Author Topic: All of it came in... and now I need help  (Read 2418 times)

evil_O

• Modded
All of it came in... and now I need help
« on: November 02, 2004, 09:49:12 AM »
Wheels, tires, springs, and shocks all came in yesterday.  Tires were mounted immediately on the wheels with no issues - thanks to a buddy.  I do not really have the expertise or time to put the shocks and springs in the ride myself, so I have spent quite a bit of time on here searching for a good shop to do the work.

So far I have come up with Avalon.  Each person I have talked to when I have called over has been extremely nice but I was a little disappointed today.  I called and asked when I could get the ride in and how much it would be.  I was told no more than five hours @ 80 bones an hour.... plus 150 for 4Wheel Align.  I was also told he would call me back to let me know when I could get the car in... and he never called back.

That just seems a bit high in price to me... especially when I never got a call back.

Can anyone recommend a competent shop?  I would like to get the install and align done this Wed or Thurs as they are my days off.

I am going to need an align as well... do the 18s need to be on when this is done or can it be done with the stockies on?  Does it make a difference if I get it aligned with the stockies on and then run the 18s in the summer?  You would think I would know this by now but I have run across some posts recently that kind of go against what I use to believe/practice.

I am in the Highlands Ranch area so I am trying to avoid a long drive up north but I am willing to do that for a shop that will do it right... at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the help.....
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 12:29:07 PM »
I found a great independent shop in Littleton.  Give Mark or Pete a call at Autoworks Colorado.  Very nice guys.  I think they're $80/hour, but they are far and away more accountable than any other shop I've found.  They do what they say they will do and they're people you can trust.
Or, you can e-mail Mark at autoworksco@earthlink.net
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 12:29:07 PM »

sediahaka

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 12:56:54 PM »
we could have a garage day and do the springs and shocks there. :lol:   a lot of people have done them before so there's lots of experiance.  i wish i had done mine with the club instead of with my friend that broke the wheel speed sensor.  alignments can be done anywhere as long as you're  car's not too low.  i might even be able to sneak you in to my shop on a saturday if you really need.  an alignment at a dealership is about $130 so anywhere you can find cheaper is a good deal.  i don't believe avalon has an alignment machine(i could be wrong don't quote me) so they'd probably just be sending it out somewhere else anyway.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 01:05:34 PM »
You want to have two alignments done. One when you get lowered and two when you put the 18's on. Both wheels will sit differently on the car mainly due to width. So it may be a little off if you don't get an alignment done after the CH's go on.

Speaking of which. Sarah, I could use an alignment on my car...can you sneak me in on a Saturday?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 01:42:01 PM »
If  you can spare a week day, I can help you with your suspension, I have done many shocks and springs, and have the compressors here at the house.  Only thing is, is that i am up North of Denver, and can only help on a week day, since I work on weekends.

I would help you install your suspension in exchange for some burgers....

cheers
jon

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 02:01:53 PM »
^ Jon does good work - that's were I did my front suspension install (he accepted a Chipotle burrito for payment)! :D

And as for the alignment(s) - I've been hearing about lifetime deals at big chain places like Firestone, where you pay something like $150 and can come back anytime to get aligned. I'm seriously considering it since supposedly I should realign every time I touch the suspension or wheels/tires.

...and I still haven't had an alignment since the coilovers went on!  :oops:
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 02:14:07 PM »
Firestone was kinda dumbfounded when I brought my car in for an alignment after installing the springs and shocks(another job performed by Jon, btw). They said something about the car being too low, another place told me that my 18" wheels were too big 8O ?! Anyway, I ended up going to:

Stan's Alignment & Brake Service
1520 Chester St
Aurora, CO 80010
Phone: (303) 366-1475

Cost me $39.99
They were fast, they were cool people, and there's a little performance parts shop next door where you can go look at all the Subaru and DSM stuff that won't fit on your car while you wait.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 02:32:53 PM »
Quote from: "hotani"

I suspect you should get that done Charles.  LOL... a little bit of snooping and I figured out I already know you... hehe...

Jeremy here if you did not figure that out.
 :D
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 02:36:07 PM »
Quote from: "34k"

Stan's Alignment & Brake Service
1520 Chester St
Aurora, CO 80010
Phone: (303) 366-1475

Cost me $39.99

Awesome info!!  Thanks.  Now I just need to get in touch with Jon.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 02:38:40 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo"
If  you can spare a week day, I can help you with your suspension, I have done many shocks and springs, and have the compressors here at the house.  Only thing is, is that i am up North of Denver, and can only help on a week day, since I work on weekends.

I would help you install your suspension in exchange for some burgers....

cheers
jon

Week days are perfect for me.  I have Tues-Thurs off.  Today is not good cause I may actually have to work.  Tomorrow would be most excellent... and I will buy you all the burgers your stomach can handle.  What is the best way to reach you?
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 02:41:24 PM »
This week is shot for me, closing on a re-finance in a moment here, blah, blah, blah, this week is full.  Next week is great though, and I am home Tuesday thru Thursday as well.

send me an email or PM through this board and we can lock in a time for next week.

cheers
jon

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 02:47:27 PM »
Quote from: "JerBear"
Quote from: "hotani"

I suspect you should get that done Charles.  LOL... a little bit of snooping and I figured out I already know you... hehe...

Jeremy here if you did not figure that out.
 :D

Yep, figured that was you - hehe.  :)
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 02:50:41 PM »
Jer....you got mail and PM....I am out the door now though, so we can chat later.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 03:05:36 PM »
Week days are perfect for me.  I have Tues-Thurs off.  Today is not good cause I may actually have to work.  Tomorrow would be most excellent... and I will buy you all the burgers your stomach can handle.  What is the best way to reach you?

That's creepy. I have the same days off. You don't work at Echostar do you? :lol: Oh wait, you have money to buy stuff :lol: ...nevermind. I'll swing up and give you guys a hand too :)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 03:07:53 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"

That's creepy. I have the same days off. You don't work at Echostar do you? :lol: Oh wait, you have money to buy stuff :lol: ...nevermind. I'll swing up and give you guys a hand too :)

O no... lol.  I get paid to drive fast with flashy lights  :wink:
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 03:09:59 PM »
sweet, we got the inside track on law inforcement!!!  Either that or first aid :lol:

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 03:31:21 PM »
Yeah? Which is it? I don't like my job :(

My dad has an uncle that works down at the pen/jail/men behind bars place. It's always a little unnerving to have a unifomed officer in your living room even if he is family :D I guess it wouldnt be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the only time you usually talk to cops is when you've been a bad.

...or: FIRE! FIRE! YEAH YEAH! FIRE! *beavis laughing*
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 11:22:09 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan"
I guess it wouldnt be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the only time you usually talk to cops is when you've been a bad.

It seems as though 90% of the time people are not happy to see us.  Typically however these "moments" in time are not good for people - if they were we would not be there.  Sort of a weird twist...

I view my job as "The Best show on Earth" and I have front row tickets  :D
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 11:26:30 PM »
Hotani

You have a PM

-jer
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i

"I hate cops."

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 01:26:05 PM »
I view my job as "The Best show on Earth" and I have front row tickets  :D

:lol: There've been quite I few times I've wanted to follow the flashing lights and sirens to check out the show...but never do.  :cry:

Well, I look forward to meeting you and your wife tonight. My wife just found out she's done at 7 so I'm gonna swing by the school and pick her up.

BTW: I have blue/green lights illuminating my license plate. Is that illegal? Is it illegal to have NO lights illuminating my LP? I'd hate to get pulled over for something stupid. :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner