Author Topic: Oh Darn, another Mod....  (Read 4094 times)

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« on: October 07, 2004, 01:25:02 PM »
You kiddin me?   :lol:  Front mounted intercooler has started.  Mounted up the core last night (10/6) and was able to find nice thick, sturdy 6" "L" brackets at Lowe's Tuesday night.  So far, my build tally is up to about $415 and some change.  I visited the powder coater this morning on my way into work.  Estimated about $50 to prep, coat, and clean my pipes once I get them sized.  All in all, I should have an effecient, and glamorous intercooler for about $475.  This weekend I am going to get the pipes finished, cleaned, and then monday get the pipes dropped off and coated.

Enjoy,
Steve

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 01:29:46 PM »
[cartman voice]Sweet[/cartman voice]

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 01:29:46 PM »

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 01:35:39 PM »
Thats the way to do it steve!

I think you should leave the grilles in!

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Chas

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 02:31:49 PM »
Looking good man! Take a look at the thread over at CB5. I posted some good info for you there.

Do it!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 03:45:41 PM »
Thanks Chas.  Greg, the grilles were on before I found out that they weren't clipped in all the way.  Lets say that they wouldnt have made it on the car once I backed out of the driveway.  The bumper isnt attached on the bottom of the subframe, so I need to adjust the brackets up a little.  With that said... the grilles were going to fall out, and I dont have an extra 50-100 to replace the grilles.  So, Im running with them off so everyone can see me "bling"

Thanks again,

Chas

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 04:47:41 PM »
Bling baby, bling!!!!

With the grilles in place they hide all your hard work.

Now that I have abandoned my stock lower grilles (as well as the upper one I suppose) I get so many more stares at my car as people drive by. It's a whole effect kind of thing, but it's the big ass polished FMIC that starts them looking to begin with.

Sleepers are fine and all, but I like just a bit of flash.

Now add a German license plate on the front and it's a whole other game. Where did I put mine...?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 05:51:44 PM »
Hahaha, I have 2 of those actually.  Im waiting for the new look before I put those on.  Otherwise, I'd have to drill the bumper, and it would chip with all of the construction they are doing here in my area.

Steve

mghunt

• n00balicious
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 05:04:25 AM »
Like I mentioned on CB5, looking great.  That is a nice looking unit.  BTW, how does the unit mount to the brackets?  Its hard to tell from street imports site what those two holes are like on each side.  Are they threaded?  Great work so far!  Hopefully I'll be installing the exact same unit within the next 6 months, before the heat comes back with a vengence...

-Mark

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 10:18:19 AM »
Schwaaaaeeeeeeet!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 11:20:20 AM »
Yes, the two holes on the top are threaded so I just used allen bolts and attached the brackets that way.

mghunt

• n00balicious
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 03:17:04 PM »
Awesome.  I assumed that they were threaded.  That's great that you can just use some machine screws to bolt the brackets to the IC and not have to worry about welding.  :)

Keep up the good work!!   :D

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 03:28:04 PM »
Finally all done.  Here's what the car looks like now.  Please excuse the dirt, its getting washed this afternoon.

Enjoy,

GTIguy

• Stock
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 03:44:33 PM »
Very nice work  8)
itrous is like a really hot chick with STD's, you really want to hit it , but you're worried about the aftermath.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 04:06:34 PM »
Quote from: "GTIguy"
Very nice work  8)

Agreed looks awesome Steve!
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 04:14:38 PM »
Fantastic Steve!

Don't forget to post the PN's and contacts of where you got all the parts. I'm shooting to have one on by the end of winter :)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2004, 05:54:47 PM »
Thanks.  It brings a pretty nice satisfaction knowing you made something sexy, and at a third of the price of buying it from a company already put together.

Steve

Chas

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 02:12:01 AM »
OK, yeah, so it looks really cool and all, but hows it run? Seen any difference yet? Or have you not had a chance to push it?

In a day or two, double check the turbo out connection to see it has slipped any. Also, double check the rubber outlet hose to the first metal pipe connection. that is where the big problem area is. I double clamped that one. And since then, no slipage at all.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 02:22:32 AM »
Chas, did you have your pipes flanged?  I made sure that I did a nice 1/4" flange all the way around all of my pipes tonight.  The silicone hoses are a really tight fit on the pipes now.  Once I get them powdercoated, thats going to make things even thicker.  Do you think I will still have issues with things "slipping" ?  Also, did you get my PM on CB5?

Lemme know,
Steve

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 02:25:01 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to add.  I havent been able to push things all that much.  I didnt have the pipes flanged until after I already pulled things apart this afternoon.  Tomorrow its off to the powdercoater to get a nice high gloss black finish on the pipes.  Today and yesterday I got up to about 18psi.  At that point I was hearing the whistles so I will look into doing the double clamp thing.  The leak is somewhere on the drivers side, as thats there its the loudest.  When it was boosting at 15-18, the power band was very nice.  I had consistance accleration and it revved nicely.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Re: Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 03:15:31 AM »
Quote from: "Scuba2001"

at first it looked like a pyramid of beer koozies!!!
What are you going to do with those on your car?!!!  :wink:
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Chas

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 04:31:05 AM »
Steve, I wrote this to you over at CB5.com, but the server is down or something. It concerns Herman's suggestion to look for leaks in your core.

"Steve, don't worry too much about the tiny little "Champaign" bubbles that you might see. Most IC's leak some when tested like this. Remeber what is actually happening with the IC on the car. There is a large leak at the output end of the IC. And air, like water will take the path of least resistance. It's easier for the air in the core to go out through the larger 2.5" open in your core than to leak out through a tiny pin hole. And the IC core is never pressureized to (in our case here with that 1.8T and a K03) 20psi for any more than a few seconds at best. So again, any tiny leaks you find shouldn't cause too much worry. But if you find a large, nasty leak that causes large bubles to pour out of the core, then you have something to worry about.  :-P  
I dought it though."

The "whistling" sound you were hearing was probably from the fact that you didn't have the pipes flanged at all. Yes I do have my pipes flared out at each end. I did it myself with a (don't laugh) Cresent wrench. It works fine and I saved a bunch of money doing like that. And it works too! It gives the clamp something to help back it up once the pressure is applied. The clamp digs into the silicone and stops all the leaks.

I bet that's where the whistling is coming from.

And I did get you PM at CB5. I also responded. I've had a busy weekend. I finished my utility shed I was building. Now I have more space in my garage for the real important things, like my car!

BTW, the car looks nasty with that big ass FMIC in there!  :thumbup:  Nice work man! 8)
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Chas

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 04:33:37 AM »
Know I need to go to bed. I leave for Bermuda tomorrow night (10/11/04). I'll be back late Friday.

It's work...

HA!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 11:34:45 AM »
Thanks Chas... I got your reply and also you reply to the thread.  Dont laugh at me either... but I became puzzled when I thought of how I was really going to "flange" the pipes.  Well a ball hammer didnt help, so I left the pipes alone all afternoon, thinking they would get flared on their own.  Well, they didnt.  So, I put my pipes in the bench vise, clamped the edge a little, and pulled back a few degrees.  Lets say that I have a nice .25" raise flare all the way around.  Hopefully that will fix my issues.

Thanks again Chas,

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 01:10:04 PM »
Steve, that is looking very nice!  Actually it looks awesome, especially for the price.  This is something I definitely want to do before next summer.  Damn, I may have to keep the B5 for a while longer before I go to the B6, just to do all of the stuff to it I want to do.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2004, 05:42:09 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Steve, that is looking very nice!  Actually it looks awesome, especially for the price.  This is something I definitely want to do before next summer.  Damn, I may have to keep the B5 for a while longer before I go to the B6, just to do all of the stuff to it I want to do.

Haha, I hear ya on that one. I think this will be an end to my heavy modding.  Start to save for a house/new car I guess.

Update though - the pipes were finished and I picked them up earlier this afternoon.  Walked around the building here at work and paid them a visit.  Total cost was $20 for the 3 pipes.  Since I paid in cash, I got them for a whopping $15 out the door.  Took 2 weeks, but the wait was very well worth it.

Pics when I get home tonight.

Steve

Scuba2001

• Modded
Oh Darn, another Mod....
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2004, 01:09:33 PM »

There you have it, the finished product.  More pics once I do the oil cooler install later this weekend.