Author Topic: disaster strike at VWOTG  (Read 3015 times)

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
disaster strike at VWOTG
« on: May 19, 2003, 05:23:16 PM »
OK
saturday i baught a set of 2.7t A6 wheel for my car and stayed up until 2 am detailing the crapola out of my car, and shaved all the badges off the back end of it to give it that nice "cleean and smooth look" waxed it 4 times, and scrubbed the engine compartment....
 i did all this in preperation for the showand this is what she looked like at the show....

and here is what happened as i left the show at 3:05pm

here is what happened, i pulled out onto sante fe, and had not even gone a city block when a STUPID woman sideswiped me because she wasn't looking at what she was doing when switching lanes,

then after she hit me she honks her horn, i pull over, she starts yelling, her husband (dude had a bleach blonde MULLET) gets out of the car and wants to fight until he see the rest of the 719 crew walk over to my car.....WTF

so the cops show up 30 min later, talks to the woman, who started to cry as soon as the cop pulls in (she was laughing and joking with her husband 2 minutes before the cop got there) he goes over to her, talks to her, comes askes me to fill out a statement, looks at her car, he says that she can leave. She does. AND WITH OUT ASKING ME what happened OR EVEN LOOKING AT MY CAR...HE GIVES ME A TICKET!!!!
WTF
 i then tried to explain what happened and he said it does not matter that she was in the right lane and merged into me! she was on sante fe first and had the right of way, even though i was also completely on sante fe, and doing the speed limit and moving with traffic....she was on it first!!!
WTF

so today i called my lawyer and her insurance company, and my insurance company, both cars have to be assested for damages, and arbitration must comence, I have to go back to denver to get pics of the intersection also.....DAMN IT!!!!! This is going to be a long FIGHT!

PLUS
     AS AN ADDED BONUS TO THE MAJOR INJURY TO MY CAR AND INSULT TO MY INTEGRITY BY SOME ASSHOLE COP AND A TRAILER TRASH FAMILY IN A PONTIAC...... I GET TO GO TO COURT FOR CARELESS DRIVING!!!!

WTF!!!    
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 06:19:44 PM »
That freakin sucks!  I am so sorry that happened, I had the same thing happen to me years and years ago.  I was 16 and the cop just assumed it was my fault.

IIRC, careless driving is like a 4pt ticket, that is total BS.  If it gets ugly try and post an ad looking for witnesses that can corroborate your story.

That cop blew it on that.  I would definitley say he had a prejudice because he probably knew, just from all the people, that you came from the show. He probably figured you were showing off and something happened.

Of course I am just speculating and have no proof that my thoughts are correct.

Lets just hope this works out in your favor or if it has to be against you it is at least minimal.  

One last note, if she didn't have to get out of your way for you to get onto Sante Fe and you were already in the lane and she hit you changing lanes, I would think she is at fault.  Just because someone wants to change lanes, does not give them the right of way.  

You can also look up the colorado drivers handbook online, it is in PDF format.  You only need to know this book and a stupid driving test to get a license.  The book should be able to clarify the whole lane change right of way thing.  (I am not saying you dont know the laws/rules, but sometimes the cops don't). On that note some things are left to the interpertation/discretion of the officer and that's what this sounds like.  He picked a favorite and had no regard for law and order.

Well good luck, and I'm sorry I didn;t get to come by and meet you yesterday, I realize there were a bunch of people there I wanted to try and finally meet but I was really tired. :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 06:19:44 PM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 06:22:05 PM »
:cry:
Wow.
WOW.
That sucks.  Sucks BAD.
Pinche Pontiac-drivin', blonde'mullit wearin' white trash.  That's the kind of crap that makes me lose so much faith in our traffic law enforcement system.
I feel your pain as I've been there before myself.
Damn.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

kt037

• Modded
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 06:24:52 PM »
yeah it sucks, but things will work out in the end.... wish i could have met more B5ers at the show.

thanks
OT DISH?-----> nope!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 06:27:35 PM »
I am so sorry that happened.  I noticed your car at the show...love the wheels BTW.  I wouldn't mind those for my allroad.

Make sure to keep us updated with how things are turning out.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 06:27:46 PM »
Quote from: "kt037"
yeah it sucks, but things will work out in the end.... wish i could have met more B5ers at the show.

thanks

Yeah dude, I didn't even realize that was your car!  The wheels look very classy.  At least those aren't damaged.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

kt037

• Modded
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 06:40:44 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Quote from: "kt037"

thanks

Yeah dude, I didn't even realize that was your car!  The wheels look very classy.  At least those aren't damaged.

acctually, one did ill get a pic and post it later, but i was having them  refinished anyways...[/img]
OT DISH?-----> nope!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 06:48:25 PM »
Wow Mike that truly does suck.  Especially since th cop was such a presumptuous bastard.  Just like Jay's Cat, Elvis.  He should not have let her go BEFORE he took your statement.

A similar thing happened to me when I was in college.  

I saw your car and those wheels are sweet on there.  If I had known that was you I would have been looking for you!

Good luck brother and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rascal

• Stock
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 05:06:28 PM »
Hmmm.  I'm confused.  In the pictures, she hit your car behind you.  So she should have seen you and would have been near your blind spot.  If you were driving straight through an intersection and she was turning right and merging in your direction, I don't see how any logic would suggest you get a ticket.

Colorado driver's manual:
http://www.mv.state.co.us/driverforms.html
http://www.onlinedmv.com/CO_driver_manual.html

My brother was in an accident on I-225 last week.  He rear ended someone, plus three vehicles in front of the vehicle he hit.  The interesting part was that a Mustang near the front was totaled, the front of the vehicle my brother hit was pretty bad, but my brother's truck just had smashed fender and lights.  It's as if the vehicle in front of my brother wasn't paying attention and hit the Mustang.  The sudden stop caught my brother by surprise while he was checking the lane next to him to switch lanes.  Only my brother got a ticket.  None of the other cars did.  Aren't you supposed to leave space between your car and the car in front?  Sometimes I think some cops are just lazy.

kt037

• Modded
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 07:22:58 PM »
there is NO logic too it at all
 the cop was lazy and blinded by the ladies tears....plus maybe the fact that all of 719 (and our cars) were in the gas station parking lot when the cop got there;  my car was nicer than hers and i am half her age.....plus we just left the car show, must have though everyone was showing off and acting stupid... and based it on that instead of the facts, which he did not even bother to look into, just asked who saw it and then had them make a statement and that was it

the cop assumed that is what happened....the jackasch!
OT DISH?-----> nope!

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 07:25:59 PM »
Here's a direct quote from the Colorado Driver's Manual:

CHANGING LANES and PASSING: You must yield the
right-of-way to vehicles already occupying the lane you
wish to enter or use for passing. Do not change lanes if
another vehicle must slow down for you.

I would think that would be all you need to know about your situation.  I hope you're able to get a judgement in your favor.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kt037

• Modded
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 05:25:58 PM »
yes i hope so to, but it is not looking good!   damn it!
OT DISH?-----> nope!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
disaster strike at VWOTG
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 05:50:35 PM »
Quote from: "velo"
Here's a direct quote from the Colorado Driver's Manual:

CHANGING LANES and PASSING: You must yield the
right-of-way to vehicles already occupying the lane you
wish to enter or use for passing. Do not change lanes if
another vehicle must slow down for you.

I would think that would be all you need to know about your situation.  I hope you're able to get a judgement in your favor.

Mike, take that into court and show it to the judge.  They like it when you do your homework.  I have getten out of a couple of these in this manner...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.