Author Topic: Guess What?  (Read 5650 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« on: October 22, 2004, 11:49:49 AM »
I hate my Passat right now. My wife says we're having a lover's quarrel and it's bleeding into the rest of my life. Two things, as I guy, I can't put into compartments, my car and my wife. So I'm really in a pissy mood today.

I attempted to change the rear pads last night. Attempted is the key word here. As of this morning, the car is up, wheel off, brake fluid covered caliper resting on the rotor, parts everywhere.

The caliper won't compress. Chas' caliper tool is stuck in the caliper :oops: I feel stupider than a you know, a stupid monkey or something. WTF!!?? It took me a max of 15min to do the each front pad but the rears? What the hell?

I hate my car. This sucks...and I want want to talk about it anymore :evil:

On the upside, I bought a hydraulic floor jack last night...boy is that nice!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Guess What?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 12:20:03 PM »
dude, If I was not in the middle of 4 nights in a row, I would be there in a heart beat to help you out.  I really wish I could.

sorry for your troubles, in everything...sounds like a really bad day.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Guess What?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 12:20:03 PM »

Scuba2001

• Modded
Guess What?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 12:28:47 PM »
I dont know if you have thought about this, but did you try removing the cap on the brake resivour to releave te pressure when you compress the piston back into the caliper?  If you dont have that off, then compressing the caliper is impossible.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 12:55:35 PM »
Yeah, sorry. I forgot to mention that all caps have been removed and pressure's been released everywhere.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
Guess What?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 12:59:45 PM »
The tool that you were using, did it twist, AND compress?  If it didnt, then its useless.  Since the rear calipers have a built in "ratchet" system for the parking brake, if the piston isnt compressed while its being turned, then it wont go back into the caliper.

Food for thought.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 01:03:42 PM »
Yup. It's the rear caliper tool thing. Unfortunately, it's stuck now partially because the piston was so compressed, the tool wouldn't fit. I've got it to turn once, but now, nothing.

I'm gonna see if I can get some pliers and work it back just a couple more MM's.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Guess What?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 01:05:28 PM »
Right steve.  Hey Jr.  Dont be discouraged young padewon.  My car was up for two days as well.  Oh yeah and fo shizzle my nizzle you need the twisting caliper tool.  Here is what I did.  Loosen the brake bleeder.  Try to let the caliper out a little by loosening it NOT TO MUCH... (mine came all the way out initially, that was what caused my problem)  Then try to compress it again.  Its just like a screw.  Righty tighty, lefty loosey.  Hope this helps.  Oh yeah and the wife thing.  Try flowers, " Sweetheart I am sorry".  Those should work very nicely.  :)
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 01:12:47 PM »
Flowers for the car? I'm having a lover's quarrel with my car, not my wife :lol:

I HAVE the twisting caliper tool :(

I can move the tool, it just won't come out. It's stuck. And when I did get it moved, it twisted to the right, not the left.

Word. My Timing Belt was easier  :?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
Guess What?
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 01:20:11 PM »
if you have't got this done by tomorrow, let me know and I'll see if I can head down south to try to help you out.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 01:27:13 PM »
Thanks. I'm going to give it another shot tonight, but I'm not so sure about the whole situation. I got so mad last night, I threw my screwdriver at the garage door, cursed and went to bed.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Guess What?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 01:33:12 PM »
Wow.  Getting your car flowers may not help the situation so much.  Oops.  Maybe some nice bolt-on FMIC, or how about a really nice exhaust system.  Those should work.  Or even better yet.  BIG BRAKE KIT!!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 01:46:06 PM »
Well, I've my eye on an exhaust system right now and a lead on an FMIC. The brake upgrade? No. I wouldn't utilize it enough to make it worth my while.

Unfortunately, if I want my car to do anything for me, I kinda have to do it to the car first...not a very reciprocal relationship :?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
Guess What?
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 05:15:17 PM »
Hey JR!  I am totally wiling to come give you a hand, or at least keep you from beating your car with metal objects!  I have done rear breaks several times, and I know the frustration you face.  Were your rear pads really worn before you removed them?  If you can get the tool out, you may want to try a large pair of c-lock pliers and the old brake pad, to get a couple mm for the tool.  Getting the tool out may mean using the c-locks as well, and trying to compress the piston slightly.  

Let me know,

Jason
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 05:44:34 PM »
Um. Yup...you could definately say that the brakes were really worn. I should've done this about three weeks ago.

But I'm not going to get into that. I don't have C-locks so I may have to go get some tonight. I need something else to pull that tool out without causing any damage.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 08:12:35 PM »
Muy Importante...I hate working weekends, but that's beside the point.

Does anyone have any brake fluid that I purchase the remainder of? At least to get the last of it?

Graggy, I have to work tomorrow, but I suspect I'll leaving between 4 and 5pm to finish up the brakes (I hope). It looks like I may be going to see The Grudge tonight 8O I don't really like movies like that.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
Guess What?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 10:16:58 PM »
sure.  just let me know.  I have a bunch to do around here tomorrow, but I can try to get free towards the evening if you still need the help.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2004, 12:48:41 PM »
Okay, I'm getting off work at 6:15, then heading home to work on Brakes. I may pick up some Liquid Wrench someplace to see if that helps...grr. I have to find some brake fluid too.

As long as I get this done by Tuesday. (my wife and I are getting away for a few days)

Randy said he'd be more than willing to give me a hand but he may still be in Steamboat :roll: Anyway, any help would be appreciated 'cause I'm stumped.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
Guess What?
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2004, 05:53:25 PM »
I know it is a stupid question - but one other thing to check - do you have the emergency/parking brake off?   I only ask because leaving it on is something I would do.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
WTF??!!?
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2004, 05:56:16 PM »
:evil:  Yeah..the p-brake is off.

Edit a few hours later

Well, I'm not so happy right now. I didn't know that in order to change the rear pads I had to funking bleed half the funking brake system.

I have no brake fluid, I'm working till 8. Parts are closed on Sundays, I'm supposed to be leaving on Tuesday for a road trip, if I CAN get the piston to compress, the earliest I'll be able to get the car done is Monday 'cause I have to funking work tomorrow, if not, then the car is FUBAR until Thursday or until I can get a new rear piston and I may not be able to go on my trip! Oh yeah, and my wife is pissed 'cause the fluid I need, I can only get at the dealership!

All this because of funking rear funking brakes pads. WTF??!!?! I think this is the LAST VW I'll ever own. I want a car where I can get something like a rear pad change done in an hour and if I have to, get parts at the funking auto parts store down the street. FUNK!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
Guess What?
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2004, 09:40:46 PM »
hey JR.  sorry to hear this has become such an issue.  

I am having difficulty with the thought that the fluid you need can only come from the dealer.  There HAS to be someone/somewhere else to get it around town.  What kind of fluid does the car call for?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2004, 10:21:07 PM »
DOT 4 Hydraulic
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2004, 11:07:05 PM »
Hehehe....well, it's not that fancy G12 VW stuff, but I'm not gonna be performance driving anyway now am I?

I hope I don't kill anything if I use it.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Guess What?
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2004, 01:29:44 AM »
for any of my rear brakes, I did not have to bleed the system, none of the ones I have worked on  were like that either.

Not sure why your rears gave you so much trouble.  Wish I was there to lend you a hand, but doubt that would have made a difference anyway.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Guess What?
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2004, 10:34:17 AM »
So, last night, I started at about 8:30 and went to bed at 12:30.

I got the brakes done. Not much fun I had last night. I did brake Chas' Harbor Freight Tool trying to get the piston to turn. (that's when I got it unstuck, 'cause it just kinda fell out) I ordered a new one for him. I gotta call him and break the bad news :oops:

However, it was only until after it broke that I got the piston to compress.

I used a VERY large c-clamped loaned to me by Steve (Wyaka) and a ratchet with the brake tool piece that fits in the piston. By cranking the c-clamp as tight as I could get it and slowy ratcheting, the piston started to move.

After the initial break-loose, I just kept ratcheting and tightening the c-clamp until I was able to just ratchet and push on the piston. I did the same on the other side.

I'm off to get some brake fluid today from Checker. They sell DOT 4 :) While I was at it, I changed out rims to the Ronals so I can get winters put on and also replaced my headlight bulbs to Silverstar lowbeans and no-name brand bright white highbeams (HermanH).

FYI: The Brake piston turns OPPOSITE of a normal screw. (at least in my head) Your turn the piston LEFT to get it to compress and if you want it all the way out (why?) you crank it RIGHT.

ALSO: Sylvania Silverstars ARE Osrams. (It says so on the bulbs)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Guess What?
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2004, 12:19:21 PM »
all the ones I have done turn clockwise to turn in....that is strange that yours are different.....maybe they go in both directions?

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Guess What?
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2004, 11:46:57 AM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
all the ones I have done turn clockwise to turn in....that is strange that yours are different.....maybe they go in both directions?

Yeah, mine were like a screw to.  Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Glad to hear it finally worked out for ya.   :roll: