Author Topic: Who's replanced cont. arms/tie rod ends?  (Read 1259 times)

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
Who's replanced cont. arms/tie rod ends?
« on: October 25, 2004, 09:50:41 PM »
Here's my dilema:
http://images.snapfish.com/33%3B%3B977523232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2328%3D73%3C%3D566%3DXROQDF%3E23236665695%3C6ot1lsi

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3B%3B977523232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2328%3D73%3C%3D566%3DXROQDF%3E2323666569348ot1lsi

anyone replaced these? doesn't seem all that difficult, just wondering if anyone would be interested in lending a hand / Garage day.

Also, where to buy them? I know some more robust parts exist out there, any recommendations?

Rian
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 10:32:50 PM »
there are people that have done the tie rod ends, I believe Starlight B5, HawkmanA4, Lila, Shummer, and others have done it.

The process can be hard if you can't get the tie rod end out, I believe Shummer had that issue and it added extra expense and replacement of a rack, but I am not 100% on that one.

You can order stronger ones from www.ecstuning.com I believe, but there might also be other options out there.

If you can get them to come off the rack, they are really not that difficult to replace, but then with the new ones in, you will want an alignment ASAP.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 10:32:50 PM »

the_russian

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 10:57:01 PM »
I believe there's a write up with pics in the How-To Gallery...

P.S. Some beefy looking tires you got there...Nice :lol:

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
I did that recently and...
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 11:24:40 PM »
Rian,

I did that recently and had a tough time with it.  The driver's side was no problem, but the passenger side was another story.  Ultimately Liquid Wrench saved the day.  I suggest starting with LW, rather than using it only if you have trouble.  I'd even start dropping some of that on the day before you get going.  As for the part itself, talk to ECStuning, but I bought the Meyle (or similar spelling) part, which was a beefier, more sturdy looking part than the VW oem part.  Also, now that I think about it, I've still got a "bolt kit" that ECS sold me in case I needed them (but I didn't).  I'd let those go for cheap if you need 'em.  Another thought, you may need to buy a couple of open-ended wrenches if you don't have a 16mm, 18mm, and I think a 22mm.  Again, ask ECS exactly what you need, they've got this down to a science.  Also, be sure to measure the exposed thread with a micrometer prior to starting the job, as you need to get that distance (length of tie rod thread) the same on the new ones in order to have the car sort of driveable (you'll still need an alignment unless your last name is Goodyear or Firestone).  I'm willing to help if you wanted to do this job in my garage --- I work at home so timing is flexible, but mobility is not, as I have a 1.5 year old.

Mike (aka Lila)