stock
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 12:02:15 AM »
thanks guys, but I found where it was leaking from. intresting enough, it wasn't the vacume hose... yah, it was the rubber hose lacated right at the left side of the coolant reserve. so... few people I've taked to told me that they've never seen that pip rip like that.  
oh, and the BV I have is Stratmouspheir. and i bought it like 6mounths ago so it should be ok for a while...right.
anyway, thanks again for your consern. will

Babyrs4

• Stock
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 12:09:21 AM »
oh, I'm deffinetly intrested in that silicone hoses, I'll buz you on PM. thanks again RobD and gietl.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 03:40:29 PM »
You know that is more common than you think.  I know I have heard of this more than once on Clubb5.com.