Author Topic: Long travel clutch pedal  (Read 1593 times)

verc

• n00balicious
Long travel clutch pedal
« on: October 11, 2004, 08:07:53 PM »
During the recent Track Day at SCR I got to drive my Passat as well as my dads Mini Cooper S around the track.  I was suprised by the huge difference in the clutch pedal.  The Mini engages as soon as it comes off the floor.  My Passat doesn't engage until near the top of the travel.  Is this normal? Is it adjustable? Or is my clutch just about shot.

Any ideas?
001.5 GLS 1.8T Manual APR Stage 1
Fresco Green
17" Ronal wheels

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Long travel clutch pedal
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 08:16:26 PM »
Its probly just the way your clutch is, I dont really know what a passat clutch feels like, but im sure that its similar to my MKIV witch grabs pretty high in the pedal travel. Their is some adjustability, just about any good mechanic should be able to adjust it for you, although I dont think that you can actually adjust the pedal travil, but just guessing on that. When your clutch starts to go, you will notice some symptoms, slipping etc.

Hope this helps

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Long travel clutch pedal
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 08:16:26 PM »

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
clutch travel
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 12:21:25 PM »
I've done a fair amount of work on clutches, and this is how I understand the mechanics:  There are two things that will pushing the clutch pedal further (more travel to the floor) --- (1) bad hydraulics, either leaking or air in the line (as the hydraulics move in the line, the air bubbles compress and require more pedal travel than if they were not present); or (2) excessive wear on the clutch plate which in turn requires more travel.  As I understand is, when pushing the clutch pedal down, if it disengages the gear quickly, the clutch is in better condition than if you needed to push a long way.  Longer travel (or as you say, engagement quicker when releasing from the floor) is usually a bad sign.

If a clutch pedal is adjustable (I'm not aware of a vehicle that allows this), it would have to be done at the pedal, and only changes the position of the pedal in relation to the floor, and would not have anything to do with the condition of the clutch.  Also, note that since these B5s seem to have engagement at the top of the pedal stroke, it is not entirely necessary to put your foot to the floor to change gears (although not a bad idea when you aren't on the track).

I'm guessing that it's your dad's clutch that may have issues (he might consider flushing his hydraulic fluid).  Otherwise, I suppose they are simply different, but neither are mechanically failing.

-Mike

gragravar

• Supercar
Long travel clutch pedal
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 12:39:26 PM »
hey Mark!

the more I think about it, every Audi I have had has engaged in the top half of the pedal stroke, and Stacie's BMW as well as all the other BMW products I have driven (Jud's 650, Jefe's 540, test drives of other 3 series) all engage in the bottom half of the pedal stroke.    Jon - do you see this on your mini too?

Given that I would bet you don't have a problem with the passatt.  The question about adjustability remains.  I have no idea, anyone else?
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

gragravar

• Supercar
Long travel clutch pedal
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 02:32:08 AM »
thought I'd move this to the top of the recent post file by posting this in order to make it easier for Jon to find.

Hey Jon - you have owned both a passat and a mini.  your thoughts?
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
correction
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 02:18:28 PM »
Since this post is sticking around, I'd like to correct my grammer by adding a missing word.  I meant to say:

There are two things that will REQUIRE pushing the clutch pedal further...

Also, I'd like to add this --- my passat's clutch definitely took some getting used to b/c the engagement is rather high on the pedal.  It is different from other cars b/c most engage sort of in the middle of the travel.  I do not know why VW engineered the clutch pedal this way, but it is obviously deliberate.  It is a nice change from my ornery old 900 turbo, which had its engagement slowly slip to the bottom of the floor, and then require me to repair it again and again.

-Mike